Personal Finance
comments

Pausing Your Netflix Subscription

Netflix Thumbs UpDid you know that you could pause your Netflix subscription?

We’ll be going on vacation for parts of July and August and won’t be able to take advantage of our Netflix subscription. Rather than canceling the subscription, Netflix offers an option where you can put the subscription on hold for 7 – 90 days. During that time, the subscription will be suspended, you won’t be able to watch anything, you won’t be sent any DVDs, and you’ll be required to return any rented DVDs within 7 days or be charged for them.

How to Pause Your Netflix Subscription

It’s actually quite simple to put it on hold and you can do it online.

1. Log into your Netflix account.
  2. Click on “Your Account” in the upper right.
  3. Then click on “Put Membership on Hold.”
  4. Netflix: Your Account Screen

5. Then, enter a date and you’re all set! (it’s an old screenshot :) )
  6. Netflix: Pause Subscription Form

You can login at anytime to take it off hold or it’ll reactivate once it reaches that date.

(Photo by brymo)

18 Responses to “Pausing Your Netflix Subscription”

1. Journey says:

I did this before. When the winter comes, I will probably start using it again. It will be too cold to go outside.

2. Madame X says:

I never noticed that! Thanks for a very useful tip– I’m on the plan where I only get two movies per month, one at a time, so this will definitely come in handy someday!

3. Dave says:

That’s a great tip. We don’t typically go galavanting around Europe for weeks on end, but if we know we aren’t using it for a while, it makes sense for us to hold the membership.

4. Arvin says:

Do you have to pay for it still while it’s paused?

5. Kevin says:

That is a great feature. I personally love Netflix as watching movies is one of my many vice’s. Great Tip!

6. Kirk says:

We basically paused it for the summer… when we typically want to spend more time outside with friends and doing outdoorsy things. In the meantime we can keep updating our queue throughout the summer, as we typically skip the movie theatre as a form of entertainment.

However when we’re interested in watching something it gets added to the queue and when the subscription starts up again in September, we’ll have some movies ready to watch. By mid-winter when it’s really horrible outside we’ll start getting the new summer releases, and we’d have saved money both on Netflix and also by skipping the movie theatres during the summer.

7. Jeremy says:

Great post, I never knew that you could pause it. This will be very useful for vacations.

8. LOL! Is there a way to pause Netflix’s sneaky pop-under ads? Hate them: I wouldn’t do business with a company that pesters people that way.

9. Patrick says:

I never knew you could do this. I currently don’t have Netflix, but this is a great reason for me to join them.

10. This is a great strategy, and I did the same thing with Blockbuster Online a few months ago.

It’s great not only for vacations, but when you need a little extra money or a little extra time in your life. It helps to take a 2-3 month break sometimes from this non-stop onslaught of movies.

11. thomas says:

Please note, that when you come back, your account is immediately charged and you don’t get a refund.

So, if your bill date is July 1 and you go on vacation July 2 for a month, you’ve given them a free month.

You also can’t choose the start date.

12. Carla says:

While we don’t have the opportunity to go on vacation for longer than a few days in a row, we are relocating in a few months and this will come in handy. We may not rent any movies for months during that time. Thanks for the reminder!

13. Rob says:

You can actually pause your Netflix subscription for more than 3 months. I moved in December and put my subscription on hold. As it turns out, I didn’t have a lot of time for movies after moving and still have it on hold. I didn’t want to get rid of my account altogether because I have a number of movies in my queue still. All you have to do is change the reactivation date every couple months and it will give you 3 additional months from that point on time.

14. harry says: