Shopping
comments

Nitrogen-Filled Tires & Better Gas Mileage?

When I bought my tires from Costco, I noticed the caps for the valve stems were a flourescent green and asked about them – it means the tires are filled with Nitrogen. After reading a friend’s blog claiming that nitrogen-filled tires get 0.5 mi/gal better gas mileage and have a longer tire lifespan, I wanted to find some “proof” to these claims. The belief, also pushed by Costco in their tire brochures, is that the larger nitrogen molecules don’t react to temperature changes (better tread life and mileage) and lack moisture (won’t corrode the tire from the inside). It doesn’t affect my decision if these claims can’t be proven because there is a miniscule increased cost for using nitrogen (I can only “fill” my tires at a Costco, most gas stations only have air, but the service is free).

The theory is that the oxygen in the air inside the tire, when heated as a result of driving, can oxidize and rot the inside of the tire over time. A nitrogen filled tire won’t oxidize for obvious reasons, no oxygen. This is all anecdotal though and for most people, I think the tread of the tire wears out before the tire does from internal rot.

As for the nitrogen not reacting to temperature as much as compressed air, it’s probably a bit of snake oil magic going on there. At such low pressures, the nitrogen behaves like an ideal gas (just as oxygen and water vapor) so that means pure nitrogen will act just like regular air. A 0.5 mi/gal improvement in gas mileage is 1.6% improvement (on my car, which gets a little more than 30 mpg) which seems way too much.

It sounds like the “nitrogen is better than air” theory is not entirely true but since it costs me very little (if at all really) I won’t be complaining much about it. As long as you don’t pay for nitrogen, fill it with nitrogen; but if it costs you money, ask for regular air.

167 Responses to “Nitrogen-Filled Tires & Better Gas Mileage?”

1. John M says:

How do I locate service stations that have nitrogen in my area?

2. osagi says:

You can actually tell me that it increases gas mileage, but the best logical thing to do is to provide any evidence and any simple math calculation whether it’s actually worth it or not.

3. Norma says:

I have a question: Not knowing the difference between Nitrogen and Air filled tires, I just wonder what happens if I drive from Corona,CA to Dallas,TX and need “air” in one or more of the tires. Can I mix the two? What would happen? An explosion? What if I am driving somewhere and there is NO Costco. Can I purchase tires from Costco and have the tires filled with “regular” air?? Anyone have honest answers?

• Jim says:

I’ve been told mixing them isn’t a big deal.

• Norma says:

Thank you, Jim. You have been told that, but I cannot help but wonder who told you that. I didn’t take physics or chemistry in High School back in the late ’60s and have no idea what all the hype is about. Thanks for answering.

• Jim says:

I asked the Costco person, they said putting in a little regular air isn’t going to cause any problems. However, since Nitrogen is better, just go back and get it flushed and filled when you are by a Costco.

• SSgtDAC says:

The guy at costco works for costco, Costco has invested heavily in nitrogen equipment, any other answer would counter their claims and make them look stupid. Someone with a vested interest probably isn’t the best one to listen to.

• UV MIKE says:

WHAT’S THE COST

• Johnny says:

Norma,

Lack of education is never an excuse to challenge someone’s feedback. Do your homework and then agree or disagree. The air you breathe is not 100% Oxygen. It is actually comprised primarily of Nitrogen (Around 70-75%). The Nitrogen they put in your tires is approximately 95% Nitrogen. So in a sense, they are displacing approx. 20% of the ‘other stuff’ such as oxygen in that compressed ‘air.’ Wang’s assessment of the Nitrogen theory is pretty accurate. The mathematical data you request does not substantiate the cost. Keeo yoyur tires at pressure by checking them once a week (Everytime you fill up) and you will be in the same boat as the guy who has Nitrogen who is out $40 and has todrive out of his/her way to top off tires.

• Keith says:

There would be NO effect if you added Air, There would be no effect if you added nitrogen. You’ve been sold a bill of goods to begin with but adding a 22% oxygen/78% nitrogen mix(air) to nitrogen at the minute levels topping your tire pressure requires would have Zero Impact. Pretty much the same impact as filling your tires with nitrogen.

