Frugal Living
comments

Six Ways to Get Green & Gorgeous For Under $20

Applying MascaraGrowing up, my mother was pretty strict when it came to wearing makeup. In fact, I was not allowed to wear even something as benign as lip gloss until I was 15 years old. All the while, my girlfriends were glossing, blushing and getting made up in NYC style. So naturally, by the time I was 14, I began wearing it on the sly. Having an older sister, it wasn’t that difficult to find spare eye shadow or lipstick around the house. In the dim lighting of the high school girl’s bathroom I applied the forbidden fruit. Looking back, I can thank my mom for keeping me from harming myself with unnecessary chemicals even earlier than I did.

I’ve learned a lot since then. I no longer have to sneak around to apply my eye-shadow or blush. Instead, I make sure to go organic every step of the way and avoid ingredients which have been proven to be bad for our skin and our health. Here are a few finds that won’t hurt your wallet and help you turn your makeup bag green, one step at a time.

1. Physicians Formula Organic Wear – Bronzer

This is a 100% Natural Origin Bronzer that retails for around $13.95. It’s a lightweight liquid bronzer that contains organic fruit water, jojoba seed oil, sunflower seed oil, avocado oil, and shea butter.

• Why it’s eco friendly: 100% certified organic content, no parabens, no synthetic preservatives, no GMO’s, no animal cruelty
  • Where to buy it: A pharmacy chain near you should carry this line.

2. ecoTOOLS 5 – Piece Brush Set

ecoTOOLS sells earth-friendly beauty products and they have a 5-Piece Brush Set that includes a mineral powder brush, a concealer brush, eye shading brush, and baby kabuki in a hemp linen & cotton cosmetic bag for $11.99.

• Why it’s eco friendly: Made from highly sustainable bamboo, animal free, recycled aluminum.
  • Where to buy it: Drugstore.com, Walgreens.com and other pharmacy chains.

3. Zoya Nail Polish

Zoya Nail Polish retails for around $6.00.

• Why it’s eco friendly: No dibutyl phthalate, No toluene, No formaldehyde
  • Where to Buy it: FutureNatural.com

4. Dr. Bronners Organic Lotions

Dr. Bronners sells an entire line of organic personal care products, with their organic lotions retailing around $9.99 a bottle.

• Why it’s eco friendly: Certified USDA Organic, free of petrochemically modified ingredients and preservatives.
  • Where to buy it: DrBronners.com and natural food stores near you.

5. Juice Beauty Lip Trio with SPF8 – $15.00

Juice Beauty also offers organic personal care products including great lip care moisturizers that combine organic ingredients with SPF protection. The trio-pack retails for around $15.

• Why it’s eco friendly: 100% recycled packaging, never tested on animals, up to 95% certified organic content, NO parabens, pesticides, petroleum, propylene or butylene glycol, sodium lauryl sulfates, no artificial dyes or synthetic fragrances and no phthalates.
  • Where to buy it: Beautorium.com

6. Physician’s Formula Organic Wear – Mascara

Physician’s Formula makes another appearance on the list for the mascara product, 100% Natural Origin Mascara. It retails for around $9.95.

• Why it’s eco friendly: 100% Recyclable Eco-Brush, 100% Free of Harsh Chemicals, Synthetic Preservatives, Parabens, Clumping, Smudging, Flaking, Fibers & Dyes.
  • Where to buy it: A pharmacy chain near you should carry this line.

This is just a small list of great products available today to help you go organic. If you are wondering how your current products stack up…or if you are considering an organic product that is not on this list, check out CosmeticDatabase.com where you can search the product safety score based on product OR ingredient.

Visit me at theEcoDiva.blogspot.com for daily reviews and interviews on Ethical Luxury and turning your world green, one step at a time.

(Photo: sd-6)

17 Responses to “Six Ways to Get Green & Gorgeous For Under $20”

1. Caitlin says:

Does having no “Clumping, Smudging, Flaking, Fibers & Dyes” really fall in the eco-friendly category these days?

