Personal Finance
comments

Pictures of Big Bills – $500, $1000, $5000, $10000

$100000 Woodrow Wilson Gold CertificateIn 1969, the Treasury Department and the Fed discontinued $500, $1000, $5000, $10000 and $100,000 bills (that bill above is real) because no one used them anymore though a new bill hadn’t been printed since 1945. The bills are all legitimate legal tender and still in circulation (except the $100,000, which was only used in “fiscal channels”) but most are owned by collectors. While you probably don’t really ever need any of these bills, you can see pictures of them Bureau of Engraving and Printing website but here, for your pleasure, I’ve linked to them directly.

I never knew that non-Presidents ever graced the face of ‘modern’ US Legal Tender until today (John Marshall was a Supreme Court Justice and Salmon P. Chase was a Secretary of the Treasury)… here are some other trivia tidbits:

• John Marshall (1918 Blue Seal) and William McKinley (1928 Green Seal) are on the $500 bill
  • Alexander Hamilton (1918 Blue Seal) and Grover Cleveland (1928 Green Seal) are on the $1,000 bill
  • James Madison is on the $5,000 bill
  • Salmon P. Chase (Secretary of the Treasury from 1861 – 1864) is on the $10,000 bill
  • Woodrow Wilson is on the $100,000 gold certificate, which was never put into circulation.

40 Responses to “Pictures of Big Bills – $500, $1000, $5000, $10000”

1. LAMoneyGuy says:

Don’t forget Benjamin! Not a President.

Funny story about these bills. When I was a bank teller, I had a client making a $5000 cash withdrawal. “would you like it in large bills?” I asked. “Sure, give me four thousands, and the rest in hundreds,” he says. I had to explain to him that not only do we not have any thousand dollar bills, but they are not really in circulation anymore. He was very upset, and thought it was “ridiculous” that we didn’t have any thousands! “How am I supposed to carry all these hundreds?” he cried.

After he left we completed a suspicious currency transaction report on him. HAHA!

• That Guy says:

Re-read your comment..
      You tried to be funny… Failed
      Then you babble a fact that was a tale to mend your ignorant humor..
      After a valid offer of large bills was offered to your “client” you file a suspicious transaction on him ?

You actually commended yourself with a “HAHA!” for snitching on a innocent customer.(snitches by the way are bottom feeder scumbags)
      Your ignorant and i would guess that you live in a small town where your sister is your cousin and a guy asking for $5,000.00 is so scary that you tell the feds..
      You should be fired.. HAHA..

• Teller says:

To “That Guy”…I am a teller, and I can tell you that CTRs are filled out more frequently than you would think. There are many reasons to fill them out. Sometimes a person’s actions or comments are red flags.
        And for you to belittle him for his comments and then say, “Your ignorant” is hilarious!
        You are = You’re…
        Who is ignorant now???

• Chris Knight says:

How does it feel to be one of the nameless trash that enables fascism? What kind of “comments” are “red flags” to your slightly above minimum wage, uneducated and worthless “super hero bank teller spidey-senses” that make you comfortable snitching on your fellow citizens to a government that abuses our rights every day?

• insaney says:

Hee-Hee Teller. I LOVE catching idiots on this one, as I posted below. Good job!

• insaney says:

No,That Guy,YOU’RE the ignorant one as you have no command of the language which YOUR country speaks! Don’t hurt yourself getting off YOUR high horse or YOU’RE likely not to be able to reply!

• insaney says:

Oh, Chris Knight, you need a hobby. At least LAMoneyGuy HAS a job and is willing to put up with A S S H O L E S like you for “barely above minimum wage” Oh, I would also wager you voted for the Obamanation in DC.

• Rick Woodell says:

They ceased production of all denominations $500 and above in 1945. On July 14, 1969, all bills larger than $100 were taken out of circulation. If you bring such a bill to your bank, you will get credit for the face value of the bill. But the bank is required to forward it to the U.S. Treasury for destruction!

2. jim says:

Shoot you’re right, old Ben Franklin was never a president…

3. PointsOfNote says:

Neither was Alexander Hamilton, face of the $10.

