NEWS
comments

Stamp Price Increase [Jan 22, 2012]

Forever Stamps IncreaseWant to get a 2% return on an investment in just one day?

Buy a Forever Stamp from the Post Office on January 21st, 2012 and mail something on January 22nd (well, on the 23rd because the 22nd is a Sunday). On January 22nd, the post office is set to increase the current stamp price of a first class letter from 44 cents to 45 cents. Also increasing will be the price of mailing a post card, a three cent increase to 32 cents. Letters to Canada and Mexico will now cost 5 cents more to 85 cents. Letters anywhere else outside the United States will see a stamp increase of 7 cents to $1.05 a pop.

Forever Stamps, as you’ll remember, can be used on any first class letters so buying them today means you don’t need to find penny stamps come January 22nd.

(Photo: queen_of_subtle)

52 Responses to “Stamp Price Increase [Jan 22, 2012]”

1. travis says:

This is an interesting prospect. Yes, prices will go up. Also, the value of the dollar down. Oh, and odds are (if your like me) your use of stamps will diminish more. Is this REALLY a good investment?

I also found this article: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2007/05/should_i_invest_in_forever_stamps.html

Saving/Earning 2% over 2 yrs is not really going to move the needle in my book.

2. Sun says:

I still have Forever Stamps from the last price increase. Post office letter mail volume has been decreasing significantly over time. Bill Pay is available online. It seems tech unsavvy individuals still use stamps?

• Shirley says:

Only for personal greeting cards to those who do not use the internet. :-)

• tbork84 says:

Besides, I know a lot of people who find e-cards to be rather tacky and less personal than a physical card. I don’t think Hallmark is in any immediate danger of becoming obsolete.

• Lady B says:

I am tech savvy and I still use stamps!

• mallory says:

Some businesses still very much use stamps for mailing monthly statements.

• mike says:

Just to clarify things, internet use is a class situation. About 50% of the people i know cannot afford computers. Therefore they are tech “unsavvy” only because they are of a poorer class. People need to be more aware of this.

i do have a computer, i still use stamps. Despite my sending e-mails i find it is extremely impersonal compared to letter writing, a lost art. i have actually lost contact with friends since using computers because they no longer stay in contact.

3. Sean says:

Are there any known USPS that are open on Sundays in the big cities with clerks? I know Boston, MA (25 Dorchester Ave); New York, NY(421 8th Ave); and Los Angeles, CA (406 E 2nd St). Any other cities?

4. dave says:

They should increase it to $1 so that everyone starts sending mail and videos online for free which takes a few seconds

• just me says:

this is the dumbest comment ever, my grandparents (late 60′s early 70′s) do NOT use the internet, so then it would cost a ton for my kids to mail them there cards or letters.

• um..no says:

Dear Dave,

that is and extraordinarily stupid idea. Thousands of people would lose there jobs, and the government would lose even more money, so think before you speak you moron.

• really? says:

think before yous peak, imagine how bad it will be if everyone is FORCED to use the net. bandwidth prices will increase

• R says:

Please remember that we deliver to EVERY house in the United States that is on a mail route. There are many that do use us for parcels, also, we have great rates. “Aunt Sue” in Corvallis, MT gets the same service as “Uncle Gene” in West Palm Beach, FL. There are many of us that like the personal touch of a real letter, also.

• Shirley says:

R, and postal carriers everywhere,

We thank you for your care in your chosen (and sometimes unpleasant) line of work. We want you to know that we appreciate you, most likely more than you realize.
        … Gram and Gramps

5. John says:

Stamp prices are restricted by law from increasing faster than inflation, so over the long run you’ll only break even with buying Forever stamps. That said, if you mail frequently, load up now to avoid the price increase in January.

I would also like to see a Forever postcard stamp, since they’re impacted by price increases too.

• Bonnie says:

postcard stamps just went up 1 penny, now 3 more?… At my job, we buy them by the roll of 100… Forever postcard stamps are a magnificent idea!

6. kowtymae says:

I enjoy my job as a rural carrier and am thankful that the postal service (for the time being) remains up and running. As a not-for-profit entity, the postal service makes it’s money from the sale of stamps, shipping services and shipping materials. There are strict guidelines for the hiring of carriers to include an extensive background check, testing, and numerous interviews. Those who make it are among the best that America has to offer. If keeping these workers employed means having to raise the cost of a stamp by a penny, I will gladly contribute.

7. thinkgreen says:

Think green ! Nature will thank you if you let it live by our
    sending e-cards or greeting via phone calls or in person. What a waste when the paper cards and envelopes are thrown away for instance !
    Furthermore the carriers drive around, delivering cards, etc. and this
    causes air pollution, wears out tires, etc.
    We need to take care of our precious Earth especially for the future
    generations. It is weeping.

8. guest says:

I am tech savvy and use online billpay whenever it makes sense. BUT if you read the fine print before you pay your bill online, there are a lot of companies(banks) that charge a service fee for paying your bills online. In those cases, the price of a stamp is much more economical than the $3-5 service fee for an online payment. I also agree that e-cards are nice but at certain times they are pretty tacky – such as sympathy cards or weddings, etc. Some instances still require a handwritten heartfelt thought.

9. nomorejunkmail says:

I would be more than happy to see mail delivery limited to 3 days a week. Since 90% of what we get is advertising and junk, it would certainly help at the landfill to downsize all of that garbage. I’m not in favor of terminating carriers – just attrition. We do most of our bill paying online thru our credit union at no extra charge so it’s definitely a better option than buying stamps all the time. A roll of stamps would easily last me 2 or more years!

