Government
comments

Second Economic Stimulus Check: Obama’s Economic Plan

The Make Work Pay tax credit will put $400 ($800 for couples) into your pocket and was passed in the recovery and reinvestment plan.

1/15: The Committee on Appropriations just released the an executive summery of the details of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Plan.

Update 10/21: Bernanke recently endorsed a stimulus package and new life has been given to the prospects of a second stimulus package.

Update: Looks like there’s been more movement on another stimulus check. I wouldn’t hold my breath but it’s a step past campaign fodder.

The ink hasn’t even dried on the first economic stimulus checks mailed out last month and this month and there’s already talk of another stimulus package that would include a second stimulus check, tax breaks for the middle class and seniors, as well as debt relief for students. It’s the first economic salvo fired by Democratic Presidential presumptive nominee Barack Obama this week in a speech at the North Carolina State Fairgrounds [full text of that speech]. In his speech, he briefly discussed long term goals but focused on the short term ones, including a second economic stimulus check.

Second Stimulus Check: $50 Billion

The idea of a second economic stimulus check (who can say no to another stimulus check?)is obviously what most people latched onto (though there were no details in the speech itself) and it was the first thing he mentioned in the short term plan.

That’s why I’ve called for another round of fiscal stimulus, an immediate $50 billion to help those who’ve been hit hardest by this economic downturn – Americans who have lost their jobs, their homes, and are facing rising costs and cutbacks in state and local services like education and health care. We need to expand unemployment benefits and extend them for those who can’t find another job right away – especially since the long-term unemployment rate is nearly twice as high as it was during the last recession. And we must help the millions of homeowners who are facing foreclosure through no fault of their own. [Page 3 of speech]

The other things mentioned in that piece is a 13-week (or more) extension to unemployment benefits, a $10 billion Foreclosure Prevention Fund (which would include a credit of 10% of their mortgage interest payment every year), as well as changes to the mortgage industry to include a Home Score system that helps consumers compare mortgage offers and assess payback ability.

Middle Class & Senior Tax Relief

Page 5 goes into, after railing on McCain, how he’ll slash of corporate tax breaks, close tax loopholes, and begin windfall taxing oil companies to help pay for middle class tax cuts. $1,000 of relief for approximately 95% of workers and families, paid for by the windfall profits of Exxon Mobil. His plan also called for the elimination of income taxes for retirees that earn less than $50,000 a year and raising the Social Security tax cap, without changing the retirement age or privatizing Social Security.

There are several more subjects in the speech, such as a Credit Card Bill of Rights and revamping bankruptcy laws, but we’ll have to wait until next week for details on some of the more long term economic plans. Stay tuned…

370 Responses to “Second Economic Stimulus Check: Obama’s Economic Plan”

1. Hermon says:

OK! WHATEVER… OBAMA MIGHT BE GODS GIFT TO THIS COUNTRY, BUT A POLITICIAN WILL PROMISE AN ARM AND A LEG TO GET A VOTE. HE DOSEN’T TELL IF IT IS APPROVED BY THE HOUSE OR THE CONGRESS OR THE SENATE. ITS IDIOTS OUT THERE THAT BELIEVE THAT THIS COUNTRY IS A ONE MAN SHOW. HOW STUPID CAN YOU BE!!!!!!!

• trish says:

hermon,
      hey, guess what…he got the vote!!
      i’m a single mom and could use 4 or 5 (or 6 or 7). if it works for the economy, why not do it?
      don’t get me wrong i make pretty good money but, the economy definately needs it.

• Michelle says:

Trish,,,, I think you need to read Hermons comment again. He is saying YES Obama got the vote,BUT HE’S GOT TO GO THROUGH CONGRESS AND SENATE. They are the ones that really makes the final decisions……….

• Sher says:

I STRUGGLED ON WHO I SHOULD VOTE FOR AND VOTED FOR MCCAIN, BUT WHEN I FOUND OUT OBAMA WON I DID NOT THINK IT WAS SO BAD EITHER AND SAID TO MYSELF…….. I PROBABLY SHOULD HAVE VOTED FOR HIM ANYWAY BECAUSE IT IS NICE FOR A CHANGE TO HAVE A YOUNGER PRESIDENT AND PROBABLY SOMEONE WITH NEW IDEAS AND NOT THE SAME OLD, SAME OLD FOR THE MOST PART. I AM ABOUT SICK OF THE SAME OLD, SAME OLD…MEANING BUSH AND YES THE CONGRESS HAS TO VOTE ALSO, BUT I THINK AS A REPUBLICAN BUSH REALLY MADE SOME BAD DECISIONS AND THE REPUBLICAN PARTY WAS PRONE TO GO ALONG WITH HIM WHILE THE DEMOCRATS WERE NOT. THAT IS WHAT I THINK ANYWAY. AT LEAST BUSH IS GONE AND WE HAVE A CHANCE!!!

• Michelle says:

Your right, but no matter what president we have he still has to go through congress and senate.They are the ones we have to set back and wait on for a final decision!!!

• Kelly says:

You did not get change by wanting Oboma in, you go the same people under the Clintons, including one of them. You will get not a dime of this new stimulas package that just passed and in the long run everyone will see they made the wrong “choice”,especially when we are “tested” per VP Biden!

• Sher says:

We have a “chance” not “choice.” If we had a choice lord knows who we would end up with because most people would never agree. We have a chance and that is what we need. Obama is now our president and like said, give the guy a chance.

• Sher says:

Michelle…..Yes, I know you are correct in saying Obama has to go through congress and senate to get things to pass :) which is good in some ways and bad in others (especially when he has to try to get something to pass that would benefit us without a doubt and then they do not pass it.) I think it is a change that we needed getting a democrat (which I am usully for democrat or republican, whichever one is better) to try and pass and bring up better solutions in the first place rather than bad ones.

