With the price of a barrel of oil around $100 and the price of a gallon of gasoline inching towards $4, you’ve probably got fuel on the brain this year. If you also have a new (or new to you) car on the brain as well, you might want to know the top 10 fuel efficient MPG cars of 2008 right? Well, if you scour the EPA fueleconomy.gov website, you’d get the following list of top 10 (with ties) cars.
But, before we hit the actual list, here are some interesting, but not surprising, points worth noting:
- All vehicles have 4 cylinder engines.
- All mileages are based on the new EPA MPG testing guidelines.
- The average is a weighted average based on 55% city driving, 45% highway driving.
- A lot of Toyota’s and Honda’s on the list but there are some American cars on the list like the Ford Escape Hybrid and Mercury Mariner.
- The first seven cars on the list are hybrids, three of those are SUVs!
- All of the cars are capable of going over 30 MPG.
- The number #1 vehicle, the Toyota Prius, has a starting MSRP of $21,200 (but you have to get on a waiting list!).
- The number #10 vehicle, the Honda Fit, has a starting MSRP of around $13,950 – very reasonable for a 30.2 MPG (if that truly is important to you).
|Rank||Vehicle||Vehicle Type||City MPG||Highway MPG||Avg. MPG|
|1||Toyota Prius, 1.5L, Auto (CVT), HEV||Sedan||48||45||46.7|
|2||Honda Civic Hybrid, 1.3L, Auto (CVT), HEV||Small Car||40||45||42.3|
|3||Nissan Altima Hybrid, 2.5L, Auto (CVT), HEV||Sedan||35||33||34.1|
|4||Toyota Camry Hybrid, 2.4L, Auto (CVT), HEV||Sedan||33||34||33.5|
|5||Mercury Mariner Hybrid FWD, 2.3L, Auto (CVT)||SUV||34||30||32.2|
|5||Mazda Tribute Hybrid 2WD, 2.3L, Auto (CVT)||SUV||34||30||32.2|
|5||Ford Escape Hybrid FWD, 2.3L, Auto (CVT)||SUV||34||30||32.2|
|6||Toyota Yaris, 1.5L, Man(5)||Small Car, Hatchback||29||36||32.2|
|7||Toyota Corolla, 1.8L, Man(5)||Small Car||28||37||32.1|
|8||Toyota Yaris, 1.5 L, Auto(4)||Small Car, Hatchback||29||35||31.7|
|9||Honda Fit, 1.5L, Man(5)||Small Car, Hatchback||28||34||30.7|
|10||Honda Fit, 1.5L, Auto(5)||Small Car, Hatchback||27||34||30.2|
Curious about what #11 was? Not too exciting, it is the Automatic transmission version of the #7 car, the Toyota Corolla.