• ecodiva says:

Caitlin, That’s a great question. My feeling on makeup is that it is ultimately in the NEED category, and when push comes to shove…being sustainable and lean and green does not include a beautiful shade of blush. But, if you are among the many women who love a bit of beauty routine (even while gardening), then choosing organics and leaving out the toxins and dyes is still the best choice. This goes for anything that you put on your body.

Thanks so much for your comment.
      EcoDiva

• Caitlin says:

The part about dyes makes sense. I buy dye-free items when possible, though most of my makeup is mineral-based these days. :)

I was mainly just saying that I don’t think a mascara can claim that not clumping, flaking, or smudging makes it eco-friendly. Those things don’t really have anything to do with being eco-friendly.

2. ecodiva says:

That’s true…these are not the first words that come to mind ;)

Do you have any eco friendly favorites? I love learning about what others have discovered.

3. Stella says:

I like Physician’s Formula Organic Wear tinted moisturizer. Their mascara, however, was underwhelming. I’ve heard good things about Kiehl’s new mineral mascara. Has anyone tried it?

• Elena says:

Hi Stella, I haven’t tried this yet. It sounds like it has a clean list of ingredients. I’ll have to try it for myself.

I really liked the Physicians Mascara, but like any product, it won’t be a great fit for everyone.

4. Kelly says:

My new favorite products are made by Yes to Carrots. I found them at Target. They are super affordable and I LOVE the quality.
    Best thing I tried so far was the exfoliating scrub.

5. Paige says:

I like Origins products. They are expensive, but they work great and are eco-friendly. Also, you can take your empty cosmetic containers to any Origins counter and they will recycle them or dispose of them properly if they can’t be recycled. They take any and all brands for that program. Check out their website for more info.

• Jaime says:

I also would like to add that Origins is the First high performance skin care line to be USDA certified organic, which means the percentage of organic ingredients is around 95% or more. I would be very wary of products that claim organic status and are cheap, there is a huge process to being organic. Also Origins make up is maybe $5-6 more than drugstore brands, it is the skin care that is a little pricey, but if you add in recycling the containers and the complimentary facials, and makeup application (things you don’t get at Walmart), you are really making out. A pamper session for me and the environment…can’t beat it :)

6. Michelle says:

I found NUDE which supposedly made by Bono’s wife? Anyway the lipbalm (pot style) is very lush and smells pure!

• Elena says:

This is another one on my list to try. I’ve also heard great things about them but have yet to see a complete ingredient list.

7. saladdin says:

i know this sounds like a cliche but to most guys you look prettier without it. just saying.

saladdin

8. Patrick says:

Many popular cosmetic products contain so many chemicals that are unnecessary and could be causing harm to our bodies. It makes a lot of sense to use more natural ingredients in something your are going to be applying to your body on a regular basis.

9. condo blues says:

I like to make my own sugar scrubs. That way I know exactly what’s in it.

10. StephaniePTY says:

Thanks ecodiva! I’ve been looking at all the different natural makeup products lately, and I’ve been feeling very overwhelmed. I’m sort of an eternal makeup “noob” (my mother wore very little and my older sisters were out of the house by the time I became a teenager), and I have trouble figuring out who’s “eco” claims to believe. Recommendations are a good starting point for me ;)

I’ve seen both ecoTOOLS and the Physician’s Formula products at Wegmans, as well as some of the other stuff in their natural foods section. Will have to write these products down and check it out!

• Elena says:

Hi Stephanie,

Thanks so much for your comment. It can absolutely be overwhelming to wade through all the product choices and figure out which are natural, organic etc. One resource that I LOVE and always recommend it CosmeticsDatabase.com. You can search their site by ingredient and by product brand name. They rate everything on a scale of 1-10 based on toxic ingredients.

CHeck them out whenever you are planning on trying something new. AND READ LABELS!! I’ll have a list of top ingredients to avoid coming soon.

Best,
      EcoDiva

11. I love Zoya polish. They always have really great deals to make it even cheaper.