• Audrey says:

I agree. Politicians will promise an arm and a leg to get a vote. But he got the vote- and he’s still holding onto his plans…

• Irma says:

Hermon it is idots like yourself that make deeper holes in our country. Why not stop the ignorance and allow him to do his job.. I have sat here and listened to men and women gripe and complain about his inexperience to lead our country , in the past experience has taken us nowhere.

• Ginnipher says:

He had not even been in the senate for a year before he started campaigning!! He is ignorant and this country will see that. You say experience has gotten us no where, well just wait and see where inexperience gets us!! IT wont be any better… HOPE FOR CHANGE 1/20/13

• Josef says:

Ok so you think Obama is an idiot….. So that mean you prefer to have an ex prisoner of war in office with the ability to start yet another war. (Revenge is nature)

• tameka says:

I think Obama is going to be great for our country. It does not give you a right to call him ignorant. Why dont you stop being ignorant and saying stupid things as if you can predict the future. It is very ignorant to let people know that you are predjudice. If it was not for your republican Bush, things would not be the way they are now. TORE UP!!!!!!

• Kyria says:

Well anyone has got to be better than Bush!!!! He drove this country right into the hole. Republicans are not for the people!!! I voted for Obama and I’m sure things will be just fine eventually. It might take some time, but having a democrat in office is a good thing! Remember how good things were when Clinton was president??? Lots of jobs, our country was not in debt. I say go Obama!!!!!!

• Reality Check says:

First of all the Government is not giving us anything.This is tax payers money that is being handed out freely AGAIN.When the man gave the bail out money to the car industry,who did it help?With the economy in the shape that its in the man has more control of our money more than ever.If they would gave the American worker the bail out money we would be in a lot better shape than we are now.Think about this if the average American could have gotten there bail out we all could have a little better life and actually be able to buy a vehicle.Then the car industry still would have gotten there bail out.After these bail outs have things gotten any better?I think not.

• jeff says:

i agree give the people money who can buy item, what good does it do to give money to a big car d ealer, the reason they are going broke is because we average americans can not buy a car so hey lets give the company more money just to go broke, without the people having money, we can not line the pockets of the company

• Sher says:

I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOU. IF THE SMALLER AMERICAN IS NOT KEPT AFLOAT, THEN WE CANNOT BUY OBVIOUSLY. IF WE CANNOT BUY, THEN THE DEALERSHIPS AND OTHER COMPANIES GETS NO MONEY FROM US. IT SEEMS TO ME THAT THE DEALERSHIPS SHOULD HAVE LOWERED EXPENSES (AS WE ALL SEEM TO FIND A WAY BUT HAVE REACHED OUR END) AND PRICES BY THE GOVERNMENT PUTTING STIPULATIONS ON THEM SOMEHOW IN SOME WAY. THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD HAVE GIVEN US THE MONEY, OR AT LEAST PART OF IT, AND WE COULD HAVE USED IT TO STIMULATE THE ECONOMY, AND THAT IS IF EVERY SELFISH COMPANY OUT THERE WOULD HELP TO LEVEL THINGS OFF SO THAT WE CAN AFFORD TO BUY. WHAT DO THESE COMPANIES THINK? THAT WE CAN LEVEL IT OFF OURSELVES? FOR THE ONES THAT ARE RICH, THEY ARE NOT RICH WITHOUT US. IF THEY DO NOT KEEP US AFLOAT, THE WHOLE THING GOES DOWN. I TRULY DO NOT KNOW WHERE THEIR BRAINS ARE AND WHERE THEY HAVE BEEN. I REALLY BELIEVE THAT ALL OF THE COMPANIES’ OWN SELFISHNESS (RAISING PRICES, KEEPING PAY LOW, NO INSURANCE, SHALL I GO ON?)HAS GOTTEN THEM WHERE THEY ARE TODAY AND SO PUT US WHERE WE ARE TODAY AND THE GOVERNMENT HAS LET THAT HAPPEN. I AM REALLY SICK OF HEARING ABOUT THEM (MOST OF THE COMPANIES AND THE RICH) CRY WHEN THEY HAVE SCREWED US FOR FAR TOO LONG ON PRICES AND RESPECT :) SORRY ALL. BUT I AM SO TIRED OF THEIR SELFISHNESS AND GREED AND WILL NOT GO INTO WHO IS WHO BECAUSE THAT WILL TAKE FAR TOO LONG!

• Sher says:

LOL. You made me laugh on that last part. :)

• nobama13 says:

YOUR SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO RIGHT!! Giving these car companies this bailout money was so ridiculous i wanna vomit!! What about the families that own the companies setting on all this profit!! You dont see them trying to reinvest their own revenue into their companies. That just wouldnt be fair would it. Having to take their “hard earned” money to better their business. SELFISH A$$HOLES

• Sher says:

My message was supposed to be down here instead of up there…..I will say it again…..LOL. You made me laugh on that last part :)

2. People Have No Compassion says:

Hermon AKA hermoine, you have been living to many harry potter fantasies. Tap your wand and make your stimulus check come this way to all of us. I don’t pay taxes? ummm total taken outa my check a week is about 100.00 and to your answer of bailing out? no i think there were wrong to bail out any financial institution, if anyone should have been bailed out is the people,.. the people that were sucked dry bcoz of high fuel prices and everything else associated with fuel. All these companies made bad choices and lined there pockets with cold cash, we didn’t do a damn thing wrong. Remember, we the people pay for every damn thing that goes wrong in this country and the one time were in need of help we got lemmings like you who scream bloody murder that we should not be helped… hmmm are you one of them corp scumbags? as far as being gullable and listening to whatever those politicians say to get my vote? i admit im 100% ashamed that i have never ever voted in my life, i am born and raised here.. and why haven’t i voted? hmmm they all feed you lies then forget about why they were put in office. The one thin i wish i could change is that i wish i would have finally put my vote in and voted for obama. Til now no one has ever heared of obama, i believe the reason is that a nobody was put to be president so that all that the bush administration has done they will try to make it fall back on obama, blame obama and bush will be the scape goat but guess what,.. i believe he will over come this and make change and it will be so unpresidented that it will have heads spinning. IM GLAD WE FINALLY HAVE SOMEONE IN OFFICE THAT KNOWS WHAT ITS LIKE TO BE ON THE POOR SIDE AND OBAMA, WE BELIEVE CHANGE WILL COME!! THIS COUNTRY WAS BUILT WITH HONEST LEADERS BUT OVER THE LAST 50-70 YEARS THAT SLOWLY HAS ERODED AND I BELIEVE IT WILL TAKE PEOPLE LIKE OBAMA TO RESTORE THAT CONFIDENCE. AS FAR AS A ONE MAN SHOW? HE HAS MUCH MORE POWER THAN YOU THINK. THERE ARE ONLY CERTAIN THINGS CONGRESS CAN VETO. WETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT, OBAMA IS ABOUT AMERICA AND IF WE GET MORE LIKE HIM.. IT WILL RESTORE AMERICA TO ITS FORMER GLORY!!! ITS ABOUT TIME CORP AMERICA STOPS RUNNING AMERICA AND WE THE PEOPLE HAVE THE SAY!!