• SSgtDAC says:

Air is a mix, put in what ever you want it is perfectly safe. Nitrogen is a marketing gimmick for costco, not a corporate belief in the virtues of nitrogen.

• Marv says:

I had the motor home tires filled with Nitrogen this week. Olin Mott Tire says that if air is needed, just fill with air and when back in town, they will purge tire and refill with Nitrogen. There is a lifetime of the tire warranty on keeping of the tire filled with Nitrogen.

• Addi says:

If you have a “flat” tire or a situation where most or all of the nitrogen in your tire has been lost, you can also fill it with regular air if necessary, but we encourage you to visit your dealer as soon as possible to have the tire(s) purged and refilled with Nitrogen so you can continue to enjoy the benefits this product provides.

source:

• Anjula says:

Nop.. scince the air allready has 70% of Nitrogen. it meand even you filled up fith normal air, U still have 70% of Nitrogen in it.

• KenColgate says:

Narma, remember that the air we breath is already 72 % nitrogen ..no, it will not hrt your tires by mixing the two (pure nitrogen and ambiaent air).

4. Doug says:

I Have never read such ignorant posts in my life. NITROGEN does NOT explode, you idiots are thinking of hydrogen as was used in the Hindenberg.
    Nitrogen vs Oxygen in tires isn’t about which is better.85% of tires are underinflated according to GAO studies and thats why they mandated the TPMS in cars starting in 2007. Most drivers do not check their press every month, if you do then compressed air from a source with a dryer is ok. However, if you don’t check your pressure every month, using Nitrogen give piece of mind that you will only lose 1-2 psi every 6months to a year vs 1-2 psi per month with air.
    It’s that simple, the benefits from Nitrogen have nothing to do with the gas per se, it’s that nitrogen maintains proper tire pressure resulting in less friction associated with underinflation. The result better gas mileage, better handling, cooler tires, longer tire life.

• Pablo says:

Fact is, the air we breathe, and which gets pumped into our tires at most gas stations, is mostly nitrogen anyway, so there’s no problem with mixing…please refrain from using words like idiot, you idiot.

• george says:

Well I have had my car a month and the psi has drop 3, so how did that happen if it is only every 6months or so???

• Jake says:

George, I’m assuming it’s pumped with regular air, correct? If so, you kinda answered your own question. he said that NITROGEN loses 1-2 psi every 6 months or so, while REGULAR AIR loses that amount in about a month. If you do in fact have nitrogen-filled tires, then I don’t know, something is messed up. If not, then read the friggin’ post before trying to call him out.

5. Anonymous says:

not heard of befor but may be a gimick

6. Bigga says:

Ashok Mathur, business manager for nitrogen tire inflation at Air Products and Chemicals in Allentown, Pa., said that owners could save up to $100 a year by keeping tires properly inflated, even with air, but that it’s easier with nitrogen, which takes 30 to 40 percent longer to leak out.

In its January issue, Consumer Reports magazine published data on a nitrogen experiment. Over a year, tires filled with nitrogen lost less pressure than those with air, losing 2.2 pounds a square inch, compared with 3.5 for air.

7. Scottsdale Bubbe says:

We have consistently gotten 3 mpg more on long trips after changing to nitrogen. In our Hyundai Santa Fe ’04 6 cyl, we never got above 23 mpg on long trips. Now we get around 26 mpg. That is a better than 10% improvement.

The ride/steering control has also improved greatly since filling tires w/Nitrogen. Especially important in our very hot summers and monsoon rains.

You scientists and engineers and wannabees can theorize and pontificate and cock-spar all you want. The proof is in the results.

• mike says:

You sir, are a buffoon. Whether you filled your tires with helium or nitrous oxide, it dragon’s breath, they would perform the same, as long as you maintained proper tire pressure.

