Shopping
comments

We Can’t All Be Slash: 6 Ways to Sell Your Stuff Online

Famed Guns N’ Roses (and Velvet Revolver) rock guitarist Slash is auctioning off a ton of personal items in March. He is using Julien’s Auctions to sell his stuff, and it is possible to bid online. The sale doesn’t start until March 26, but you can still look through the items owned by this electric guitar virtuoso. Some of the items up for sale include Slash’s Corvette, his lighter collection, guitars (of course), top hats (also of course) and even toy dinosaurs. There is also the opportunity to bid on clothing, including his outfit from the Super Bowl XLV. (Slash’s appearance was arguably the best thing about the Halftime Show.)

While your stuff probably won’t be as cool as Slash’s, it is still possible to make some money selling online. Here are 6 ways to sell your items over the Internet:

1. Craigslist

You probably already know that Craigslist is a great place to sell your items. You can find local people to come pick up your items, providing you with a way to avoid paying shipping costs. Plus when you do sell locally, there’s something to be said for having the cash in your hand before you provide the item.

2. eBay and Other Online Auction Sites

Yes, you can still sell your things on eBay. The nice thing about eBay is that it’s easy to arrange payment if you accept PayPal. It usually makes everyone happy, it’s a simple set up, and there are some protections for buyer and seller built in. There are smaller alternatives to eBay (some of them with lower fees) but when it comes to speed and number of buyers, eBay is king of the mountain.

3. Amazon

Amazon isn’t just know for books anymore. Indeed, there is a fight brewing between Amazon and Wal-Mart, and it appears that Amazon could very well overtake Wal-Mart as the #1 retailer in the world. The cool thing about Amazon is that you can get in on that. You can actually sell your stuff using Amazon, whether it’s used or new.

4. Etsy

If you are into crafts, you can take advantage of web sites like Etsy that help you sell what you make. There are other craft sites, like Handmade Catalog, that provide an easy place for you to sell your stuff.

5. Local Classifieds Online

There are a number of local Classified web sites all over the country. From college campus based sites to online ad sites run by local news media outlets, it is possible to sell your stuff locally. Indeed, KSL, a Salt Lake City, UT based media web site, features one of the best local Classified sites. It’s a great way to sell things fast. Check around locally; you might be surprised at what you can accomplish online.

6. Social Networks

You can also look for buyers via social networking. Put the word out among your friends on Twitter, MySpace, Facebook and other sites. You can also use applications like the Buy.com Garage Sale for Facebook to find potential buyers. A virtual yard sale may not be such a bad idea. You might be able to find someone in your network (or their network) who wants what you’re selling.

Where else can you think of to sell stuff online?

12 Responses to “We Can’t All Be Slash: 6 Ways to Sell Your Stuff Online”

1. zapeta says:

I’ve had luck with Ebay/Half.com. I’ve also sold items to Amazon as trade-ins but never as a marketplace seller. Buy.com also has some kind of marketplace seller program, and I think a lot of people list the stuff that they are selling on Amazon, Buy, and Ebay at the same time to maximize exposure. My local Craigslist isn’t very active so that has been a dud for me.

2. Sonya says:

In the past I’ve used sites like Half.com, swap.com and been sucessful. So its possible to clear away stuff in your house taking up space, and make some cash.

3. KP says:

With spring just around the corner, I’m sure we’ll start seeing some garage sales popping up too. However, selling online gives you a chance to reach more buyers.

4. Craigslist is an awesome place to sell items! My wife and I just moved and sold all of our furniture within one week! And we got quite a lot of cash for it! I have yet to have a bad experience.

5. Strebkr says:

Ebay used to be the place for me to see stuff, but its just gotten too expensive. I think I pay close to 12% now. Craigslist has been great, but it requires a little work to meet up with the other party. I do think social networking could be the future here.

Out of all my friends on FB, I think one of them might be interested in something I am selling.

The local garage sale is awesome too.

• Trish says:

I think you’re right about social networking coming to the forefront in the online classifieds industry. The easiest and most stress free way of getting rid of personal items you don’t need anymore is to ask the people you know if they need them.

Most people think of Facebook when they think of selling to their friends, but my theory is that if there was a specific social platform that just focused on letting people interact with those they know to buy and sell stuff, there would be a much better chance of getting rid of personal items since the people there would be there for the specific purpose of buying/selling personal items.

6. Scott says:

My experience is mostly with Craigslist & very successful too.
    Sold 2 cars, both only 1-3 years old. The second was the fastest ever (I lived in Dallas & happened in 2007.
    Put the add on for Crew-cab Silverado, 10 a.m. Sunday. Had a guy come by within 2 hours for a test drive. 5 minutes into the test drive, another person showed up and my wife called to inform me…I told the guy I had to “cut it short” due to the other “customer”…He said he would buy it right then & cut me a holding check right then. Sold!
    The other was when we moved to Cali, we had to sell a bunch of “crap” and we did that in less than a week!…everything!

7. DJ says:

Definitely just sold a collection of collectible 23 Hess Trucks on Ebay and made a good chunk of money. I got to unload two huge boxes out of the attic and make some nice money on the side. Only problem is that I wished I had sold through craigslist as I could have saved the buyer a bundle through shipping!

8. Caitlin says:

I use ArtFire.com more than Etsy, but it’s more for more serious crafters setting up a shop vs selling a few handmade items (monthly fee on ArtFire vs % of each sale on Etsy – though ArtFire also has a free version).

9. skylog says:

i am more or less and ebay user, although i did use amazon for quite a few media items over the years. i also use several fourms of which i am a member. i have found that in a community of people focused on one topic, you can have great success.

10. scdavid says:

Ebay rocks as well as craigslist.