Cars
comments

Skip Fuel Saving Gimmicks, Alter Your Driving

Consumer Reports loves to find gas saving gadgets and gizmos, put them through the ringer, and report, almost never surprisingly, that it fails to increase miles per gallon fuel efficiency of a car. Then, add a little humor from the fine folks at The Consumerist and you have a thoroughly entertaining post about how there’s no possible way a particular gadget could’ve saved you gas.

Their latest target is the Fuel Doctor FD-47 and right off the start it’s obvious this thing can’t work. But, as P.T. Barnum once celebrated, there’s a sucker born every minute.

It’s almost comedic. OK wait, it is comedic.

If you want to actually save gasoline, learn how to drive more efficiently with some tips from hypermilers.

17 Responses to “Skip Fuel Saving Gimmicks, Alter Your Driving”

1. Then there are also lots of rebate cards that offer 5% back on gas. Plus, Kroger has 10 cents off per gallon for shopping at their store. When you combine those, they make for a significant reduction in fuel cost.

• jsbrendog says:

so does not driving like a maniac, not accelerating quickly or braking like a madman….you know lol, driving like a normal human being. when coupled with money saving techniques it can be one hell of a tag team

2. Matt K says:

house power. lovely…

3. David C says:

I suspect the Fuel Doctor did not get his degree from MIT.

4. cubiclegeoff says:

I’m sure we’ll see more gadgets like this as fuel prices rise, or soon as fuel prices are already near $3/gallon.

5. zapeta says:

Wow, I wish I would have invented this! Its amazing what people will buy…

I optimize my gas mileage by keeping my tires properly inflated and by accelerating and driving more slowly.

6. Bey says:

I’d love to save gas by controlling my own driving style, but a bigger factor in my part of the world is that lowliest of civil servants, the traffic engineer. These geniuses use magnetic traffic switches for the signals in areas where they really aren’t pertinent. I constantly see traffic signals turn red to stop two dozen cars on the main drag for one car *approaching* the intersection (not even there yet!) which would have been able to turn right on red in ten more seconds anyway. How many untold gallons of gasoline and man-hours of time are wasted every year because of the traffic gods who no longer have to study traffic patterns and adjust the signals for optimal traffic flow?

• tbork84 says:

You are totally right. Here’s to technology making the world a better place, except when we use it to be lazier.

• cubiclegeoff says:

This is more of a problem of people not knowing what they’re doing when setting up this technology, and the person paying the bill. Some intersections where I live have more than one strip to identify when a car is waiting, and will adjust accordingly. For example, when there is a turning lane with its own signal, the length of the light depends on how many cars are waiting. This can be a huge benefit.

7. Anthony says:

There are the gas-saving, gimmicky products. Then… there are the ones that work. Things like better exhaust systems and better intake systems (than stock) improve airflow and improve gas mileage.

Unfortunately, they don’t come cheap!

I agree with the “alter your driving” mantra. That will give you the most fuel savings.

8. jsbrendog says:

wow. sad thing is people will buy this and then be surprised when it doesn’t work! i lose a little more faith in humanity daily

9. eric says:

Made my day lol

10. Daniel says:

I have started walking, speedwalking and can do my first 5 miles in 11 minutes each… thats 5 miles in 55 minutes.

The pounds have dropped… I now walk to Walmart, and several other places, this has saved me more than 25% on my gas bill…

And as for Dr… Well my doctors office just gave me back my athletic body type rating… priceless at the age of forty nine… and my cholesterol is lower than ever.

My fuel doctor…walking.

• saladdin says:

The irony would be getting hit by a car walking to wal-mart. Not that I am wishing that on you, just my luck would be that way.

saladdin