NEWS
comments

Stamp Price Increase [Jan 22, 2012]

Forever Stamps IncreaseWant to get a 2% return on an investment in just one day?

Buy a Forever Stamp from the Post Office on January 21st, 2012 and mail something on January 22nd (well, on the 23rd because the 22nd is a Sunday). On January 22nd, the post office is set to increase the current stamp price of a first class letter from 44 cents to 45 cents. Also increasing will be the price of mailing a post card, a three cent increase to 32 cents. Letters to Canada and Mexico will now cost 5 cents more to 85 cents. Letters anywhere else outside the United States will see a stamp increase of 7 cents to $1.05 a pop.

Forever Stamps, as you’ll remember, can be used on any first class letters so buying them today means you don’t need to find penny stamps come January 22nd.

(Photo: queen_of_subtle)

52 Responses to “Stamp Price Increase [Jan 22, 2012]”

1. sunshine says:

Wow. Funny how things change in life. I remember back in the day how being a mail carrier was the job to have. If you were lucky enough to pass the test (scoring in the 90%), you were the WAITING LIST. And if you were really lucky you would be hired. It used to the the job of a lifetime. Hmm, right now you probably couldn’t give those jobs away. It’s too bad though. But the USPS did not change with the times. The clerks were notoriously rude, the organization did not see the writng on the wall, and unfortunately, they will one day be like how they say “video killed the radio star”…
    I must say though that most of the carriers are professional and represent the postal service in a good way.. except for my mailman who refuses to wear his glasses and keeps misdelivering my and my neighbors mail. But I dont complain. Would not want the poor old guy to lose his job. Not in these days and times.

2. Jim says:

Why not just make the stamps an even 50 cents and leave us alone for a few years?

3. Flash says:

Yep, that will save you guys. Keep raising the price, less people with mail stuff, deeper in the hole you go. Brilliant thinking.

• Figs says:

Seriously. If you did not promise lifetime pensions and benefits maybe you would not be in this position. I have been a hold out and I still do marketing through postcards and send contracts through the mail. CLEARLY the message sent to me is that I need to stop this non-sense as it will break my bank account. Nice going.

4. Daniel McLarnan says:

I worked at the post office for 25 years. The main problem that is that you CAN NOT to continue give the BIG BONUSES out to the UPPER MORONS. the more you raise the prices the fewer mailers. It does not take a ROCKET scientist to figure that one out

5. Oldie says:

You guys are posting to an article from January of 2012, re-posted by Yahoo on November 18.

The cost of the stamp will be going up another penny in Jan 2013 to 46 cents.

6. jerry says:

The good old Post Office, lavish parties,trips all over the country too many paid holidays,yes, I guess it’s time for an increase.

7. Linda B says:

Still the best bargain around for getting product, letters, etc from one place to another. I have found all my letter carriers and window personnel friendly and professional. I also believe most of us reap what we sow….

8. philip g says:

1948 it cost .01 to mail a post card, today .01 x 3300% = $.33. 1948 a dozen of large eggs wholesale was .65, if the price increase was the same as the stamp, .65 x 3300% = $21.10. I don’t know what the common mark up is in the supermarket, + 3% and now it is $22.76 for a dozen of eggs. Maybe I could again run a chicken farm.