Career
comments

Six Figure Jobs: Stunt Driver

CNN Money started a great series called “Six Figure Series” where they highlight some jobs that will pay you big bucks. One of my favorites on the list is that of a stunt driver. You’ll need “smarts, technical skills and a healthy respect for danger” if you want to reel in a “generous six-figure living” for driving full-time on commercials, television shows and big time movies. They warn that professional drivers expect plenty of pain, especially if you’ve seen any car chase scenes in movies lately.

You better get cracking too because you’ll need about five years to get a name for yourself (as being an efficient, safe, and competent driver), which you need before you’re 30 if you want a shot at being a double in a movie. The 30s, they claim, are going to be your peak years and in your 40s and 50s you’ll move into being a coordinator or second-unit director – since you’ll be over the hill by then.

Not everything is rough and tumble, Dukes of Hazzard style, driving. You’ll need to prove precision and timing since many jobs will be like driving a Benz at 140 mph around hairpin turns on the edge of a cliff (things seem to move slower on film).

Working in formation with other cars is also part of the job. In one commercial, Kerns’ car had to “dance” in a ballroom with five other cars.

What can you hope to earn if you’re a top 20%? Upwards of $300,000.

via CNN Money.

6 Responses to “Six Figure Jobs: Stunt Driver”

1. FMF says:

Not bad — $300k. But I’m already “over-the-hill”. You can still make it — if you hurry! ;-)

• RickeyLee says:

I’ve been a Stunt Driver for the past 25 years..looking for local work in the Colorado area
      Thanks
      RickeyLee

• Joshua says:

Hey Rickey,

I had a question for you? How hard is it to get a job being a stunt driver? Say you go to school, get all the top stuff etc. Once you come out, is it easy to find a job? I want to be a stunt driver but everyone tells me it’s impossible to every get a job and you’ll be living on the streets.

So I guess, how easy is it to become a stunt driver and to find work?

Thanks, Joshus

2. Will Kirby says:

This is one of those jobs that never really occured to me when I was sitting in undergrad picking my career path. Seriously, if I could turn the clock back five years this would be awfully tempting! It seems really tempting when I know for about three or four hours this evening i’ll be stuck in the law library!

3. jim says:

Yeah, a stunt driver would be an awesome job… a lawyer gets a decent wage too from what I hear. :)

4. Patrick Morris says:

I’m actually planning on going to stunt driving school sometime in the near future. I’m only 19 at the moment and I work as a dispatch at the AACPD in maryland for some money untill I can make enough to go out to the coast. All my buds said this would be perfect for me. Hope Its true! Any tips?!?