Your Take
comments

Your Take: Would You Pay To Fly In Space?

Stars!How many of you loved Star Trek? I was a big fan of Star Trek: The Next Generation and have always been enamored with the idea of flying in space – even if briefly. As the technology becomes more and more accessible to regular folks, I’ve always wondered how much I would pay to fly in space. Right now, if you go to book a flight on Virgin Galactic, it’ll run you $200,000 with a $20,000 deposit. They’re so pricey in part because they’re so small. SpaceShipTwo carries six passengers and two pilots – six people are paying for that entire trip to space.

The spaceship can be thought of as an air launched glider with a rocket motor and a couple of extra systems for spaceflight. Just like any conventional flying machine, it requires aerodynamic forces to provide its stability and control which, clearly, it only has whilst in the atmosphere. In space it follows a purely ballistic trajectory, but here it can use small thrusters known as the reaction control system (RCS) which allow the pilots to maneuver the vehicle in space and provide a changing view for the passenger astronauts.

How much would you pay to fly in space? I’d probably pay a few thousand dollars (~$3,000) someday to poke my head into the final frontier. You?

(Photo: astrolondon)

22 Responses to “Your Take: Would You Pay To Fly In Space?”

1. No Debt MBA says:

If I had more than $20 million in the bank I might pay their price. Right now I might pay $500 which is outrageously low but traveling into space isn’t a priority for me ;)

• WRXTuan says:

That is probably a good way to think about it. I would say my threshold would be around 5% of my net worth for it to be worth while. So right now that would be around $500. In the future it will probably be more and hopefully I get to the crossover point as I would like to be out there someday.

• Strebkr says:

I think even 5% of your networth is a ton! I did the math for me personally and I came up with 0.8% based on my situation today.

2. tom says:

I would pay $10,000 to go into space today.

I mean, how cool would it be to go to space and experience true weighlessness and see those amazing views? Don’t we all dream about this as kids?

I’m 27 right now, but if the price drops to $50,000 by the time I’m 40-50, I might seriously consider it.

3. Jon says:

The price I’d pay would depend, I suppose, on what other things I had to spend my money on. I could see spending the $200K if I knew I only had a few months left to live, and I didn’t have any dependents left to support. I have’t put a space trip on my bucket list as I thought it was totally out of my price range, but it looks like it’s getting closer.

4. cubiclegeoff says:

Not sure what I think about getting launched into the upper atmosphere for just a few minutes. If it was longer or something, maybe I’d pay something, for now though, I probably wouldn’t bother.

5. mannymacho says:

It’s a tough question, because if you pay extra to do it now, then you have some awesome bragging rights as being one of the first. If you wait until it’s in a more accessible price range, then everyone will be doing it and it will just be like visiting the grand canyon – something neat, but that millions of others have done.

6. Courtney says:

Hubs says $10,000. That’s a little less than 10% of our net worth at age 30.

7. Karen says:

After reading Mary Roach’s “Packing for Mars”, I’ve decided that it’s not for me.

8. freeby50 says:

I’d love to travel to space. I’d easily spend $2-5k today to do so.. and I might even stretch up to $20k or so. But I’d only go if it was proven as reasonably safe and its not yet safe enough yet for my tastes.

9. Joe says:

Is that even safe? The price is really coming down, however. Wasn’t it $2 million a few years back?

• daenyll says:

For a simple glide I don’t much see the point, not for those kind of prices. I’ll wait for better technology and a fuller experience if I’m going to expose myself to the risk, there’s lots more close to the ground I can play about adventuring for that kind of payout.

10. skylog says:

this is a tough question for me, but in the end i would have to say no. i love the thought of being there, but even if i had the money to make the money a non-issue, i still believe i would say no.

for me, getting there, being there and getting back is just not safe enough, especially considering what the experience would actually be. perhaps, if it was some futuristic sci-fi movie experience i would change my mind. until then, i am happy with both feet planted on earth…

11. Ron says:

Back in the late 60′s we flew in space for way less money! Heck, I’m still trying to figure out what went on in 2001 Space Odyssey!

12. billsnider says:

Your picture is what is called a circumpolar star formation. They are basically stars above the observer. They appear to spin in a circular pattern on time lapse cameras.

Also my mother raised a chicken. I am contrnt to look at someone elses photos.

Bill Snider

13. Adam says:

I would take a space ride in a heartbeat, regardless of the risks.

14. Shirley says:

No, no, no… a space trip is not for me, not even if it is free. But if you go, I would love to see your photos. ;-)

15. How much would it cost to be able to do a spacewalk? That’s what I would want :)

16. Strebkr says:

This does bring up a good point in the Stuff vs Experience discussion. This would be a once in a lifetime experience.

17. Dave says:

I would love to go to space. I think sitting in a cramped shuttle/plane/glider to say that you “flew” in space isn’t worth it. If I’m shelling out $200,000, I want to be walking around the moon, or at least on the space station.

As Jon mentioned, I think the amount I’d be willing to pay would depend on alot of things. If it were a relatively safe and reliable trip to something cool like a moon base and I was reaching the cutoff point of not being able to go (I’m assuming they won’t let people go over a certain age or health status get strapped into a rocket), I might consider shelling out $200,000 for a vacation on the moon.