Remember one thing: The rich protect the rich and its proof right there, were the ones in need of help and what is the bush administration and the democrats doing? again, helping the rich corp. They cry mercy and have there hands out, ohhh lets right them billions of dollars in help. We want help, oops sorry we can’t do it. If every single person in the usa stop paying taxes and stop buying anything from big corperations there wont be any of them.

• Hannah says:

First of all, if you really think that Obama is poor and can relate to us, you might want to rethink that statement, he made 4 million on the book he wrote, both him and Michelle are attorneys so if they are poor then what do you consider people that make 50,000 a year. Obama is doing a repeat of the Clinton years, he is promising things he cannot possibly deliver; he did this to get your vote. If you are that naive than I guess you will just have to wait and see what he really does, which is raise your taxes just like every other president, there is no other way around this. Obama has no experience and you will see this in the next 4 years. Maybe you should borrow that so called Harry Potter wand, and help your hero Obama, because he is going to need it, the man made so many promises to rich/famous people he now has to pay them back, ex: Hillary Clinton.

• trish says:

Hannah,
        You are right; Obama is not poor. Not now but, he was at one time and that is why he is successful now. He was determined to not live the rest of his life like that. And so can everyone else. It’s called financial aid. I too am in school and will not be on that side of the fence too much longer. I’m really not quite there now but, I could be if i lost my job. Just as everyone else could be.
        By the way, are you a republican?? Wanted the hockey mother helping to run the U.S.?? Guess what? Obama got the votes needed (by a land slide)

• TN says:

We really should be looking into the past to fix what bush has done to this country what happen to Responsibility when I make a bad call at my Employer Expence I am punished in one way or another here we are saying how Obama will fall short by being the President what can we as the people of United States do I will support Obama because he has no fear of the rich and powerful and as for Clinton he had this country in the + why is this so hard to understand and by the way I made 48,500 a year and am layed off and we do need a president that can change this country ask the elderly what kind of president built this country not the kind like we have that use it for profit. lets give him a chance

• Shar says:

I agree to give Obama a chance. I actually voted for McCain but really struggled as to who to vote for. When I found out Obama won I was not surprised and not upset. I just thought to myself that it was not too bad that he won. I am glad that he won now though. I think he will do a good job in office. Sure noone is perfect and he will make mistakes but it seems like he has a good team with him. Here is to a better year, cause no matter how the low and middle class feel, we sure need one. May we be blessed for all of our patient work!!

• Katie says:

I am sorry, but Clinton was the best President we have had in along time. Our economy was in the greatest shape that it has been in along time. Our unemployment rate was very low and the people in our country seemed to be happy. I think Clinton delivered and he was a damn good President!!

• Rick- says:

Please Clinton is a huge part as to why we are in this recession. Look back at the books and the facts; The Clinton administration put regulatory rules on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and other huge investment banks to approve loans to unqualified people. Just as long as people had a pulse, they were APPROVED!!! So these collosal banks started using this to their own advantage because sooner or later the government would have to bail them out. FAVOR FOR A FAVOR!!! That is the main reason we are in this slump. The Bush Administration was always against this as well as John McCain. I feel sorry for any democrat that does NOT KNOW MUCH ABOUT HISTORY and thinks that A PERSON THAT KNOWS HOW TO DELIVER A SPEECH IS CONSIDERED THERE GOD!!!

• magic says:

hey rick!!

i guess you didnt see the economy, when clinton was president.. i guess you didnt see the millions of jobs created, when clinton was president.. i guess you didnt see the gas prices when clinton was president. i guess you didnt see the low rate of unemployment when clinton was president..

i guess you didnt see us in a war that cost’s us 50 billion a month, when clinton was president..

but yet again its stupid people like you, that dont follow politics and just believe what you see on tv and read in the news papers.

i spent 4 years in the marine corps. did two tours to iraq… trust me.. if you didnt know politics then you would learn alot abot them being in the service.. but ive always been into them..

something you need to do more research on..

im tired of fighting for you liberals.. peace love no war shytheads..

do your research and come back when you actually can prove clinton was a horrible president, and not one of THEE best presidents we have ever had!!.

that i believe!!! clinton was a great president..

bush just cleaned up his daddies work..he put us in the hole we are today. along with his daddy and the gulf war..

but guess what? its people like you that dont give a crap about the lower class people, cAUSE YOU PROBABLY LIVING OFF YOUR INHERIATED MONEY FROM YOUR RICH PARENTS.. IM MIDDLE CLASS AND HAVE NO PROBLEM HELPING OUT LOWER CLASS FAMILIES WHEN I CAN..

