Personal Finance
comments

Roundup: BP Oil Spill Gusher Rages on in Gulf

The BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico just keeps on going (though it’s down to a smaller leak)… it’s been spilling since the Deepwater Horizon exploded April 21st. Since then, oil has been “leaking” out at a staggering rate. These pictures are just sad. The effects of this disaster will be felt for decades. In Alaska’s Prince William Sound, where the Exxon Valdez spilled millions of crude twenty years ago, the herring have yet to return.

In other news…

• Jeffrey Lee is the sole member of the Djok clan and senior custodian of Koongarra, an area in Australia with 14,000 tonnes of uranium. Instead of selling it to an energy company and becoming a billionaire, he donated it to the government to be included in the national parks system. We can all learn a lot from this story.
  • Should you listen to people who are bad with money? Brad at Time posed that question to me, I’m curious what you think of my answer, it’s the last one in the article.
  • We face a ton of fees nowadays. Jorgen Wouters at Wallet Pop takes a swing at ten annoying fees, some of which are unavoidable. My personal nemesis… Ticketmaster.
  • Kiplinger shares 71 ways to cut your 2010 tax bill, many of which Bargaineering readers will be familiar with. However, familiarity does breed a bit of contempt
    so give it a quick scan to see if there are any things you’re missing. One thing I didn’t know was that vacation home mortgage interest is deductible… I blame that on the fact that we don’t have a vacation home. :)
  • Fraud alerts on your credit score will not hurt your credit score, according to Ron Lieber of the New York Times. The NYT then backed it up by asking industry experts, including spokespeople for credit unions, and they were all in agreement – no affect on your score. It will add a little hassle in getting credit because creditors will demand more, which is, after all, the point of the alert.
  • I track our net worth because it’s the easiest way to get a handle of how we’re doing financially, but that’s only one of the many reasons why you should track your net worth. It’s like knowing your body weight, it’s not the most important number but everything else rolls up to it.

How many of you saw the Lost finale? What did you think? How about these unanswered questions?

Have a great Memorial Day weekend!

10 Responses to “Roundup: BP Oil Spill Gusher Rages on in Gulf”

1. billsnider says:

This is really a national disaster. I really feel bad for the people who live and work in the Gulf region. My heart goes out to you.

I also feel bad about the long term ramifications of this. We in America have to cut back our use of oli if we want to do our part to reduce, if not eliminate this from happening again.

Bill Snider

2. zapeta says:

The Jeff Lee story was great. Thank you for sharing!

3. J. Money says:

Thanks for the shout out bro – here’s to a good week!

4. The oil spill is sad. It’s ridiculous that a company make so much money hasn’t been able to figure out how to stop the oil from spilling. As we can see, not only is it bad for the environment when we use it, but also if it is not handled appropriately. I just hope that one day (sooner than later) that we can rid ourselves of our dependency on oil. Maybe the release of several electric cars this upcoming year are a sign that we are finally moving in the right direction.

With Lost, I am pretty bummed that more questions weren’t answered, but the show is great. It is easily my favorite show I have ever seen and was a pleasure to watch for the last 6 years. My opinion on the ending was to show that the characters were what the show was about, not the island. I still was really into all the island mystery, but we all got to really know all of the characters well and become connected with them. What would be really nice if the producers did give us at least some answers in either extras on the dvd or a movie.

• cubiclegeoff says:

I’m not so sure they ever knew how to fix this type of oil spill. Hopefully this will boost electric cars (although the Nissan Leaf is already sold out for their first model year).

I’m not sure the writers for Lost knew answers to most of the questions. I think they started to make it too complicated and knowing that the end was defined, they started to stick to the basic questions and find a decent ending that fit their thoughts.

5. eric says:

The BP spill is just horrendous. It’s so saddening.

6. cdiver says:

Hopefully the spill does not bring destruction to the Florida Keys and the coral reefs along both coasts.

7. cdiver says:

Lost….that is a sore subject. I loved the show, then they ruined it. Can’t make myself watch the finale.

8. cubiclegeoff says:

Similar to a vacation home, if you own a boat with certain amenities (like a bathroom), you can deduct the interest on the loan.