Credit, Free
comments

Remember to Cancel Citi Credit Protector

If anyone signed up for Citi Credit Protector for that $100 gas certificate promotion I mentioned last month, I wanted to remind you that the free trial month is almost up and that you should probably get onto canceling it. I just called them up at 1-800-380-8556 to cancel yesterday and it took about ten minutes to complete.

The number above is the Citi Credit Protector enrollment line but the letter that was mailed to me had 1-888-592-7344 as the customer service line, which may get you to a cancellation faster. Either way, when you talk to the representative, just realize that they’ll try three times to get you to stay. Don’t take it personally, they’re not trying to be a pain… it’s just their job. The first try will just be a reiteration of program benefits, followed by a “we’ll just keep it on.” Just say no thanks, don’t be offended by their forwardness and presumptuousness (as if you signed up for the benefits in the first place). Following your “no thank you,” the representative will probably say something entirely inappropriate like “I understand what you’re saying… but…” as if they were following a script, that’s because they are. Then go into how cheap your plan is and how they can make it cheaper. Just say no thanks because you honestly can’t beat $0, which is exactly how much I’d be willing to pay for the service. Then, be prepared for the ever tempting offer of some special benefit involving you going to graduate school full time and them waiving two payments – following that third “no thanks” they will finally cancel you. If you’re in a particular rush, you can interrupt them before they finish the whole thing with a staccato “no thanks.”

And remember to mail in that gas certificate.

10 Responses to “Remember to Cancel Citi Credit Protector”

1. King Asa says:

Does it matter whether you mail the certificate in before you cancel? or whether they receive your certificate in the mail before you cancel?

2. jim says:

Not according to the certificate, it doesn’t make mention of you needing an active account.

3. Hawkmoon Nine says:

Ok, so I went to cancel it. Said no thanks to keeping it the first time he asked. The second time he asked if I wanted to keep it if he sent me a $50 Home Depot, Wal*Mart or Best Buy gift card. I wasn’t expecting that. So I kind of stammered for a few seconds and said, sure. Worth my time to get another $50. I’ll cancel it next week.

4. I says:

Interesting I didn’t get the GC offer. But cancelling was no hassle at all very quick, didn’t try to make me feel guilty, etc.

5. John says:

Do you have to send in the rebate by a certain date?

6. Hawkmoon Nine says:

John, I had to send in the $100 gas rebate by Dec 31st

7. Hawkmoon Nine says:

My wife canceled hers, no gift card for her :(

They offered her a better rate on the service, but she declined and canceled.

8. ChrisCPA says:

I cancelled by letter & got an email confirming my cancellation.

9. thanks Hawkmoon Nine,

I call to cancel to try to get another $50…Here is what i did, tell them you are kinda iffy if you still want to continue..tell them it wasn’t worth it and you are not sure..the csr will try to get you to stay for a lower rate program…tell csr “i’m noottt so sure..ehhh”…if csr doesn’t offer you anything ($50)….i went ahead and mention a friend of mine got $50 gift card for staying on the plan…CSR then offer me to send the $50 certificate on any retailer..It’s kinda like the gas rebate except it’s a retailer rebate.

10. str says:

does anyone happen to have a scan of the latest $100 gas rebate form. i think it says the receipts must be mailed in by june 2007. thank you