8. BluButterfly says:

I too purchased a set of nitrogen filled tires from Costco. I thought I had done all the right homework on the subject of “new tires”. My Ford Escape was going to be taking a long haul from Virginia to Florida. My son was then taking my SUV to Orlando, to college. By my living 1 hour away in Port Orange, I knew there would be occasional weekend travels home. Also, with his chosen college focusing on an Associates Degree in Golf and Management, my son would be traveling throughout the state of Florida for qualifying matches and golf tournaments. Having a safe, durable, efficient tire was critical criteria for my purchasing decision. I had basically decided on the Michelin. When I visited the Costco Tire Department I explained to the technician what I needed. I did not mention my chosen intention. He lead me straight to the exact tire I had already intended to purchase. Even when I expressed interest in several other tires, both more and less expensive, he continued to redirect me back to this same tire. That made me feel comfortable and fairly confident I had made the right choice to begin with. Unfortunately, my confidence was short lived. My son was in his second week of school when he attempted to complete a left turn. The right front tire “exploded”, sending him airborne with the truck being his space vehicle. Now, we had not signed him up for SUV space travel, so obviously he was in some seriously uncontrollable trouble. The Ford Escape flew through a wire fence, the passenger side front windshield was impaled with the steel pole, that up to that point was supporting a previously intact fence. The force of all of this activity then caused the truck to do a 180 degree spin, with such intensity that my son’s glasses were stripped off his face and sent flying to the rear of the truck. Now the SUV was coming in for a landing….right into a muddy embankment and landing flat, crushing the undercarriage, but not deploying the airbag. When my son cell phoned me that morning with this news I immediately thanked God for saving my son from serious injury or possible death. I threw a handful of clothes in a travel tote and reached my son as fast as possible. Initially, I just wanted to grab my child to convince me he was in one piece. I must have spent the first hour of my arrival hugging him.
    The following day I initiated a series of phone calls. I contacted Michelin, Costco, my insurance company and anyone else who could give me some insight into this situation. What I found to be most disturbing was Michelin kept referring to the incident as “a blow out”. Finally, frustrated and tired, I asked why no one would say the word “explode”? I was then informed that “tires don’t explode.” Then, I said, “would someone please tell me how a simple “flat tire” would send my son rifling through the air”. Still, I could get no one to use the words I was expressing. Furthermore, no one, including Costco gave interest to the fact that my son could have been fatally injured, or that I now had a vehicle laced with scratches and grooves to the entire hood and a windshield that was no longer legal to drive on Florida roads, or any other state road. Michelin wants “me” to mail them the tire, pay for the expenses of shipping, renting another vehicle, replacing the windshield, having the body work and mechanical repairs done. Then, once they have “scientifically” inspected the tire, and only IF the tire is defective, will they even CONSIDER addressing my claim for reimbursement for damage repairs. Do I have “DUHH” stamped on my forehead. “Michelin, everyone I talk to says…Can you spell L A W Y E R” ???

• BluButterfly says:

So far the tire has been inspected by 3 local independent tire service and sales companies. Unanimously they have all said the tire had a slow leak from a nail puncture. They informed me that when nitrogen is forced under pressure it heats up and eventually “explodes”. I am no mechanic, but, seriously I have never seen a tire that looked like bottle rockets were set off inside the tire.

• Keith says:

Ummm… first, 30-40 PSI isn’t really much ‘pressure’ in the normal scheme of things where chemistry/physics is involved. Nitrogen gas won’t ‘explode’ in this sort of situation. Read the definition of ‘explosion’.
        You’re trying to say a balloon will explode. It doesn’t. It leaks and/or pops. A tire is an extraordinarily strong balloon. If overinflated to failure, yeah, it’ll make a helluva noise and you’ll think a cannon has gone off and you don’t want to be nearby as flying rubber abounds. But from a chemical standpoint, no explosion has happened. Sorry.

Second, when a tire goes flat – especially from a slow nail puncture type of leak, the tires runs for quite a few revolutions under intense stress before becoming unmanageable/undriveable and failing completely. Tires are built to provide as much warning as possible before failing completely. As your son apparently ran the tire to completely flat before the tire finally gave out, yeah, it’s gonna look like a mess in there. I’ve been in a car where that happened and the inside of the tire was a mess.

Your tire had a NAIL in it. It was leaking air (meaning underinflated). You didn’t notice it or fix it and it went flat. Now you want the company to pay for the damage caused to you vehicle because you didn’t even marginally maintain their product? Sorry, you don’t want me on your jury.

