Personal Finance 

PFNerd Gift Idea: US Savings Bond Paper Certificate

Email  Print Print  

Racking your brain for the perfect gift for your little personal finance nerd? Don’t want to give them a gift card because they suck and you think cash is ugly? Why not consider giving someone something that they can enjoy in thirty years? That’s right, I’m talking about a US Savings Bond! (and the crowd goes wild!) Buying a savings bond is remarkably easy but don’t try going to TreasuryDirect because you can’t get paper certificates there. For a paper certificate, you’ll have to go to your local financial institution.

Once you get there, simply walk up to the teller and ask for a purchase application. Fill it out, pay the bank, and wait eagerly for three weeks – that’s how long it takes. Now, for the application you’ll have to provide a social security number to link to the certificate. That’s to help the Fed track you wherever you go. Just kidding, that’s just so they can look it up if you ever lose the certificate (it’s all electronic anyway). The social security number you submit will appear on the certificate. Your best bet is to use the social of the recipient so they can handle the recovery if they ever set it on fire. The government promises that the number won’t be used for calculating tax liability or anything like that.

Lastly, they can’t print anything special on the bond (of course!) so Treasury Direct offers some nice PDF gift certificates for you to use! I haven’t done this as I don’t have a pfnerd to give it to but if you have done this in the past, let me know how it went.

{ 4 comments, please add your thoughts now! }

Related Posts

RSS Subscribe Like this article? Get all the latest articles sent to your email for free every day. Enter your email address and click "Subscribe." Your email will only be used for this daily subscription and you can unsubscribe anytime.

4 Responses to “PFNerd Gift Idea: US Savings Bond Paper Certificate”

  1. Pat says:

    What if you want to give one as a baby gift? Should I use the mother’s SSN?

  2. jim says:

    Honestly I have no idea.

  3. Hilary says:

    Yes you can put it under the parent’s SSN and in both their and the baby’s name (so it can be co-issued).

  4. Patrick says:

    I got a lot of these when I was a child. I traded them in around the time I joined the AF – and put them right into an IRA. 🙂

    (I had earned income so it was cool). Whenever members of my family have a baby, I send them a check with instructions to open a savings account. I know, I’m boring. But smart! 😉

Please Leave a Reply
Bargaineering Comment Policy

Previous Article: «
Next Article: »
Advertising Disclosure: Bargaineering may be compensated in exchange for featured placement of certain sponsored products and services, or your clicking on links posted on this website.
About | Contact Me | Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights | Terms of Use | Press
Copyright © 2016 by All rights reserved.