Personal Finance
comments

Rich People Are Crazy!

Imagine that you just bought a $16M home… it’s gorgeous, idyllic, and 99.99999% of all human beings on the planet would do anything to be able to live in a home like that. Now imagine that you just submitted a request to the Preservation Division in your town for permission to demolish that home. That’s right… demolish it. Stop imagining it because John Henry, owner of the Boston Red Sox, has done just that.

But wait, there’s more. Now imagine that you’re a little puppy that’s been living the high life. It’s a life that most human beings would trade their left arm for… now imagine that your benefactor has passed away and has left you twelve million dollars. That’s right. Oh yeah, your name is Trouble and that’s exactly what happened. Leona Helmsley left her dog Trouble exactly twelve million dollars. Two of her grandkids got nothing.

Okay okay, just when you thought rich people weren’t all that crazy… check this out. Mel Gibson bought an island in Fiji and he had an eight lane bowling alley shipped there. Yeah… four lanes just wouldn’t be enough.

But wait there’s more… check out this story about the homes of billionaires. “Perhaps most mind-numbing of all is Baron Capital Management founder Ron Baron’s record-breaking buy this year. In May, Baron paid Adelaide de Menil Carpenter, an heiress to the Schlumberger oil fortune, $103 million for a 40-acre property in East Hampton, N.Y., shattering the previous residential record held by Ron Perelman, who sold a Palm Beach estate for $70 million in 2004.” Amazing.

But wait… there’s more! The last one is more of a sad story about Michael Larson. Michael Larson was the guy who figured out the pattern in Press Your Luck and won himself a cool $110,237. You have to read his story, it’s amazing, until you get to the part where he loses it all in a real estate Ponzi scheme and some get rich quick fraud contest involving matching serial numbers on dollar bills. Poor guy. I guess that’s not really a crazy rich story but I wanted to write about it anyway. :)

10 Responses to “Rich People Are Crazy!”

1. Shadox says:

That’s real motivation for getting rich!
    I wish I could afford to be that crazy – minus the leaving everything to the dog part…

2. Hazzard says:

I just read that Mel is putting up all his properties for sale and is moving his family to Costa Rica where the govt has warned him he won’t be safe. I believe they call it “Bandit Territory”

3. askprofit says:

It seems that these people have so much money they don’t know what to do with it. It is crazy when dogs have a better life than most people!!

4. Mrs. Micah says:

Nothing against Costa Rica, but why would Mel Gibson move there? That makes no more sense than me moving to Hollywood (since I’m not planning to be in films).

I just wish rich people were crazy enough to give me some of that money. ;-)

5. Most dogs have it better than people…

They sit around and watch tv all day… destroy our stuff… then we have to follow them around outside while they crap wherever they feel like it, and we have to clean it up for them. :D

6. Carl says:

^ I agree… except you’re neutered :)

7. saladdin says:

Maybe Mel just wants to go Costa Rica to get away from the Jews?

Joke.

saladdin

8. Andrea says:

I’m sure Mel Gibson would just like his family to be able to go to the grocery store anonymously or something like that. I wouldn’t my family’s safety for it though.

9. I agree with everything except the dog thing! I would want to make sure my pets were taken care of if I died before they did. They’re my responsibility and I take that seriously – they’re not disposable. Also, she could have had beef with the grandkids. A lot of kids who grow up wealthy feel pretty entitled. Probably more so than Trouble!

Granted, giving the dog $12b is a lot.

10. MoneyNing says:

If we examine the percentage that the rich use to do certain weird things and compare that with the percentage that the poor use to do certain weird things, we might be surprised!