• mike says:

Shutup buffoon. Let your insurance fix the car and stop glamorizing a tire blowout.

• boriswart says:

You sir, I am sorry to say, are very gullible. Also your son has been taking advantage of that gullibility for some time probably. I remember a girl on the high school swim team that got herself pregnant and told her mother that it must have been caused by seamen laced water in the swimming pool. The girl’s mother, like you also was very gullible and tried to make a public issue of the problem. She was met with disbelief by all but a few also very gullible people. I hope you can wake up and see what is really going on. Sincerely…

9. Anonymous says:

Regular air is already 80% nitrogen.

• BluButterfly says:

Dear Anonymous,
      I do not profess to understand or even know all there is to know about many things. That is why, if I am entering an arena where ignorance to information can be costly and/or deadly, I do try to become a more informed consumer by researching and asking questions. In this day and age “ignorance is bliss”, doesn’t cut you any slack. It was only after the “explosion”, I found several incidents blogged by people claiming to have had a similar experience. The majority of comments focused on the hype surrounding the automotive advantages of nitro use. Line up 50 people and ask them about their last flat tire. The majority will be nothing like mine. I know this. When a Michelin corporate executive tells me the “ONLY” way any tire could “explode” in a turn would be due to excessive speed by the driver during a turn, has never asked why a Jeep or other small SUV come installed with a “Roll Bar”. Durka..Durka..DUH!!! Sure, I have considered the possibility the tire may have been defective. Do you really think Michelin is going to get that tire and then inform me of a defect? Costco’s corporate executive heading their tire division called my son and urged him to tell me NOT to relinquish the tire to anyone, for any reason.(Hmmm…)

• matt says:

You mentioned a nail in the tire, if thats true it may have been leaking. If someone filled the tire up with a punture sealant aerosol can(these used to come with explosive mixture of propane as a propellant) the explosion wouldn’t be from the nitrogen then, but propane is definatly explosive. I read somwhere that a man in a garage was killed by one of these going off he was digging a nail out of the tire and the tool spaked against the steel belted radial.

• Randy says:

sorry to hear about your sons accident. I am not a tire expert, I don’t work for any insurance company. Cannot imagine a tire blow-out making a vehicle airborne (doesn’t provide enough energy). will make the vehicle difficult to control. maybe the blow-out caused him to lose directional stability of the vehicle hitting a small ramp/curb/hill and that caused the vehicle to become airborne? Take care, R ;)

10. George says:

“Regular air is already 80% nitrogen.”

A fact that the nitrogen is deadly/magic/explosive/amazing people seem to not recognize.

11. Cody says:

The only times when nitrogen filled tires are significantly beneficial is when the tires are put to extremes. Racers often put nitrogen in their tires because tires do sometimes explode from being overheated by burning out or drifting if they’re filled with atmospheric air. Since the nitrogen doesnt expand as much as air, it is much safer to use as it is less likely to blow up the tires.

Aircraft tires are also filled with nitrogen. When an airplane lands, the tire isn’t rotating before the plane touches down. So when it does touch, the tire often skids on the pavement before getting up to the speed of the aircraft, and since most jets fly at 300 mph or more, you can imagine that the heat generated from that touchdown would be impressive. That’s why airplanes need nitrogen filled tires.

As for the daily driver, most people probably wouldn’t benefit much from nitrogen, but hey, 0.5 extra mi/gal does build up over time, similar to the “penny saved is a penny earned” saying, so go ahead if you’re an economic person.

12. Cody says:

BluButterfly… first of all that story does not sound legit at all. If your Ford Escape was sent airborne and landed with a fence through the windshield and then turned 180 degrees into a mud embankment… there would be a lot more damage than a broken windshield and scratched hood. Your SUV would resemble a crushed coffee can. And unless your insurance agent is a complete imbecile, they would have told you it was totaled and you would have gotten a new SUV instead of worrying about getting your windshield replaced. Either you made that entire story up, or your son was exaggerating how the accident happened.

