Personal Finance
comments

pfPicks: We’re Almost to 2010!

Whew, the end of yet another week. Can you believe it’s already November? It seemed like only yesterday I was trying to figure out what to get my wife for Valentine’s Day and already we’re planning for Thanksgiving in a few short weeks. It’s been a heck of a year so far, though we still have a little bit to go, and while things haven’t been too rough, I know that everyone’s been dealing with challenges this year. One thing we can be thankful for is that we’re still here, still kicking, and 2010 is just a few weeks away. Keep your head up and keep fighting, you only fail if you give up.

I hope you enjoy this week’s picks:

It’s been a while since someone has taken business analysis to personal finances but Wojciech at Fiscal Fizzle does a great job in his post send the SWOT on your finances. SWOT stands for strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. It’s a great way to analyze a project or venture. The strengths and weaknesses piece analyzes yourself or the venture while the opportunities and threats is an assessment of the environment you or the venture will operate in. Solid post, well worth reading because it gives you another way to analyze your finances. [Fiscal Fizzle]

Do you remember the first time you tried to stand up? I do. I pressed up with all my might, tried to put my little feetsies under me and promptly fell on my butt. But did I let that stop me from standing up? From walking? Heck no! I stand up all the time now! Failure is a good thing and I thought Financial Samurai wrote a great post on how to use failure as motivation. [Financial Samurai]

I wanted to talk about Thrift and the Art of Pet Maintenance not because it has tips for pet care but because those tips apply to the maintenance of anything. Preventative maintenance and regular care keeps repairs down, whether it’s your car, your dog, or yourself. [TIME: It's Your Money]

Finally, I wanted to highlight this uber-useful post by Squawkfox on how to buy a slow cooker. It’s getting to be pretty cold nowadays and, as I wrote about earlier, we’re cooking more in the recession, so finding a good slow cooker is a must. Fortunately, we already have one from our wedding so we won’t be shopping but you might – so I hope you find this useful. (in fact, we made a stew yesterday… and it was delicious).

Have a great weekend!

11 Responses to “pfPicks: We’re Almost to 2010!”

1. zapeta says:

Thank you for pointing out the slow cooker article…we’re looking for a new one.

2. Tim Moon says:

Ooh, I like the article about SWOT! I’m kind of surprised I haven’t heard of that before.

And no, I can’t believe it’s already November!

3. Wojciech says:

Thanks for featuring my post Jim!

On a side note, our company goal for 2009 was to make it through 2009. And so we’re almost there! :)

4. lostAnnfound says:

Love the slow cooker! have had one since we were married. Great time saver & money saver

5. jsbrendog says:

i’ve bene looking at a slow cooker for a few months now but it just doesn’t seem practical since i leave at 740 and dont get home til 730.

i cant put it on a timer because i cant leave raw meat, etc in there too long before it starts and i can’t start it when i loeave because it iwll be done loooooooooong before 730 and be way overdone by the time i get home. sigh. one day.

frozen pizza away!

but even so i will read the slow cooker article as i am always looking to gather info.

6. I’ve been trying to use my slow cooker more, but I’m just too scared to leave it on all day while I’m at work.

• saladdin says:

I was the same way. But a man can eat only so many pizzas. Having a roast ready to eat when I walk in and instant next-day lunch is worth it.

saladdin

7. Chris says:

Unfortunately in our school system we teach to be afraid to fail. Unfortunately this usually one of the best ways of learning.

8. AmandaDRowe says:

to jsbrendog

I’ve had a similar schedule in the past and still found ways to work with the crock pot. I would typically start the meat when I first got home and let it cook until bed. I would then throw it in the fridge for dinner the next night. It was extremely simple and made great food!

9. matk54 says:

In terms of pets, get to know the vaccines needed. Some animals shots may not need all the vaccines, especially if you never board them. This can save significant dollars.

10. Jill says:

SWOT is a great way to look at your finances! Do these daily in my job…why didn’t I think of that?!