Personal Finance, Philanthropy 

Pension Protection Act Effects on Donations

Email  Print Print  

The Pension Protection Act of 2006 has changed the rules a little bit when it comes to charitable donations of money or property. In the past, if your donation was under $250 then you didn’t need to keep a receipt. Now, after the Pension Protection Act, you will need to keep records of all of your cash donations – which means you’ll have to keep a receipt from the charity, a canceled check, or a credit card statement that shows you made the donation. As with all receipts, you don’t mail it with your documents but you must have them in case you’re audited. Every year we like to donate a little bit of money to charitable causes and this year we’ll probably do the same.

As for property, which is something I don’t really do outside of a few books and some older clothes, the rules have been adjusted slightly as well. Now, what you donate must be in “good” condition, though that isn’t spelled out. I think this is really just a crackdown on all the filers who donate ratty old stuff or who claim a lot of $50 donations just to get a few dollars back.

Personally, I keep a folder of my old tax returns and stick any necessary receipts in with them (plus they’re on record with the credit card company) so these changes don’t affect me, but they’re good to know about.

{ 2 comments, please add your thoughts now! }

Related Posts

RSS Subscribe Like this article? Get all the latest articles sent to your email for free every day. Enter your email address and click "Subscribe." Your email will only be used for this daily subscription and you can unsubscribe anytime.

2 Responses to “Pension Protection Act Effects on Donations”

  1. Tax laws are never simple. Former Congressman Steven Symms said, “When Congress talks of tax reform, grab your wallet and run for cover.” I touched on these changes recently in “A Quick Guide for Last Minute Tax Strategies”.

    It sounds like the change for donated property only applies to donations made after Aug. 17, 2006; how’s that for a random date? Also, if the non-cash contributions are more than $500, you have to fill out an additional form to claim the deduction.

  2. CK says:

    So I can’t deduct my old socks for 100 dollars a pair anymore? They are really great socks though.

Please Leave a Reply
Bargaineering Comment Policy

Previous Article: «
Next Article: »
Advertising Disclosure: Bargaineering may be compensated in exchange for featured placement of certain sponsored products and services, or your clicking on links posted on this website.
About | Contact Me | Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights | Terms of Use | Press
Copyright © 2016 by All rights reserved.