• mallory says:

I agree. I think mail carriers could still work a full week, just rotate which days each zip code gets mail. There may be a few cutbacks in the department, but more will keep their jobs in the long run.

10. Mary Williams says:

Not everyone can afford a computer and an internet. Some older people don’t even know how to use a computer. It is cheaper to mail letters than for some people to have a computer and internet for they are on a fixed income so we need to keep our Post Office as it helps lots of us.I still pay my bills by mail. I like to keep up with what I owe and pay and not everyone look at it as they can on a computer. We have too many hackers this day and age hacking into people’s computers and business computers..

11. Helen says:

There are many times when a real card or letter is so much more appropriate than an email or text. I am tech savvy, send many emails, but who does not love to receive a card in the mail? My grandson, age 4, loves to receive his own personal mail from his mailbox, altho he is already tech savvy and loves the computer. Forever stamps are wonderful, so that Forever post card idea is excellent. Carry on, carriers and postal workers. You are needed and appreciated.

12. Koral says:

3 days a wk? Good grief, for those of is who work long and odd hours that would be a pain. Besides, so much pf our government is still mail-based and it’s hard enough for me to get things mailed in a timely manner. Not to mention Everything on the internet is hackable. Yes, someone could steal your mail, but there wasn’t near as much identity theft as there is today. All your personal info is now on one easy to find source.

And as to personal touches, people today think a text or FB message is keeping in contact. I’m still young, but I miss the days when I had pen pals. No one ever writes back. I’m willing to pay whatever to keep our postal service for as long as possible. UPS and FEDEX are stressful to use, and usually I get horrible service.

13. Bud says:

The job that the post office does is terrible.I never know when,if, or who’s mail I receive. My mail is mostly delivered at night when it,s dark therefore it’s delivered by flashlight. Evidently the mail carrier either can’t read or can,t see because I usually receive mail for someone who lives miles away. Most of the junk mail(most of the time it’s not delivered) is trashed because the sale’s are expired. They do not deserve a raise. Most should be fired. Bring back the Pony Express.

• daemondust says:

That’s a problem with your local PO, and your carrier in particular. In the many years I’ve lived where I do, I haven’t had a single piece of expected mail misdelivered or go missing. Of course, the plural of anecdote isn’t data….

14. JOANN says:

I love our Main Post Office in South Bend, IN. It is so convenient and I do not pay my bills online. Our Post Office makes it so easy to mail packages. The staff are as nice and as helpful as they can be. I just pray that our Post Office will do whatever it takes to remain open. They will always have my business.

15. cl thrash says:

The USPS should charge more for mail.

Why just charge 45 cents?

Why note just charge an even dollar? I’d pay it.

16. SJ says:

The government and IRS will not accept emails so stamps are necessary.

17. Connie says:

The price of a first class stamp is still a good deal when you compare it to other countries. Remember that the post office is user funded.

18. NavyChief says:

Having visited 85 countries during my Naval career, $.45 for a 1st class stamp is a bargain. While stationed in Scotland many yrs ago, a 1st class stamp was $.55 and there was no guarantee of overnight dlvy even if the recipient was 10 mi. away. I blame congress for their lack of oversight of our dysfunctional USPS. I also blame the USPS for their lack of foresight and innovation and their failure to utilize modern day technology. This is 2012, not 1962.

19. Barbara says:

The USPS could charge 5.00 for a first class stamp and still go in the hole because they have never been smart about saving money. They only know how to spend and waste !!!

20. CJ says:

tech un-savvy individuals?? moron,not everyone can afford a computer or internet. Get a clue!
    That and you’re not real bright putting your whole life over the internet and when your computer takes a dive on you how are you going to pay your bills?

21. Jim says:

2 ideas to for the Postal Service to raise all the cash they need.
    1. Double the costs for junk mailings, they will either get more money or less mail to carry.
    2. Raise the rates for Congressional and Senate mailings, Call it a form of government funding.

22. Laura says:

I have forever stamps purchased before 2012. I want to mail some things on January 31, 2012. What additional postage will I need?

• Jim says:

Forever stamps will always cover first class postage, regardless of the rates, so you don’t need additional postage.

23. J says:

My husband has long said that the USPS should charge more for junk mail. As Jim said, “they will either get more money or less mail to carry.”

24. vee says:

I am computer savy with masters in instructional technology for over fifty years , past 55 but way before 60 and on my 10th computer. I didn’t own a computer for my masters only electric typewriters. People have choices in this world. I believe the UPS needs to stay open because our country was built on the Pony Express. I like mailing, writing and typing letters and mailing to people. I enjoy sending out buying cards and mailing cards. I also collect various stamps just to be collecting them. Personally, I do not want an wedding invitation or invite or birthday card emailed to me. I enjoy receiving items in the mail. The computer becomes an bore at times but I love my computers and android phone. People are afraid of driving, sewing machines,computers, etc. I personally know people that work on an computer at work and too cheap to purchase one for their own convenience or just do not want one. I still send checks through the mail. I am a former union worker retired from my field. I believe in mailing and getting items in the mail even junk mail. We need to keep the art of reading, collecting books, collecting stamps, letters and writing because this is an art. We do not want to lose this art because we might one day wake up and no one will be able to write.

25. Brittany says:

You people are not that smart.. What about the people who are in the army or in jail and the old people? Technology can be hard to get to and hard to use. A lot of people still use mailing. ESP around the holidays when people send out cards. I love my electronics, but they aren’t really that dependable. I mean seriously. Networks crash, things break and people like to hack. In these cases, mailing is much easier.. 50 cents isn’t that bad, but I don’t think it should keep going up as people will just stop mailing do much. Isnt that the main problem now?? Why make it worse?