WITH OUT THE LOWER CLASS AND MIDDLE CLASS FAMILIES YOU RICH WOULDNT BE RICH AND NO ITS FINALLY COMING BACK TO BITE YOU IN YOUR AHOLE.. NOW THE RICH ARE BEGGING FOR MONEY BECAUSE NONE OF THE WORKING PEOPLE CAN AFFORD TO BUY THIER SUPPLIES AND KEEP THEM AFLOAT..

sucks now doesnt it you rich bstards..

• Elmore says:

Well, you might be happy to know that (I’m not sure who made it to his new staff but) last I heard he was looking at ALOT of Clinton’s old team, which I think is good because he did have alot of things going, even if everyone wanted to whine because of his personal life.

• Dina says:

Hannah,

Ummm…if your going to make a comment like that do ur research…he may have money “NOW” but he got there on his own..he had to work hard and long for it. he was a child with a single mother taking care of him. I think if any one can understand what we are all going through its HIM…he may not get it all done over night but i truly believe he will work his hardest to get us where we need to be.

• tameka says:

Hannah,
        You need to get a grip on youself and stop hating! Republicans need to wise up and stop bashing democrats. Everyone in the world has a right to a chance, give Obama a chance before you start saying things that will stir up confusion. It does not make sense to be bitter for no reason, not knowing what is to come. Are you a future predicter or something? No one can predict the changes that are to come from our new president.

• linda says:

Hannah, It amazing how people like you sit back without a word being said when the Bush Administration(who is obviously inexperienced- when he tried to finish a war his father started_no weapons of mass destruction ever found, unemployment the worst in history) led the country in this deep hole we are in. Its amazing how people like you are so quick to criticize Obama for trying to clean up the mess that someone else created over a period of eight years but grin and bear the destruction Bush has caused for this country. I say if you and others like you have the answers, you should have helped Bush run this country when he was president and maybe Obama would not have to clean up the mess “Your president left behind. I think you should have borrowed the wand to clean up this mess your president caused and use that same wand to help him find the weapons of mass destruction and Osama Bin Laden since he lied about being so concerned with terrorists. And you need to borrow that wand to find a suitable answer for the many parents, wives, children, sisters, brothers, etc. who have lost a loved one fighting a war built on a lie. Put aside Obama’s race(because I am betting that is what this is all about) and analyze what Bush has done for this country thus far. Check the statistics and judge righteous not racist.

• tameka says:

Hannah,
        You responded to the wrong thing. I am for Obama. I do not give a damn about Bush and never have. Before you try and comment on something I post you need to read carefully before you start writing bullshit!!!!!

• evonne says:

I agree with people have no compassion, This writer is difinetely right and we people always pay for their mistakes. We are tired of cleaning up their mess. The rich get rich and the poor stay poorer. This is definetely a change and hope it will be restored.

• luis says:

I do agree with you. Why we have to bail out and pay this companies for their mistakes?and how come BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari are not asking for money? and why airlines from all over the world have cheap flights,better seats and food and American companies have to be bail out? mmmm I wonder where is the money? Remember they almost through a million dollar party to celebrate that the fool government give them billions, but off course they are bush friends…well only one thing to all of them and it is my middle finger up their’s and who is going to bail me out?

3. People Have No Compassion says:

oops i made an error, it is the republicans that ive been meaning to bash DEMOCRATS ARE HERE TO MAKE A CHANGE!!!.
    Got so caught up with anger over hermoines response, i lost my head for a moment.

• Rick- says:

WHAT CHANGE???? Dont worry you have 4 years to answer that questions. haha

• Fox says:

Trouble with this is, it seems that the vocal supporters here on this site for the GOP are, well, a bit challenged in vocabulary.

I would make the hedged guess that it is very likely that they are merely repeating what has been said to them by their parents, and their priests.

In the meantime, “What change”, you ask? Oh, wait, look at that, Gitmo’s closing, torture’s getting criminalized again, and the military is being ordered to follow the military standard for interrogation. And it’s been effective in the past in not only getting answers, but creating defectors as well. How far in the past, you ask? Dig through the newsreels, it was about 6 months ago. In Iraq.

That’s change I can believe in. Sometimes, the tried and true method works best, hence, “Tried” and “True”.

4. Michelle says:

Well im going to talk about NANCY P. This last stimulus check we did receive that bush gave out,that we have to pay state taxes on. was delayed because of her. she was wanting to give it to food stamps and unemployment. That would not have done any good. WHY CAN’T THE HOUSE DEMOCRATIC LEADER AND THE OTHER POLITICAL IDIOTS IN WASHINGTON GET IT TOGETHER. I KNOW—— ITS JUST A DREAM.

5. sadie says:

HI, this is the frist time i’ve came to this web site.i liked the idea of being able to have a voice on some topics that concern me, some comments i agreed with, some i did’nt, some were sad, some made me laught, some made me mad ! Thanks for a injoyable evening .

6. Anonymous says:

Fine.so you don’t like the idea of a stimulus check.Fair enough,you are entitled to your opinion. But to say that everyone who needs a little assistance is just lazy and unwilling to work…
    My dad worked as many hours as he could and we still had plenty of times when there was nothing to eat. To assume that the poor are all just lazy is ignorant. It is VERY hard to get to the top, or even the middle,without any advantages. And even harder if you find yourself to be unlucky,to be a single parent, or a pregnant teenager. Some people don’t have the advantage of a buffer when something goes wrong.
    Yes,there should be limits.The government should not have to support you and your offspring for the rest of your lives.
    Maybe you should learn what it’s like to be in that situation before you go passing judgement.

• Girl says:

I love what you have said. Nicely put. The rich are assholes and will continue to be assholes. What can ya do right?

• Elmore says:

I don’t remember who said that the unemployed were lazy, but just so everyone knows, I was in the military for 11 months, injured in Iraq and discharged. My girlfriend is on disability and attending school. All I do with my time during the day, and I mean ALL is look for a job. And sometimes I’ll be on foot due to lack of gas but I’m still out looking. So I don’t appreciate being called lazy.

