Cars, General
comments

Rewarding Good Driving?

Travis County residents in Central Texas were “pulled over” and given Round Rock Express baseball tickets as a reward for good behavior.

“The big cargo truck that was in front of you and you allowed to get in front of you, that was a very nice thing you did, and because it was a safe thing, we want to reward you with a Round Rock Express baseball tickets,” [Travis County Deputy Derrick] Taylor tells a good driver.

Apparently they did this twenty years ago and instead of tickets, they gave out crisp new Grants ($50). Would you like to get pulled over for good behavior and rewarded with some money?

via KXAN, ABC affiliate in Texas.

7 Responses to “Rewarding Good Driving?”

1. CK says:

A free $50 sure, minor league baseball tickets not so sure if it’s worth my heart skipping a beat for.

2. Nick says:

This is not only a stupid idea, it’s dangerous. What if this person, an otherwise friendly driver, just killed someone and is trying to make his way to Mexico? He might see the police and decide to slam on the gas pedal. Then you’ve got yourself a life-threatening high speed chase with a guy who has nothing to lose.

A better way would be to deploy cameras to take pictures of license plates and then drop the reward in the mail. (But then people might suspect it’s some sort of scam and throw away the tickets; I know I probably would!)

3. FMF says:

I like it. Good marketing from the cops. ;-)

4. EN says:

In a way, I agree with Nick. As much as I don’t like the police sitting around and waiting for speeders, I would rather they not sit around and wait to reward someone for doing what they were supposed to do. The police should be protecting us. My reward for safe driving is low insurance and functioning limbs.

5. Brian says:

I live in the area where they are doing this…I think it’s a stupid idea.

6. Bored says:

Sure I’d like it, but there are no good drivers in Michigan… :P

7. Jared Allen says:

This happened to my father in Arizona about a decade ago or so. It is still the only time he’s been pulled over and he was more than a little peeved. I don’t think he thought the $20 gift certificate was worth it.