Government
comments

Opening Treasury Direct Account

In reading learning I-Bonds and Treasury Direct, I felt it important that I actually open a Treasury Direct account even if I didn’t plan on buying any bonds just yet. It’s a quick five minute process and besides the typical personal information, it would be handy to have your driver’s license and your bank information (that you’ll link to the Treasury Direct account). I opted to use my Emigrant Direct account (Name: Emigrant Savings Bank, Routing #: 226070319, it’s important to have the name typed correctly) as the linked bank.

The account opening process was two pages long (the second was just pick a password, a hint, and some security verification questions) and I was surprised that the password could only be a combination of letters and numbers but no big deal. According to the webpage my account was setup and ready to go, less than five minutes! Look in your email inbox for an email with your account number.

16 Responses to “Opening Treasury Direct Account”

1. pfadvice says:

Yep, I just opened an account too. Extremely easy to do.

2. Michael says:

It was the easiest thing I’ve ever done that had ANYTHING to do with the U.S. government.

Surely they’ll figure this out soon and scrap the whole program.

3. Dear friends,

Of course it’s easy, the want your money!
    Virtually anything that has to do with giving the federal government money is always MUCH easier than getting it back.
    For instance, it’s easy to pay the government taxes – they’re automatically taken out of your pay check. You can actually look at your tax return as your effort to DEFEND what you keep. Much harder work.

Governments always make it easier to give them money than to take it.

I just bought some ibonds for my eldest son. I’d like to keep much more liquid, especially if we have some family expenses. I’m expecting he won’t need to touch the money for a long time. We bought them at a bank and the experience went quite smoothly (I wonder how they make money on it).

Has anyone actually gone ahead and bought any ibonds?

If you wanted to maximize liquidity, what vehicle would you use that paid higher than emigrant direct?

Have a wonderful Saturday,
    makingouway

4. tinaj.basil says:

i need to send my bonds to my checking acct.

5. mo0 says:

treasury direct is terrible if you want to open your account with them. You have to go to a bank and verify yourself on the paper and send it back to them, which will take several weeks to do so–plus 10 days in getting your access card.

On top of it, it’s quite impossible for you to even get into the account, and careful, if you messed up–you will get lock on your account, which you will have to call them on telephone to unlock it!

This is government bureaucracy @ it’s best!

6. John Pegram says:

I like to open an account with treasure acca

7. Ken says:

Can you open a Treasurydirect JOINT account??

8. Bob says:

Yeah, if you lose your account information, good luck. I go through cell phones frequently and am in a mobile phase of my life. I move at least every year or two. I don’t know what my latest address they have on file or my phone number on file.

9. Loren Blackstad says:

ANYONE HAVE A PHONE NO TO CONTACT A REAL PERSON AT TREASURY DIRECT AS THEY HAVE TAKEN ALL HUMAN CONTACT OUT OF THE PROCESS AND THE MACHINE NEVER HAS AN OPTION TO MY QUESTIONS.

10. geo meyer says:

maOO is correct. I created an acct with TD and an access card was sent. I got locked out of my acct and have tried to raise a human in the Treasurydirect organization either through email and phone calls….nothing. This agency has taken what was pretty easy to do locally and made it very time consuming.

11. Frustrated says:

I have tried for the past three weeks to get into my locked account and have been unsuccessful. I have tried to reach them by the number listed on the web site just to receive the message which states all representatives are busy and will be with you shortly (a lie from the bottom of the pits). I have sent several emails that states someone will be in touch with you within 48 hours (another lie) of which I informed them that I had been locked out of my account. No call back and I have not received a statement to say what I have in the account. I am not satisfied with this product.

12. Peter says:

I think this whole treasury direct account is a ridiculous process. I was locked out of my account & it took 2 weeks to reach anyone at the 800 # to help. I even left messages for someone to call me back. No one ever did. I think it is so stupid that you can not even setup a joint treasury direct account. I want my wife & I on the same acct. I dont want a separate acct. I certainly hope that this whole process gets re done.

13. Rose Lennox says:

all I want to do is buy a gift savings bond for my grandson as I have always purchased one for my newest grandchild. can’t find out how to get an account. I guess you really don’t want to sell or it would not be so hard to buy onr