Culture Cents
comments

What do rappers invest in? Judging by their lyrics, gold and deposits

Judging from their lyrics, rappers invest in gold and bank deposits over stocks and bonds.Rap Genius, a one-stop shop for annotated rap lyrics, released a tool that allows you to search their entire archive of rap lyrics for certain words or phrases.

Being the type of person who looks to rap for insights on finance, the first thing I did was plug in different types of investments to see which ones rappers preferred, or at least rapped about.

Judging by the amount of times they mention them in their songs, the No. 1 asset class rappers invest in is precious metals. Gold was by far the most popular term among those I’d consider mainstream investments (no wine, art or stuff like that).

After gold came the rest, which you can see in the chart below.

Judging by their lyrics, rappers invest in gold and deposits, not so much in real estate and bonds

Rappers seem to favor deposits, followed by stocks. Real estate was popular in the golden age of hip-hop, but has since fallen off to the same level as bonds and venture capital (“startup”). Hedge funds are barely on rappers’ radar, which is good since most of them aren’t great investments anyway.

What does this all mean? If rappers are putting their investing dollars where their mouths are, they probably need to diversify, especially since deposits are barely paying anything and gold doesn’t produce cash flows at all. It also probably means I need to get out more.

What do you think? Are you investing your portfolio based on rap lyrics, or is that just me?

(Photo: Flickr user AZAdam)

8 Responses to “What do rappers invest in? Judging by their lyrics, gold and deposits”

1. Karl says:

This article is irrelevant nonsense. Please write a about something that matters

2. Valerie Rind says:

We all need a bit of “irrelevant nonsense.” I like a creative approach rather than hearing the same old boring songs over and over about investments. :)

3. Stephanie says:

I hope the rappers read this, most I doubt have a clue what in the world you’re even talking about. If they are big enough, they have “people” with brains that are taking a chunk of their money to think about these things. It was interesting & certainly something I had never thought about nor do I care.

4. Valerie Rind says:

@Karl – Not “songs” in the musical sense. But the same advice we read over and over. Buy low, sell high. Diversify. Don’t invest based on emotion. All tried and true “songs”, but without a new angle.

5. Claes Bell says:

Hey Valerie, thanks. Karl, sorry you didn’t like the post. I feel like we do a lot of straight reporting and more serious material but it’s fun to do stuff like this to lighten things up a bit.

6. J. says:

I like this article. I know I think about more than just investing and money, so it’s nice to take a break from it and look at the ways other people live. To quote a movie, “Lighten up, Francis!”

7. Beej says:

Thank you, Claes! I’m with J and Valerie. It’s great to diversify the portfolio a bit, if I may put it that way.
    Meantime, anyone who didn’t like this article should check out the next one, full of invaluable, common-sense tips every investor should bear in mind. While I don’t end up reading every article on Bargaineering, I really appreciate the site: it’s so informative, and just entertaining enough. Thanks.