Personal Finance
comments

Omaha Steak’s Fantastic Feast Assortment Promotion

Omaha Steaks Fantastic Feast AssortmentOmaha Steaks sent me a junk mail promotional offer (I have no idea how they got my name) where you could get about a ton of meat for $50 plus shipping. No joke.

The package was called The Fantastic Feast Assortment (Item 4665LZF), cost a smooth $49.99 (normally $69.99) plus $16.99 shipping, and contained:

• 4 (5 oz.) Top Sirloins
  • 4 (4 oz.) Boneless Pork Chops
  • 4 (4 oz.) Omaha Steaks Burgers
  • 4 (4 oz approx.) Chicken Breasts
  • 2 (4.5 oz.) Stuffed Sole w/ Scallops & Crabmeat
  • 8 (3 oz.) Gourmet Franks
  • 4 (5.75 oz.) Stuffed Baked Potatoes
  • Bonus: A free salt & pepper machine (hand-grinder)
  • Bonus: 6 more Omaha Steaks Burgers

Several years ago, I used to see this offer all the time. I never purchased it because it was a ridiculous amount of food for a single person, I doubted the safety of shipping raw meat, and it was expensive. Since then, I’ve received one other shipment of meat (an entire leg of lamb from the American Lamb Board, because of grilling blog Grill Maestro) without incident, quieting my fears of shipping meat. As for the price, at $66.98 it seems fairly priced but how long would it take my wife and me to eat all that meat?

Another thing holding me back is that some of the things in that package I wouldn’t get à la carte. For example, stuffed sole w/ scallops & crabmeat sounds good, but it’s not something I would purchase in the store. Gourmet franks? I would probably go with low fat or reduced fat franks made by Ballpark or Eskay, which you can find for $1 an eight pack during the summer. Burgers? I like to make them myself with some ground beef and my own selection of add-ins. Once I start picking it apart, I think of how I can probably buy the individual items à la carte and save more money that way.

I’m tempted just to order it and see what happens, but I think I just convinced myself not to in writing that previous paragraph. :)

I asked Matt at Steadfast Finances if he ever had anything from Omaha Steaks. He said he had a steak a year or two ago.. “I remember saying I wanted it well done because I didn’t trust a steak shipped via Fedex.” Hmmm… I never want a steak well-done.

Has anyone ever ordered meat from Omaha Steaks? Care to share your thoughts on it?

24 Responses to “Omaha Steak’s Fantastic Feast Assortment Promotion”

1. Amy says:

I used to get a pack of the steaks for Christmas from the boss, and they were super! The meat quality was good, but the assortment I had was all steaks – strips, filets, bacon-wrapped, etc. Since I was paying for them, I was duly impressed. Its a whole lot cheaper to have another couple over and grill up some steaks, and buy your own bottle of wine, then taking the same group out for dinner. Plus, you control the ambiance.

2. Jeremy says:

A friend of mine has received some as a gift and said they were pretty good. But for me, even though the price is good, it isn’t for me.

For one, I hate frozen meat. Sure, it lasts longer, but then you have to thaw it out, and to do it properly it takes time. In addition, if it isn’t frozen and/or thawed properly, you can easily ruin an otherwise great piece of meat.

And two, the portions are small. I mean seriously, a 5 oz. sirloin? Their fancy hot dogs weigh in at 3 oz. It might be healthy to only eat 4 ounces of red meat, but if I want a steak, I want a damn steak not a hockey puck.

When my store is having a reasonable sale, I can get farm fresh NY strip steaks for 8.99/pound, cut as thick as you want. For 70 bucks, I could have about 7.75 pounds of top quality steak. With this deal, you’re paying close to 70 bucks for a little under 6.5 pounds of meat, only some of it being just sirloin steak, and a few potatoes.

But I guess it just depends. It isn’t a bad deal, but it’s still frozen, and it’s still limiting on portion size. But it is convenient if you just want to have some food on hand, or don’t like shopping or picking out your own meat.

3. Jonathan says:

I got some as a gift as well. They were good, nothing special but not bad either.

As a geek, the funnest part was playing with all the dry ice that comes in the cooler! If you have kids, definitely look up some fun science experiments to do with it.

4. Amanda says:

My dad received the flyer and ordered it. He seems pretty excited by the offer. He spent 40 years in the grocery business so I assume he thought it was a good deal. I’ll have to let you know what he thinks.

5. Mark says:

As Jonathan said, they arrive in dry ice in a foam ice chest so I think they are completely safe. I got them as a gift (along with some cheap steak knives). They were good, but I don’t think they are worth the money. I’d rather get exactly what I want.

6. Sally says:

I was given this package as a gift. The sole with crabmeat was delicious, never mind that Nebraska is about a far from the coasts as possible.

7. BusyME says:

Each portion is individually frozen…so it wouldn’t be a big deal, regarding portion size. We get a huge box every Christmas from hubby’s parents, and ALWAYS enjoy it, but we’re frugal and NOT gourmet cooks. *laughs* All I can say is try it once!