7. Michelle says:

I SURE AM GLAD SOMEBODY UP IN THAT WHITEHOUSE IS GOING TO HAVE A GOOD CHRISTMAS THIS YEAR. CAUSE IT SURE ISN’T GOING TO BE MY FAMILY. YOU PEOPLE DONT CARE ABOUT HELPING THE MIDDLE CLASS OR THE POOR PEOPLE OUT IN THIS COUNTRY. YOU SAY THIS AND YOU SAY THAT YOU CAN SAY ANYTHING YOU LIKE, BUT SAYING AND DOING ARE 2 DIFFERENT THINGS. WHY DONT YOU DO WHAT YOU SAY YOUR GOING TO DO, AND QUIT FOOLING WITH ALL OUR LIVES. BUT FROM ME AND MY FAMILY YOUR NOT FOOLING ANYONE. WE KNOW WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT…………….POLITICIAN!!!!!!!!! THE MORE YOU THINK OF POLITICIAN THE WORSE ITS GOING TO GET. AND BELEIVE YOU ME. IT CAN GET WORSE!!!!!!!<<<<<<<<

• ashley says:

seriously, there are billions of people in this world. Everyone is looking for a handout, get off your asses and do things for yourself. Go to toys for tots or a food bank if you have nothing for xmas. The sad part is there is some help out there but your waiting for it to be given to you. Give the guy a chance. Im sure everyone would be bashing you if you were president and u wudnt like it very much. Get over it!

• teenagersperspective says:

u seem very angry….

8. People Have No Compassion says:

People, watch this movie.. there is movie 1 and 2 and there documentaries and can be watched on your pc.
    You will see the truth in these movies about the bushs and much more. Were all in for a rude awakening!! IT’S ALREADY CHANGED MY VIEWS

9. tameka says:

I hope there is a second round of stimulus checks. the first one helped me alot. At least I was able to catch up on a few bills. By it being Christmas time it would HELP alot!!!

10. Cheyenne22 says:

I would like to know if there are certain requirements to recieving debt relief for student loans. I mean the last time the checks were sent out I didnt even recieve one and the one my mom got was just 300.00 which didn’t even put a dent in our bills it was more like a scratch. I really hope the economy improves and more jobs become available. I mean its crazy to see how many people are suffering these days while “celebrities” are still living it up lavishly and movies are still being made and cds sold. Shouldn’t some of those millions of dollars be put to better use than the entertainment industries? And for those trying to blame Obama for this crisis its time to grow up stop being sore losers. he is tryin to fix this broken country which is more than what can be said about you. Maybe when you are out of a job and living on the street, I hope u don’t ask for help. you see its easy to pass judgment on things u obviously have no knowledge about. This country is headed for another depression unless something is done and people become more responsible especially those in charge of the economy. For the genius that hired the head of AIG you should be fired and sent to Alcatraz for your stupidity along with the morons responsible. With great power comes even greater responsibilities. Thinking is always best before acting. While I admit Obama is not going to be able to do all he promised, cause lets face it things are not that simple, but i do have faith that he can make a difference and in time come what may change is GOING to HAPPEN!!

11. Chris says:

My husband has worked with many Mexicans illegal & legal. They were paid the same wages as he and everyone else. So there may be some working cheap but not as many as you may think! And there are plenty of lazy ones. My husband would be put in charge when the boss was away and a few of them tried to gang up on him, threatened him and also stole his jack and spare tire out of his truck. The reason for this was because he is a hard worker and they told him he made them look bad when he put out the better work in less time. Many of them are young and disrespectful We are in our mid 40′s, Ifor one work as a cook in a restaurant. I work just as hard and in most cases harder than alot of people half my age. So say what you want about how great immigrants are but until you have worked with them U DON’T KNOW!!!! They can all go home as far as we are concerned. We know of one who saved some of his money, borrowed a trailer & $1500.00 from his boss -went back to Mexico, bought a business and never returned the trailer or repaid the 1500.00!!! So I personally don’t think they are a great assest to our country!!! I’m sure they are like any other race some good some bad because I actually have one in my family wonderful person!! This person was born an american citizen. And again awonderful person!!! But the illegals and the ones with green cards could atleast be nice and respectful while in another country taking jobs THAT YES some of us hard working Americans are doing and willing to do! And by the way my hard workin husband hasn’t had work for 4 out of the last 6 weeks! And my hours have been cut along with everyone else at work! But he’s out there every day trying to find work, yard work, cleaning gutters, putiing in applications. There,s nothing out there in our region!

12. CONNIE says:

My husband and I are over 50 . Both of us have worked in the past, but now we have health issues that keep us from working and we have to rely on SSI for income now which is just a little over $600 per month. We sure could use the money from a stimulus check but people who get SSi aren’t eligible. I think everyone should get these checks. The goverment has bailed out banks and now auto makers so why not the low income and poor people of America.

13. People Have No Compassion says:

Again, watch this movie and it will show you why they want the poor to be poor and keep the american people in fear with all this terrorist BS.

