Investing, Personal Finance
comments

Rule #1 by Phil Town

Phil emailed me last September (I think after seeing me in the New York Times) and invited me to look at his blog over at Rule #1 Blog. Usually, the first page I look for when I visit an unfamiliar blog is the About page because it lets me know a little about the brain behind the blog. The stuff I found on Phil’s About Page was amazing (he was a canyon river guide, a soldier, and he turned $1,000 to a million in five years). He’s spoken to millions of people and shared the stage with former Presidents and other dignitaries but the most compelling part of his story is that he has no magic formula and he’s gotten where he is because of hard work.

He’s penned a book formulated after his investing strategy titled Rule #1 : The Simple Strategy for Successful Investing in Only 15 Minutes a Week! and he sent me a copy to review (just received it yesterday). Look for the review in the coming days as I read it and I will put $1,000 aside to follow this strategy to give you (and me) proof that it works.

Until then, if you want a sneak peak of his investing advice, check out his blog. One of the best parts about the blog is that readers will email Phil their analysis of a company and he’ll respond, posting both on his blog for everyone to learn.

10 Responses to “Rule #1 by Phil Town”

1. FMF says:

I got mine yesterday too — looking forward to reading it. I saw him speak last year and he was great!

2. denon says:

hmm .. interesting site, but I think I prefer your, and other financial bloggers’ nuts and bolts approach. From what I see here, Phil seems to be more of a motivational speaker, working to build self-confidence and reiterate common sense. Maybe the world really is in need of more common sense, but I think I’m fairly well situated there. I’d rather see some good, solid and specific advice over a “You can do it! Believe in yourself!”

Just my 2 cents, don’t spend it all at once..

3. FMF says:

In his speech the talked about his “system” which seemed to make a good amount of sense. Problem for me — it also requires a lot of time and research. I prefer to go with index funds and spend my time doing something besides 8 hours of research on a single company.

4. jim says:

He has a pretty straight forward research system too, you might want to read into his site further… or he could’ve taken that part down because of the book? I’ll have to look later tonight.

5. denon says:

Maybe I’m too simplistic .. but if there was really a tried and trued system, wouldn’t there only be one mutual fund in the world? And wouldn’t it always be insanely profitable? :)

6. jim says:

There is a tried and trued system, buy and hold but that’s no fun. :)

7. denon says:

Buy and Hold didn’t work for Worldcom stockholders.. :)

8. jim says:

They didn’t buy and hold the right stock!

9. Steve Mertz says:

Speakers like Phil work their tails off going city to city and have to produce big back of the room sales to continue on the circuit. He seems to do this well-his approach does take time & effort but I still prefer to sell a stock when it drops below its 50 day moving average-if this is part of my trading portfolio. Bottom line-whatever works for you :)

10. Trader Mike says:

Carnival of Investing, Issue 9

It’s carnival time! No, not that carnaval but the much more exciting 9th edition of the Carnival of Investing. For the uninitiated, this carnival consists of recent articles about investing from the blogosphere. Without further ado, here are this week…