• insaney says:

But who shot Alexander Hamilton? Aaron Burr. I still remember that from the commercial where the guy was eating peanut butter and was trying to answer a radio trvia question. It must have been one of the first “Got Milk” commercials!

4. jim says:

Wow, I’m an idiot.

5. LAMoneyGuy says:

That’s funny. If forgot about Hamilton too. Of the six major bills: 1, 5, 10, 20, 50 and 100, one third are not former Presidents!

6. Now why don’t I ever get one of those $100,000 bills given to me as change by mistake?

7. Anonymous says:

wow that is impressive i wish i had one

8. Jim says:

Everyone forgets poor Thomas Jefferson on the $2 bill….

• insaney says:

That’s because evryone would like to forget the $2 bill along with the Susan B. Anthony coin..LOL

9. marais morris says:

difference between “You’re” and “Your”. To call someone ignorant, you should have written “You’re ignorant…”; the word “Your” is to show possession such as “Your house”, “Your boat” or “Your ignorance.”

10. Anonymous says:

It would be a blessing for me to received a 100,000 bill or even higher.Would be nice.

11. Rich Venture says:

Thanks for the information on the various currency bills.

When I was about 6 or 7, my grandmother sat at our kitchen table and showed me a $500 bill. She did not have a checking account (no one did in those days – 1947) and so she carried them around with her. She was visiting Indiana from her home in Michigan. I guess she didn’t think we had dollar bills in Indiana. In any event, I was impressed…

12. Kashunda says:

Damn I need that

13. factchecker says:

Due to inflation, the US should really introduce the bills, I wonder what anti-counterfeiting features were used, probably little to none since bills were rarely used, the $500 today would be worth what a $100 bill was in 1969.

Although concerns about illegal and laundering, and electronic transfer of funds are current, nothing stops check cashing and use of foreign s,
    also let us say you want to buy a high-end computer and a refrigerator , you want 20-30 $100 bills?

14. ghabs says:

i have a 10 pcs of 100,000 bill.but im here in philippines,how can i changed it? any advise pls…

• Lois says:

It’s highly unlikely that you have pieces of a genuine $100,000 bill since it’s used exclusively by the US Federal Reserve for transactions between banks and they have never benn in general circulation. You can contact someone who can give you further information here:

But don’t get your hopes up. The Federal Reserve knows where all of it’s $100,000 bills are.

Theoretically if you have a certain percentage of a bill, you can get some of the value from a Federal Reserve Bank, but that is for bills in general circulation.

15. Waste Management, Inc. says:

I really dont know what to say just wanted to look at a bill worth more than $100

16. Phil says:

Factchecker is correct about re-introducing the larger denomination bills back due to inflastion. The Euro (at least for now) has a $500 Euro note. What about all those folks who had 1, 10, and 100 BILLION Zimbabean notes. In China, their largest note is still the 100 Yuan, about $14.

17. Bradley Squires says:

I belive i have a real 1918 $10,000 bill. I have researched it for some time now but I have still come to no real conclusion on weather it’s really real and how much I can get for it.

18. Bradley Squires says:

If any one out there belives that they can help me, I would really appreciate it. And even though I am not over 18 years old, I am really serious about it. Just email me at likeabos3@gmail.com. Thanks.

• insaney says:

Find a reputable coin and crrency store or grading house in your area. If it is counterfiet, it is most likely illegal to posses it. If it is real, condition is EVERYTHING. Could mean the difference between $11,000 and $110,000

19. callie says:

the bill can you cash it in pwan shop?

20. callie says:

i have two of them

21. Ashllynn says:

I need it so bad I only have two dollars left

22. Michael says:

You say that you never knew that non presidents ever graced the face of ‘modern’ US Legal Tender. The $100. bill has Benjamin Franklin on it and he was never president of the USA.

• Rick Woodell says:

Salmon P. chase is on the $10,000 bill. He was never a U.S. President, but served as Secretary of the Treasury under Lincoln!