14. Jeni says:

It’s scary how uneducated and stupid the majority of American people are.
    What do you people that are whining about the war and Bush think will happen if we pull our troops out? Do you think we will make a point to the terrorists. You bet we will. The point will go something like this “we don’t follow through when things get tough so go ahead and bomb us some more we might attempt to find you for a while, but don’t worry we will eventually give up” . And by the way aiding the middle east eventually aids us when we can stop sending them money because they can support themselves. I agree that we shouldn’t be sending our money over seas, however it’s inevitable. I’m pretty sure that all of you were all in support of Bush and HIS war when our Twin Towers fell to ground. But now when times are tough here you all want to back out and run with your tail between your legs. Why don’t you go live somewhere in the middle east for a week and then decide. As far as welfare it should only last 3 years tops! People need help at times. My husband is out of work, and I’m very grateful for the assistance I am currently receiving. But for those that breed for a raise every other year so they can sit on their ass and watch their big screen TV on their satellite while drinking beer and smoking crack, cigarettes whatever 3 years should definitely be the cap. They have the same opportunity to attend college as everyone else. In fact if your a minority you have don’t have to pay for your education. However if you just a regular American made white male like my husband you don’t qualify for shit. Yea all the Mexicans can go back to their own country instead of changing ours. I’m pretty sure we didn’t give language options on everything from paying a bill over the phone to filling out a welfare application to all the other immigrants so what the hell makes the Mexicans so freakin special. Could it be the fact that they are flooding in by the thousands and all we do is sit on our ass and bitch on sites like this. Why are Americans so willingly giving up their rights and freedoms and beliefs. Has anyone on here looked at any of Obama’s real plans. Do any of you have any idea the American he has pictured for us. I don’t want my child to serve in any civilian security force do you? I don’t think the rich should have to give to the poor simply because the poor are too stupid to obtain an education or are not motivated enough to do what it takes to get to the top. If you do a little research you will find that most of the extremely rich were born poor not with a silver spoon in their mouths. They had the ambition, the drive, and the desire to get to the top. Why the hell should they have to share that with you if they don’t want to. They donate enough to charities and fundraisers. If you want a piece of the wealth pie figure out how to get it instead of taxing, lawsuits, fraud etc. Why do you think so many companies and rich take their funds out of the country? Because of people like Obama who want to redistribute their wealth. I don’t blame them!

• Cheyenne22 says:

Wow Jeni u seem to know alot about the world and the way things are. Funny you should mention Mexicans. The thing is they come to this country for a better life and the opportunity to gain knowledge to bring back to their country and try to make it better. Fyi the Mexicans as u call them lived in most of the southern states before they were killed and driven out. Maybe u should read your history better. Unless you have walked in the shoes of the poor u can’t sit there and pass judgment on them. People are not poor by choice, its circumstances that causes it to happen. Secondly there are alot of Americans as u say sit on their asses and do nothin except killing, stealing,and abusing people and forming street gangs.People say the mexicans are stealing all the jobs, how many white janitors do u see at the malls, hotels, grocery stores and hospitals? FYI this is a capitalist country, the main point is exploiting the poor so the rich can stay rich. yeah rich people donate to charities but how many do it for a tax write off instead of doing it as a heartfelt gesture to help others? You talk about the war but you have no idea what is really going on in Iraq. Nobody has the right to play God. If the situation was reversed how would you feel? Have u lost anyone in the war? What about the twin towers? You can’t understand someone’s path unless u walk in their shoes. The poor don’t deserve to be poor. There is enough wealth in this country not to mention the world for that. You say your husband is out of a job and u r recieving aid, what makes you more deserving than someone else? Why is your situation the exception? Did you know that the six riches people in the US, their wealth is the equivalent of fifty countries? SIX PEOPLE!!! Look at celebrities like Paris Hilton what has she done for society? Party and make shows like my BFF? Has she ever worked hard for anything a day in her life? how many rich people are in rehab, been arrested,or just living it up wasting away their wealth partying and drinking it up? Have u ever been poor? How do u think rich people make their money? Not all oof them are born into money, we the less fortunate foolishly waste our money buying their merchandise like cell phones, big screen tv, cars, movies, cds, clothes and all for the sake of someone’s name or label.Life is hard for alot of people and for some no matter how hard they work and try there are people like you that try to cut them down.

• Steven says:

First of all. You need to step back an think of what your saying. Your stupid ass is saying the poor people are poor,because they’re not trying to go get a degree and do better for them self. While the whole time your talking about the poor you get goverment assistance with your racis ass.Probaly don’t have a job.

• luis says:

Mmmmm I know what are you going to say when you read my comment and yes you are right I don’t speak English perfect and so too many North American either. Dear Ms Jeani I hope you have time to read history when you talk about americans? so your last name is green arrow? if the answer is yes you are a real american, or check into your family tree, and you will see that your family emigrate to North America too. Sorry to hear about education I am considered minority and I am still paying for my student loans, so welcome to the party. The solution is for the government to end welfare, to tax wall street, to put the brakes on China imports, to stop private wars and not to believe that USA is the cop of the world and follow their best line Mind your own business. You talking about a president that not even had take the seat, but looks like you are so happy with 8 yeas with an idiot that not even can read, check for videos on youtube and get informed, any way we are in deep &^%&&& and it will be for long time.

• TheTruth says:

Jeni-

Where is the line for free tuition? Evidently, you haven’t done your homework. I am a minority, and I paid for school. I’ve never been on welfare, smoked crack or been on welfare. However, I have enjoyed a beer while sitting on my couch in front of my big screen, which I paid for. Also, people don’t breed, they give birth. I work hard for mines everyday. The rich should be taxed according to what they make. I am so what makes them so different? What makes a rich person exempt from paying their fair share? If I have to pay, why shouldn’t they? Just because they are rich? The fact of the matter is the rich make their money off of everyday hardworking people. As far as the twin towers, I was in New York (born and raised) when it happened and had friends that died there. Yes, the majority of us were ready for war. But I’m sorry, the weapons of mass destruction never turned up, Osama has not been found, and oil was at an all time high. Oh, wait, how can I forget the thousands of soldiers that have died on a wild goose chase? I for one am grateful we finally have someone in office that wants the rich to pay like they weigh, and wants America is be accountable for its actions while simultaneously exuding excellence. You seem very uh…patriotic… so just get over it. YOU HAVE A BLACK PRESIDENT, and even though you don’t like him (which you don’t have to or any minority for that matter), he will still fight for you simply because you are not only an American, but a poor one. If you don’t like it, you could always leave and come back in 8 years.

• Emerson says:

Wow…Jenni. Ignorance at its finest. Oh and did I mention Bigotry as well. You can always send that check you are earning from the government back and get some motivation and determination to become that rich American you say is so easy to become. Blah blah blah…

• ken says:

why are we at war with Iraq anyway bin laden isn’t there,Why did bush forget all about him and go after Iraq.Oil?,Saving face for his daddy?Why did big daddy bush start a war with Iraq?There were no terrorist attacks then.I certainly dont think poor people are poor because there stupid, were just honest and have to much of a conscience to lie,cheat,steal,and kill our way to the top.Better stock up on food it’s hasn’t even begun to get bad yet.

