Personal Finance
comments

Request Your CLUE Report

CLUE ReportsHave you requested your CLUE report lately? It’s one of several specialty reports you should be reviewing annually and today I requested mine.

CLUE stands for Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange and your CLUE report details your seven year claims history with your insurance company. You have two CLUE reports, both of which come from ChoicePoint:

• CLUE Personal Property Report: This report covers personal property loss history and inquiry history. This will include all insurance claims you’ve made in the last seven years that aren’t auto-related.
  • CLUE Auto Report: This report covers auto loss history and inquiry history.

You can order both for free from ChoiceTrust here. The FACT Act (Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act, which was an amendment to the Fair Credit Reporting Act), which gives you the right to see a credit report once every twelve months, gives you the right to see any report that is collected by a “consumer reporting agency,” every twelve months, including these reports.

It’s less important to review these reports from an identity theft perspective because reviewing your credit report will catch things much sooner. Reviewing your CLUE reports is still important because you want to make sure that there aren’t unknown inquiries or incorrect and inaccurate claims published on your report. Your insurance premiums are based in part on what is in your CLUE report, so it’s important to keep that as accurate as possible.

The reports themselves are boring, but short, and they have samples online if you want to see what they’re like. Here’s one for personal property and one for auto.

For a more in-depth look at CLUE reports, privacyrights.org has a long write-up on it.

19 Responses to “Request Your CLUE Report”

1. Wilma says:

In recent years employers ask to check your credit report along with your application. Are they looking at this report as well as my credit report to see if I’ve collected a settlement from past employers? I always wondered how they found out about settlements paid out. My clue report should be empty. Now that I know it exists, I guess that’s one more thing I have to check periodically.

2. ziglet19 says:

Thanks for the information. I am diligent about checking my credit report, but I had no idea such a report existed or that I could check on it for insurance claims.

3. ziglet19 says:

The links for the sample reports both go to the personal property sample. Is there an updated link for the auto sample report?

4. Jon Cryer says:

They don’t work for me. I get

404 Not Found
    /restrictedip.jsp was not found on this server.

Resin 2.1.9 (built Tue Apr 15 14:28:40 PDT 2003)

5. zapeta says:

The auto one can be found by changing the word property to auto in the URL for the property report.

6. Aaron N. says:

Thanks for posting this, good stuff to have access to!

7. javi says:

Thanks, I never knew about this report!

8. Shirley says:

Thank you for this article. I had never heard of a CLUE report.

9. eric says:

I did this last week. Nothing suspicious..good to know :)

10. tmartin says:

Similar to the common question of ‘does requesting your credit report hurt your credit score?’ — does requesting your CLUE report (and thus an inquiry) change anything with your insurance rates?

11. Ginger says:

If I bought a camera on my American Express and it is stolen and I report the claim through my card, does American Express report to clue?

12. Regina Williams says:

I am trying to correct our clue report but your posting did not help me do that or go anywhere to get this done. Not helpfuly at all.

13. Dwight Spencer says:

This article has aged beyond being useful. The Choicepoint references are no longer valid. The report can still be requested, but it is from LexisNexis.

• Gruetzi says:

Thanks Dwight. Might you please post a URL for the LexisNexis page on which to request the report?