Business, Credit
comments

Signing Up For A Discover Business Card

Now that the site generates some income, I have a bona fide “business” and that calls for a business card! My choice right now is the Discover Business card because it offers a 0% Intro APR on purchases for 12 months, which means I can put my MBA classes on it and get 0% for a little while (too bad I just paid for some classes, but there’s always next semester). There, unfortunately, isn’t a 0% balance transfer offer like many other Discover cards but 0% on purchases for 12 months is still a nice perk, especially if you’re just starting a new business.

A few other perks are that I can get 5% cash back on office supplies, 2% on gas (but I’ll be using a Citi Driver’s Edge card for gasoline), and 1% for everything else.

Why would I get a business card when I could just buy stuff with my personal credit card? One reason is that the reporting functionality offered by Discover looks pretty comprehensive and could be valuable come tax time. Secondly, having a “business” credit gives me a little more credence when it comes to tax time because anything that makes you look like you have a business will help. Lastly, getting business credit is difficult and so the earlier I try, the better.

Anyone have any advice about business credit cards or about this Discover card?

6 Responses to “Signing Up For A Discover Business Card”

1. Golbguru says:

When I signed up for Citi Professional Card…I faintly remember reading something about different set of “rights” than a personal card….something to that effect. There might be something similar for your Discover.

So check your card’s fine print in that department.

2. ricemutt says:

There’s some new business card from Amex called SimpleCash that also looks pretty appealing, but in a different way. 5% back on lots of things, 1% back on the rest, plus other perks. Don’t think my site yet qualifies as a “business” though, unfortunately :)

3. Sun says:

I don’t know how many Discover cards you have already or whether Business card is different from regular personal cards, but last time when I tried to get my third Discover card, I only got $250 credit limit! The reason, according to the CSR, was the maximum number of Discover cards I can have is 3 with combined limit no more than $15000 (?) and since I already have two with $14000+ limit, they can only give me the difference of $250 for the new card, unless I close one of them. I eventually closed the second old card and transfer the credit limit to the new card.

4. CK says:

Jimbo-
    Are you incorporating or anything of the like?

-CK

5. jim says:

I was looking into LLC’ing it, I have an EIN already though I don’t use it.

6. Doug says:

Clark Howard commented recently that a lot of Business Credit Cards don’t carry the fraud protection that personal credit cards do. Read that fine print!!