Insurance
comments

Non-Married Multi-Car Auto Insurance Discounts

You don’t have to be married to take advantage of a multi-car discount with a car insurance company.

One of the best ways to save money in car insurance is to insure multiple cars with one company. Two cars with one company often costs less than if they had their own individual policies. Up until now, I had always thought that doing so required the owners of the two cars to be related in some way, such as through marriage, but that’s not the case.

Two of my friends, who are dating, had been living together in a rowhome and recently bought a house together a few blocks away. They recently changed insurance companies when they were researching homeowners insurance. One of them had a GEICO auto insurance policy and when he called to cancel, GEICO wanted a shot at keeping his business. He told him his situation and GEICO offered the multi-car discount despite them not being married but couldn’t offer a break on the homeowners (its through Travelers and they don’t offer a discount), so they went with Erie Insurance anyway. It appears that you didn’t have to be married to take advantage of the multi-car discount, though I suspect sharing an address may be necessary.

Does anyone else have experience with this?

###

On an unrelated note, the 156th Carnival of Personal Finance is available at PT Money and my post on Best Gasoline Cashback Credit Cards was included.

10 Responses to “Non-Married Multi-Car Auto Insurance Discounts”

1. Deby says:

My BF and I are on the same policy (State Farm), and we get a multi-car discount. And before he and I got together, my Mom (when she was living with me) was on my insurance, too, and we got the discount then as well. Now, she lives about 300 miles away, but she’s still on the policy and I think she still gets the discount.

2. Steve, 27, NJ says:

My fiance and I have had a joint policy for auto/renters since before we got engaged. Perfect timing with the post, I just switched from Geico to State Farm and saved $300/year. However, both cars are registered in my name and my name is on the lease agreement for the apartment.

3. lori says:

I lived with my mom for a couple of years after my father passed away and for that time I got a “multi-vehicle” discount because we were both under Nationwide. A very nice discount, too.

4. lori says:

oh and I want to add that we weren’t on the same policy.

5. Melissa says:

Progressive forced my boyfriend and I to have a joint policy after we were in an accident (not at fault) in my car while he was driving. Their premise is if you share an address, you are likely sharing cars and hence both have to be on the policy. It actually only cost $5 more per month to add another car and another driver, so I didn’t mind. I think you have to share an address at a minimum, but you might be able to share a policy with someone who is a roomate.

6. Jon says:

Progressive confirmed this with me tonight, they don’t care if you’re married, only if you’re living together. Oh yeah, I also cut me and my wife’s insurance bill in half by switching FROM Geico. :P

7. John Hutchinson says:

We are not married but share home etc and are insured by State Farm for cars, house, riders and umbrella. State Farm will NOT give us a multicar discount. Will if we retitle are cars to have both names which we can not do. We live in Missouri.
    AAA will give us multi car discount.

8. tammy says:

What if you do not live together? My boyfriend would like to put me on his policy but we don’t live together. Is that possible?

9. Svetatil says:

Well, we have been living together for 6 years, my boyfriend added me to his policy 6 years ago (Allstate). Today we have received an e-mail from them stating that they can’t keep me under his policy – because we are no married!!! Time to look for another insurance.