As for the tire having a “blowout,” that phrase means exactly the same thing as “blowing up” or “exploding,” but in a more technical fashion because that is the term used when it happens to tires. So please, don’t get frustrated at the Michelin people for not realizing your tires were laced with dynamite powder.

And yes, it is true that nitrogen, as well as any other gas on the planet, will expand under heat and/or pressure. However, if nitrogen expands less than oxygen under heat/pressure, doesn’t that mean oxygen is more likely to blowout a tire? Isn’t that why every major airline in the world uses nitrogen in airplane tires? NASA even uses nitrogen in the tires of the space shuttle.

Whatever mechanics told you that your tire blew up from a slow leak from a nail increasing the pressure and causing the nitrogen to explode was lying to save themselves from a lawsuit. Of course the Michelin people are going to blame it on the nitrogen, not their defective tire. Even if it was true that nitrogen explodes under pressure, a slow leak means your tire is slowly losing pressure, not gaining pressure, and will not explode.

My guess is your son ran over a nail, didn’t realize it, and then either had some extremely fat people in his car when he took that turn, or he was driving too fast when he turned. Either one of those scenarios could have put too much force on that tire, and the nail hole created a weak spot which could have torn and caused the tire to blow out. But don’t blame it on the nitrogen. It’s just a gas, being a gas like a good gas should do.

• jordan says:

sorry to hear about your accident, however i am in the tire industry and have been for years. If your tire did have a nail in it and he was running it low on air pressure the tire heats up and causes a run flat(tire term) ring on the outside of the sidewall. if you ever dismounted that tire you would find inside about 2-3 handfulls of chewed up rubber from the sidewall of the tire wich exposes the steel belts and causes the to give out. (explode,blowout),however you want to explain it. Any time you have purchased tires if you do not recieve the road hazzard, no tire company or manufacturer will cover it.

13. Ben Blitt says:

The controversy in these comments is indeed interesting. Admittedly I stopped reading halfway so my comments may be repeating someone else’s. If they do, I beg your forgiveness.

There are many products/services one can do ‘without’. One can do without an automatic dishwasher…for we can wash those pesky dirty dishes by hand. Our forefathers (or rather foreMOTHERS did). Then there’s the washer and dryer. Certainly a walk to the nearest creek can handle the washing part… and a rock on the side so we can beat the water out of ‘em can certainly eliminate the need for two costly appliances.

Now I can go on and on… and as silly as my examples may be, the reality is people buy things for convenience. Throughout the above comments the cry that is most repeated (here and other sites as well is), check your tire pressure regularly and you won’t have any problems.

I am not a scientist. I have no idea if your comments here about molecule size of one gas being different from another making a difference is true or not. I have no idea if Nitrogen IS inert or not (and in response to those claiming Nitrogen ‘explodes”… well I have seen a few “air’ filled tires blowout over the years too!)

What I DO know is… i DON’T check the air in my tires regularly. Most people don’t EITHER. They SHOULD… but they DON’T. Most people don’t even check their OIL regularly enough.

For those reading this who are scrunching their noses, please understand that the percentage of analytical people (those who DO check stuff all the time) only make up a balanced percentage of those who don’t. “People people” don’t check stuff. “Paper people” MAY check stuff… and “MACHINE people” MAY check stuff.

I am one of those scary ‘people people’ who doesn’t bounce around analyzing this, that and the other. I just live. (Somehow I have noooo idea how i survive either!!) BUT.. the point is… i DON’T check stuff frequently enough.

Ergo… (scientific term??) I can equate Nitrogen-filled tires to my dishwasher. I CAN do without it… but since it can be equated to an Automatic Tire Checker system… keeping things pressurized properly FOR me (more consistently anyway)… then for me it’s a CONVENIENCE as WELL as a necessity.

For those of you who understand words such as “inert” and “molecule” with little digits after letters.. i respectfully bow to thee. We aren’t in the same world… and your comments are indeed suited for those who are.

If Nitrogen will prevent rim oxidization (see? I learned something reading the above)… if it maintains pressure and decreases roll-resistance… then what the heck… put it in.

i know I’M not going to check it.

14. aua868s says:

can all tires be inflated with nitrogen or should i buy special tires for it?