8. Katharine says:

There was a deal a while ago where you ended up getting like 30 hamburgers for $2 shipped. The hamburgers are good but not amazing, and i still eat them medium-rare :P

9. CC says:

I have purchased from them once. Not bad but not a great value. I roughly calculate the value of this to be about $30 if I buy when my local market has the items on sale.

10. I have not purchased from them – much more expensive then I can get from the store on sale. I’m sure they ship the meat frozen overnight – maybe drop shipments from each state? Nowadays beef doesn’t even taste like it’s supposed to – back in the olden days (20 years ago), they actually used to dry age beef which made it more tender and flavorful. Alton Brown has a recipe where he shows how you can dry age a roast here: http://tr.im/4242 Interesting how our tastes have been modified by the grocery stores – they now age most meat on its way to the store in the plastic bag. My youngest (19) hates the taste of dry aged (which I think tastes delicious) preferring the taste of wet aging (which I think has the flavor of liver much of the time). This page tells about the process of dry agin vs. wet: http://www.sizzlersranch.com/aged-prime-beef

Omaha steaks doesn’t come right out and say they dry age their meat, but they might, and if you don’t like the taste, you might not like the meat anyway.

11. nickfro says:

Just an FYI, they meat is shipped frozen in highly insulated containers packed with dry ice. It’s worth it just for the sake of having the dry ice to play with. Decent value, decent steaks…

12. thomas says:

I get Omaha Steaks for my Dad every year. I usually break the price down by pound to see what kind of value I’m getting. You definitely aren’t going to be a frugal eater with this deal, but for something different it’s not bad. It’s also good for those that don’t get out of the house much or don’t eat out but want to try new things.

Apparently those gourmet franks are awesome. You can’t always eat “lite” franks – you end up missing so much.

13. I ordered some one time, several years ago. Not impressed. IMHO, Costco’s steaks are better.

14. I’ve never thought this was a great value. Top sirloin is not a particularly good cut of meat and 5oz is a pretty small portion. Then you get some hamburger and some hot dogs – nothing special there. Some very small portions of chicken and pork chops and some other random things that you say you probably wouldn’t purchase otherwise. Having food shipped is completely safe but this just isn’t that good of a deal!

15. snarkdek says:

I have a friend who swears by them and orders an assortment at least once a year. He had me over for dinner to try them and it was really good. The steaks were very tender and even though it was small, it was so good, I was actually satisfied.

I cannot say it is always like this but I was pretty impressed.

16. Start-Up says:

I ordered some steak burgers from omaha and was impressed with the shipping method. I would not worry about your food during the shipping, I would definitely be at home the day it’s shipped to put it in the freezer immediately.

17. awezzy says:

Living in the midwest, we are familiar with Omaha Steaks (we have a couple stores in our town where you can buy direct). We’ve also received packages from Omaha steak as gifts. The steaks are great, as well as the other cuts of meat. As others have commented, they’ve got the shipping down pat, and thus you get the high-quality meats in good condition. I highly recommend it.

18. TJR says:

If you want a great burger from Omaha Steaks, order their private reserve angus burgers. They have different sizes in oz weight on these. And for that matter, though it costs more, their private reserve line of steaks are awesome!

19. Empress Juju says:

I just became roommates with a fella who ordered that exact pack, and then it sat around in his freezer for months, because HE DOESN’T COOK! Not sure exactly what he was thinking…

So, I’ve made us a few meals, and the meat has been delicious! He’s happy to have someone doing the cooking, and I’m happy to have filet mignon for dinner!

20. Mr. Jones says:

Every summer I usually get two big deals from Omaha Steaks. I’m a big fan, the meat is good and is definitely shipped well. It comes in pretty large, sturdy coolers with dry ice and all the food is vacuum-sealed and inside of boxes. A little pricey, yeah, but I think the quality of food is worth it. Usually get the grill specials that come with bacon-wrapped tops, chicken, burgers, and dogs.

21. T says:

I just got filet mignons from Omaha Ateks and they are brown, I was told lack of oxygen by the ocmapnt but it is more like it was exposed to oxygen or stored to long before frozen, now I am afraid to eat them

22. Car says:

We order from them a couple of times a year. I always compare the cost to our local store to verify the value. We have been very happy with the quality, love the filets. We have eaten the chicken and the crab and had no problems. For those of us that watch portion size I love that everything is packaged individually

23. sheila says:

i went to buy this “feast” today but unfortunately my “coupon” expired 4 days ago, and the Marietta, Ga. store would rather get no money, than honor an expired coupon…so business must be booming! in this economy no less!

24. Cindy says:

My grandfather used to send Omaha Steaks to each of his 5 children (my mother, aunts and uncles) each year for Christmas. They always ship in sturdy containers with plenty of dry ice….and the prices actually aren’t expensive at all…it’s a great value. Two generations later…I’m already giving Omaha Steaks as gifts!