15. People Have No Compassion says:

Wow, jeni you suprise me with your intelligence. Umm the rich have ambitions? ummm ever heard of having strings, pull ect? hmmm for instance.. the typical work place, you tell me were a top position is just handed down to anyone who is a hard worker, always showed up for work when there suppose to and always on time? NEVER! in my years. There’s something called favoritism ie” friends, family ect that those jobs are ever handed down to, same shit as rising to power in goverment.. who can give more clout so don’t even come with that crap and people just sit on there ass’es. Opportunity isn’t just handed down to the well deserved, same as in politics, it’s who you know and how much money you have. America isn’t a land of opportunity anymore so don’t go knocking people bcoz of there status. Rich people buy there way to the top and to start all it takes is who you know, if it were that simple as you say it is then there would be plenty of people with money in there pocket. Maybe you need alittle education and i will offer you a free movie to watch, maybe you will learn something.. here it is and watchable on ur pc. click the link below, you will come back here much more smarter!

16. Tina says:

Hi this is the first time I have been on this site and some have good opions while others well….everyone has them. The stimulas check was good and another would be nice but.. we cant just expect one. One person said it is all about the middle class and helping them well…we work as hard as the upper and lower class and we are the ones taking the rap if we hit a hard spot we cant get gov. help because we have a 401k or a newer car. Some getting gov. assistance eat better then we do and get to pay their bills and stay at home and make sure their house stays clean, I come home after work and cook and clean. The upper class dont have to worry about hoping they can afford food after we have gas in the car for work next week. We have been smart and saw a few years back that things where getting rough and started planning ahead, trying to pay off bills, stocking up food, and buying only what is needed, and thank god we did, times are only getting harder and people need to stop and realize it and do something about it now before it gets worse, it can be done, I am proof.

17. William Mastaw says:

What happen to the people who is on sec.8 and disability and cant work,why arent we included in package?

• TJS says:

Did you file a tax return?I have an aunt and an uncle who are both on disability and they each recieved a stimulus check.They told me all they had to do was file and they received 300 instead of the 600 regular amount.

• life goes on says:

Well the government looks at it like you are already getting tax payers money and you arent getting anymore,and yes obama will make a small difference Im glad he is going in clintons direction god knows if he went with bush we would all be screwed bush is looking out for bush that is why the gas is going back up because he owns oil and why is diseal higher than gas it is a bi product off of gas come on truckers pull them over for a couple of days and watch the world panic, in other words give obama a shot even though clinton was a skirt chaser he got the job done!!!!!!!!

• PeopleHaveNoCompassion says:

Giving clinton a shot was a mistake, look what she has already done to my great state of NY! its screwed up more over than it ever was. Now paterson wants to mess with the senneca indians, hope the indians give them one hell of a showdown this time, burning tires and shutting down the nys thruway is gonna be a minor thing compared to wut might happen this time. Assholes in albany are looking for ways to line there pockets then when its time to take care of the state it puts us in a deficit, so let all the NYkers keep paying for it. I think enough is enough, pretty soon no one will be living in western ny but the elected officials, now let them pay the budget out of there pockets.

• Michelle says:

And with Clinton being secetary of state shes going to give her opinion about everything. Im afraid we will wind up being in a war!!!!!!
            There is no telling what she has in mind.

• it doesn't matter says:

hey. give obama a chance, the best thing we can do is to do are best as an individual. About the second stimulus check? I hope all of us whose paying taxes should get it because we work hard for ourselves and for our family.

18. trish says:

I have to say I have sit here and read almost all these comments. It sounds as if you guys actually have nothing else to do but bitch about this country. Whether you are an american or not, if you don’t like it…leave. Maybe that too will help make this place better. Don’t bother replying to me cause I have no idea how I found this website other than it is late and I can’t sleep. And I probably won’t answer cause I have better things to do. LOL-and I’m sitting here typing this now. You guys need a hobby or a good book.
    How ’bout reading that book that the “poor” guy Obama wrote. Guess what, I am prior Navy and until you serve; you have no right to voice your opinion. And by the way, I am a die hare republican and I voted democrat. How’s that? Bush sucked and I don’t think we needed any more of that. Hey, where’s that self made billionaire that ran several years ago?? what was his name?? little short guy?? the republicand and the democrats have been running this country for how long?? and look where we are. How old are you kids? ever been through a recession or a depression? i don’t think you would like it. research that instead of voicing opinions on things that you guys don’t really know about. do some research on the things that you think you know about. be productive. now i’m bored..sleepy..going back to bed…i have to work. Monday – paid holiday until Monday..Nice. Night Night

• People Have No Compassion says:

LMAO!!! Trish, sounds like while other navy crewmen were busy keeping the ship maintained you were off sneaking downstairs in the arms storage room and huffing too much gunpowder. Your another one who has no clue what were talking about, wake up! THE TOPIC IS ABOUT STIMULUS CHECKS, its people like us that upset most of us here. Did ya ask santa for a new brain?

Merry xmas

• Sher says:

Well, as Trish says, she will not read this cause she says she is not coming back to this site…..and says that she does not know how she found it other than she could not sleep….and she says we all must not have anything else to do….Tables turned…..She must not have anything better to do then if she found this site and also maybe she is completely protected in her own little fantasy world and that is why she feels she has nothing to gripe about in the U.S. Sad to say but we all have something to “bitch” about. It is reality.

19. Wayne Campau says:

I was looking forward to the stimulus check that B. Obama had promised! It would have gone a long way clearing up my doctor bills so that I would have money left out of my weekly check to spend on non-essentials.