15. SSgtDac says:

Assumption 1:
    You WILL see a 1% increase in fuel Milage
    Result 1:
    You spent $20-$60 to save $30-$40 over the life of the tire, money you could have saved for free by filling your tires with air regularly
    Assumption 2:
    You get better ride and handling:
    Result 2:
    You’re feeling what you want or need to feel, google “Placebo effect” it’s very similar.
    I also have a quick question:
    You just bought new tires for your car/truck/SUV and you think the improvement in milage/handling/ride is from the magic gas the tire dealer put in them?
    Fact: Most OEM tires are a comprimise between cost and performance. When you go to costco and select a tire that is ideal for your vehicle you are improving over the OEM tire so the natural result is an improvement in milage/handling/ride.
    In the end, if you feel better having N2 in your tires spend the the money, you earned it.
    We all buy snake oil at some point in our lives and this one at least does no harm.
    I Recommend buying tires at costco in spite of the dollar or two extra they have to charge to pay for the nitrogen generators. They have a good selection, they do a good job of installing and balancing and they have very competetive prices.
    BOTTOM LINE:
    Select good, quality tires that are well suited to your vehicle, take care of them and maintain the pressures. Do this and you’ll do well regardless of the gas inside.

16. George says:

I use a special mixture of 78% Nitrogen, 21% Oxygen, 0.93% Argon, 0.038% Carbon Dioxide, about 1% Hydrogen Hydroxide in gaseous form, and lesser amounts of other gasses.

It can be obtained from color coded black hoses at gas stations and tires filled with it are identified with black filler caps.

I’ve been driving with this special mixture since 1963 and have never had a tire rot from oxygen exposure, go flat from teensy molecules sneaking out through the rubber, or undergo wild fluctuations of pressure from the gaseous form hydrogen hydroxide.

I will be marketing this mixture on infomercials and from a secret web site. Just watch for aIr [tm] at a snake-oil shop near you.

• PhysicsProfessor says:

I just read George’s reply (01/03/2010). Now my gut really hurts badly from laughing. You missed your calling as a stand-up comedian!

The sad truth is that someone is going to believe you have something special. They are probably working at the EPA and will soon be identifying your special mixture as being harmful to the environment and explosive!

• Steve says:

I know this posting is old, but I just had to comment on this one; I AM STILL LAUGHING!! Very good!! However, I hate to see people get taken because they are not well informed.

Great one George!!

17. SSgtDAC says:

I had my tires filled with nitrogen the day before christmas and then drove from Tx to Cali and back
    My Hummer H1 now rides like mercedes S-class, I out handled a Porsche 911 on the twistiest part of californias coastal highway, and I haven’t put gasoline in the damn thing since before I put the nitrogen in the tires. Additionally, I’ve lost 16 lbs, I look 10 years younger, my cholesterol is down 40, my hair is growing back, I no longer need Viagra, I got a promotion with a 70% pay increase, my wife now looks like a 25 year old Christy Brinkly, the SEC dropped their inquiry into my trading habits, I no longer need glasses, and when I cock my head at just the right angle I can see through time.

Obviously, this is all BS, Just like putting nitrogen in your tires.

18. SSgtDAC says:

NitrousOxide(NO2) is NOT a performance booster because of the nitrogen, it is because it has a higher percentage of oxygen than the ambient air entering your combustion chamber from the air intake. It is 2/3 oxygen and hence feeds the detonation of the gasoline in the combution chamber creating greater force which translates to added horsepower and torque. The Argument about nitrous being explosive would suggest the tire filled with AIR would be more dangerous but unless you have gasoline and a spark plug in your tire, it is a completely pointless argument. If you DO have gasoline and a spark plug in your tire Please have someone who is qualified, shoot you because you’re too stupid to be alive.

• Rwolf says:

SSgtDAC, I think you beat out George for online comedy! Thanks for posting!

You are, of course, completely correct about N2.

The only proven performance benefit of nitrogen is that is very efficiently seperates fools from their money. (and it puts the idea in their heads that they have to keep coming back for more)

19. neil says:

Has it occurred to anyone that maybe the green valve stems do leak less?

