Personal Finance
comments

Talk Smack On Whatever Company You Want…

… because I can’t be held liable! Join the masses trashing U-Haul because they hate U-Haul or trash any other company that has wronged you in the past. Use this post as your sounding board if you want to complain about another company (or email me if a company has screwed you bad enough and we can elevate it to a full blown post!). Just try to keep the swearing to a minimum.

Source: ZDNet.

9 Responses to “Talk Smack On Whatever Company You Want…”

1. Rob Carlson says:

A factual narritive has always been a solid defense.

2. jim says:

Right, it can’t be slander/libel if it’s the truth, however in the past people could get in trouble for stuff written by others on their website (bboards, blogs, etc.) but not anymore based on this court decision in California. Pretty sweeeeeeeeeeeet, open season in the comments section.

3. mjh says:

or you could go hang out at http://www.consumerist.com

4. Anonymous says:

One technique that I’ve found is very effective is to make credible legal threats. Back in the late 90′s, I had a problem with ChemLawn spraying part of my lawn in addition to my neighbor’s lawn. Under other circumstances, I wouldn’t have minded the free service, but I had two young children playing in the grass. I didn’t want them to get the amount of exposure they would get while playing like all young kids in the yard.

I called ChemLawn to complain. I was already mad, so I was taking notes with all the details: the time I called, the number I called, how long I was on hold, who I talked to and what was said. The manager I spoke to hung up on me,

Within an hour I was standing in their office. I asked what was in the spray they had applied. My new victim tried to dodge. I told him that pesticides and fertilizer had been applied to my lawn by his company. The flag they had planted said so, The flag was 20 feet over the property line, so it wasn’t even slightly ambiguous. Under the law in this state, I couldn’t sue them. He relaxed a little when I said that I knew that. Then I hit him. I demanded that he produce the Material Safety Data Sheets for all of the chemicals applied to my lawn and that by law he had 24 hours from the time I requested them to produce them. I gave him a letter I had written while I was waiting for him that demanded them in writing. I also pointed out that it is illegal to apply some pesticides too close to waterways, I don’t remember it now, but at the time I had checked the distance. I told him that I planned to give someone in the State Dept of Environmental Conservation a call about it. Ordinarily, that would have sounded like so much hot air, but I had the name and phone number of the person I wanted to call and offered to make it a conference call right there in his office.

5. belleandthecity says:

I have a bone to pick with Reservation Rewards and all companies that partner with it to gather marketing data (including everyone’s beloved amazon!). Basically they trick you into clicking a link to get a reward after filling out a survey on a company site (like fandango or amazon) which “enrolls” you into a $10 a month membership.

While this is dispicable, what is really terrible is that you don’t give them your credit card info–fandango does! Luckily they are currently embroiled in a class action law suit. Serves them right.

Consumerist has a few posts on this: http://consumerist.com/consumer/check-your-statements/reservation-rewards-infects-gamestop-286366.php

6. Webloyalty Consumer Affairs says:

To belleandthecity:

Webloyalty.com protects its reputation and monitors the blogosphere to insure information posted on our company is truthful and accurate. Through this monitoring, we found this blog with your comments about our membership program, Reservation Rewards.

We would like the opportunity to speak with you directly to address your concerns, but do not have your contact information. If you are unhappy with your subscription or have any questions regarding your membership to Reservation Rewards please contact Webloyalty.com Customer Service at either 1-800-732-7031 or send an email message to consumeraffairs@webloyalty.com. We will be happy to help you.

Regards,
    Mary O’Reilly
    Webloyalty Consumer Affairs
    Reservation Rewards

7. Jack says:

General Steel, or more like General Steal! I hope that at least one person reads this before giving them a deposit, because if you already have, you are SCREWED!!! Google search General Steel lawsuit, litigation, court, and whatever other legal terminology you can think of. You can spend all night reading about people, businesses, and even churches they have gotton. Steps to take before considering general steel:

1. You are about to spend umpteen thousands of dollars on a new building, set aside a few hundred and let an attorney do the paperwork for you.
    2. Get a firm delivery date. The 6 to 8 weeks will ALWAYS turn to 8 to 12 months.
    3 . Get a firm price INCLUDING doors, windows, insulation, blueprints, taxes and delivery. The price they give you is for a tin box, and that is it!
    4. Do yourself a favor, just don’t deal with them. Do the google search mentioned above, that should be enough. They don’t even make the buildings, in fact, they don’t make squat! They are just a bunch of middlemen. They buy the buildings from Star Building Systems. Also, they will hit you with a “Price Increase” when your building cannot be delivered to you within 30, 60, or 90 days (whatever they choose to put on the sales draft), when the manufacturing time from Star Buildings exceeds that! One last thing, They will call you no kidding 10 to 20 times a day until you send a deposit via a fax copy of a check, once they have that, you may not hear from them for a month or more.

8. bud says:

My story about General Steal is the same. Don’t buy from those crooks, You will be mislead, overcharged, lied to , and stolen from.

9. Earl says:

Unfortunately they have our deposit of close to $30,000 and now we want to get out. Everything said above has happened to us. Does anyone have any suggestions on getting our money back?