20. People Have No Compassion says:

Yeh well guess what, another lier politician gone wild, hey we should make one of them gone wild movies EXCEPT OF THE PRESIDENT’S lmao… looks like he found a loophole not a give us a stimulus check, instead were getting tax cuts in wich a WHOPPING 8.00 LESS a week will be JUST not taken out my federal taxes weekly for the duration of 09.. worse than what bush had done wow! at least bush gave us the money, obama’s plan were just not gonna pay a tiny, itty, bitty, little portion of federal taxes. I DON’T SEE HOW THAT’S SUPPOSE TO STIMULATE THE ECONOMY.
    I sure had my hopes up for him, looks like just another BS politician. That’s 3 lies already, and he hasn’t even taken office yet” boy were in for another ride. I bet this time instead of presidency making money off a war this time, there gonna make money off the stimulus package DEAL almost 1 trillion that’s gonna be passed in january, alotta pockets are gonna get filled, just not the people in desperate need!. MARK MY WORDS! BUSH HAD THE PRIVATE CONTRACTORS IN IRAQ EATING AWAY AT THE FUNDS FOR THE WAR, OBAMA’S GONNA HAVE SOME SORT OF PRIVATE CONTRACTORS THAT WILL EAT AWAY AT THE STIMULUS BILL.

21. karen says:

the government could have gave the people more money to pay their bills instead of bailing of the banks we wouldn’t be in this mess to begin with. My husband was denied unemployment because he didn’t appeal in a timely manner. we had no address our well went dry and had to move. we have no home and do you think anyone cares that would be a big fat no.

22. hosed says:

wow should we get another check ? why not we give so much as it is each week from our checks why not . Nothing else seems to be working . I have many friends in other countries and i have to laugh when they refer to us as the land of the free and land of oppertunity. I tell them it has become the land getting hosed every time you turn around anymore i encourage no one to migrate here to the GREAT USA i feel anymore we all are exspected to bend over and take one for the team , send out the checks at least then they can blame it on us if it dont work lol

23. Anonymous says:

Another stimulus check wil not boost the economy. Though I would not complain with the extra cash….who would. It doesnt help us to get 600. What they should have done instead of giving giving giving to the multi billion dollar banks and companies to free up credit when none of the amercian people are spending anyway is take that 700 billion and give it to the people. I dont know the exact math but that could come out to like 20000 a person. Tell me you wouldnt be happy with an extra 20 grand in the bank. Hey by the way notice i said in the bank. WOW that means there will be money being put in banks…meaning banks have money to free up credit. AND OH MY GOD….people actually have money to buy things that would require credit. LIke financing that new TV or what have you. And by the way I agree with Jenni. There should be a cap on well fare. And before you think Im going racial I do know there are more white people then blacks on wellfare…..but they should have to get up and get a job like everyone else. AND I DONT BLAME RICH PEOPLE FOR BEING RICH. Dont tell me if you had the chance to become “even more” rich and famous over a sex tape you wouldnt. Please…..If you were rich you would all be the same. For those that beg give give give or “we owe you” ask others that make money why they arnt complaining. Cause they got off there butts and did something.

24. anti3387 says:

Fine put a cap on well fare– but is there really any jobs out there for people to take NOOOO!!! And if you put 20000 in the bank they would take it if you owed yea you are getting your bill paid but maybe you could have used a more dependable car to get you to that job thats 50 miles away. Think about that

25. Concerned American says:

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! NICE TO KNOW THAT THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT ARE CONCERNED ABOUT THE POOR AND NOT ABOUT THEMSELVES!!! LOL!!IM FOR ANYTHING AND ANYONE THAT CAN TRY TO CHANGE THIS COUNTRY. BUT AS FOR THE ‘PEOPLE’ THAT SHOULD GO BACK TO WHERE THEY COME FROM! WELL THAT WOULD MEAN THAT THIS COUNTRY WOULD NOT BE THE LAND OF THE FREE BUT THE LAND OF RACISISM!! RIGHT?? I FOR ONE LOVE THIS COUNTRY THAT MY ANCESTERS LOVED AND STILL DO! IM AMERICAN INDIAN (CHEREKEE) AND MY ANCESTERS WERE HERE BEFORE ANYONE ELSE WAS BUT YOU WOULD NEVER HEAR ME SCREME ‘GO BACK TO YOUR OWN COUNTRIES BECAUSE WE ALL BELONG HERE IN THIS COUNTRY. THIS IS GODS WORLD NOT OURS. NOW AS FOR THIS STIMULAS CHECK THAT WE ARE SUPPOSE TO GET. WELL I HOPE AND PRAY THAT IT HAPPENS FOR EVERYONE. WE ALL NEED IT. WE NEED TO ALL STOP THROWING A FIT AND COME TOGETHER AS ONE. AS FOR THE RICH. WELL, THEY CANT TAKE IT WITH THEM WHEN THEY DIE. SO LET THEM KEEP THEY’RE SO CALLED MONEY. THE POOR DONT NEED IT. WE HAVE SURVIVED A LONG TIME ON STRUGGLE. I KNOW I AM POOR. IM DISABLED WITH CANCER AND A LOT OF OTHER THINGS. THIS IS NOT SAID FOR PITY FOR I WOULD NEVER ASK. IM ON SSI AND WOULD WHETHER WORK IF I COULD. A LITTLE 600 CHECK IS NOTHING. I AM NOT AGAINST THIS SOON TO BE PRESIDENT. I DONT WANT ANOTHER DEPRESSION THAT MY GRANDMOTHER TALKED ABOUT WHEN I WAS A KID. I FOR ONE WANT TO GIVE OBAMA A CHANCE. MAYBE HE CAN CHANGE AMERICA AND PUT THE USA BACK TO THE LAND OF THE OPPORTUNITY AND FREE. SO PLEASE EVERYONE STOP COMPLAINING. STOP AND THINK BEFORE EXPRESSING YOUR COMMENTS. WE ALL ARE ON THIS BIG ROLLER COASTER AND LIKE IT OR NOT WE ARE FOR ONE HECK OF A RIDE. SO GET READY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!