• Jim says:

Well, the stems themselves are the same, they just put green caps on them. Though you do offer up a good point if the two stems were different, but they’re not.

20. I found a better solution than nitrogen for filling my tires. It is hydrogen! I paid a modest fee of only $200 to have all 4 tires in my SUV filled with hydrogen. Because hydrogen is the lightest known element and was used long ago in airships, my ride is really quiet because it makes my car slightly lighter. Also, due to the hydrogen lifting the car slightly, less rubber wears against the road. The salesman at Chetmnli tire company guarantees the tires will get $250,000 because of less rubber wear against the road. Also, there is no problem with getting stuck in mud or snow since the car floats higher. Our gas mileage is estimated to now be an astonishing 42 miles per gallon. We can’t wait to measure it to see. We only get 24 mpg with regular air.

We also bought the optional heat deflector that channels all of the very hot air from the engine toward each of the front tires to heat that hydrogen in the tires. The saleman says it will give us an experience beyond belief. We didn’t really believe all this stuff so I called my Uncle Jethro who in fact confirmed all the things the saleman was telling me. After all, Jethro is the smartest man in our family. He has a 6 grade education in science from Deliverence Mountain Middle School.

OK, let’s get serious. If you think the above comments were anything real, then you are one those those idiots who wasted your money on nitrogen. Hey, I got lots of stuff to sell to you! All this crap about smoother ride, better mileage, etc, has gotten my gut sore from laughing. You folks really need to consider that there are other factors affecting the outcome of your uneducated half-wit observations. Bottom line is you just can’t admit you wasted your money.

21. Elizabeth B. Heery says:

We just purchased a Chrysler Town and Country with nitrogen tires and were told by the salesman that all Chrysler Dealers have Nitrogen. Well when my husband called around, no one carries nitrogen as the machine is too costly. Now what do we do. If we get a blow out on a trip. How do we get a nitrogen tire?

22. George says:

Elizabeth, don’t worry about it. There’s no such thing as a “nitrogen tire” and no harm in putting air in a tire that is nitrogen filled.

23. Heather says:

My understanding was that if you don’t maintain the tire pressure with nitrogen, then your warranty is voided by Costco. May not be that way anymore, but I bought years ago and it was part of the fine print.

24. Reese says:

You are all idiots that need to revisit a high school chemistry class. The air you breathe is 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, 1% other gases. Nitrogen will NOT explode your tires. (“Simple science” should tell you that if there is nitrogen inside the tire and nitrogen outside the tire, less oxygen/nitrogen exchange occurs = lower pressure loss and if a tire bursts, it’s a nitrogen-nitrogen reaction. … no explosion.) Hydrogen will!! (Use at your own foolish risk.) And as for the lady with the son whose truck tire “exploded”… good luck getting any $$$ on your rediculous claim . …sounds like a case of driving too fast on underinflated tires resulting in a regular old, happens every day, TIRE BLOWOUT.

• Reese says:

BTW, my husband & I both have blown a nitrogen filled tire and there was no explosion, crash, or other damage. As for the question of “Is it better?”, I have better handling, keep better tire pressure, and better gas mileage when coupled with a few other small maintenance to-do’s ie) keeping a clean throttle, regular oil changes & tune-ups.

25. Grant Burtt says:

What all the extremely well manered and High intellect people here with all percentages Dry air is primarily made up of nitrogen (78.09%) and oxygen (20.95%). The remaining 1% is made up of argon (0.93%), carbon dioxide (0.03%) and other trace gases (0.003%). Water vapor (water in its gaseous state) is also present in air in varying amounts.

Are forgetting is this. The air we breath is not compressed On other words it is not pure purged nitrogen. When a tyre is filled with nitrogen properly IE: The tyre is inflated to full pressure then purged then refilled to full pressure once again and then released back to the rated pressure the tyre wil last longer stay cooler also have less transfer of heat via pavement contact and heat transfetr from a heated axle shaft via brake activity. The Nitrogn makes a big difference when done properly. If the procedure is not done this way. their is almsot no benefit at all. You would be better of asking an expert such as myself instead of asking people who have agsolutely full speculative answers. Scientists full of theoretic fact???. Whatever that is.