Taxes
comments

Tax Return Filing Deadline

It’s September 15th, do you know where your tax return is? (please laugh or it’ll be uncomfortably quiet in here)

If you filed your taxes on April 15th, you can ignore this post. If you requested a tax filing extension, let this be a reminder that your tax return will be due in exactly one month. October 15th is the tax return filing deadline for people who requested and were approved for a tax filing extension.

Since I can see the future, I know that in some point in the future someone will read this article and be wondering when all the various tax return related deadlines are. Being the nice guy that I am, I’ll list them for your reference. Your tax return filing deadline will depend entirely on your tax situation because the extension gives you extra time to file, not extra time to pay your bill!

Here are my suggestions on when you should file:

• If you owe federal taxes, file or mail your tax return by April 15th. If April 15th falls on a holiday or a Sunday, file or mail your return by the following day.
  • If you are due a refund, file or mail your tax return as soon as possible so you get your refund as soon as possible. The deadline for employers and other institutions to mail you W-2s and 1099s is January 31st, unless it falls on a weekend, in which case it is the next business day.

2009 Tax Return Filing Deadline Dates

Here are all the deadline dates for 2009 (to be updated each year):

• W-2/1099 Mailing Dates – February 2
  • 1040 Tax Return Filing Deadline – April 15
  • 1040 Tax Return Extended Filing Deadline – October 15
  • Estimated Tax Due Dates – April 15, June 15, Sept 15, Jan 15

11 Responses to “Tax Return Filing Deadline”

1. Anno ny says:

“If you filed your taxes on April 15th, you can’t ignore this post.”

I think you mean I CAN ignore this post.

2. I love how people get excited about tax returns. It’s such a successful trick by the government! They take your money month after month, then “GIVE” you money on your return.

If only we had to write one giant check at tax time, the pressure would be unprecedented to get those rates down!

• dilbert69 says:

Aaargh!

Tax return: The document you file with the taxing authorities showing your income, deductions, credits, taxes already paid, etc., and the tax due or refund owed you.

Tax refund: A check you get from the taxing authorities when you have paid more in taxes during the year than you owed.

3. eric says:

“It’s September 15th, do you know where your tax return is?”

Ha. ha. ha. :D

4. dilbert69 says:

If April 15 falls on a Saturday, you can mail your return on the following Monday.

5. superdiamond says:

Im still waiting for my state refund check since Febuary!!!!!!! ARGH I hate auditing

6. Damon Day says:

Great, thanks for clouding my day. I filed an extension this year. I am going to have to take some time off and get everything to my CPA by the 1st. It was so nice to file the extension and put it out of mind, now I am dreading next weekend. Thanks for the reminder though.

7. jillianlou says:

Has anyone ever explained why the estimated due dates are not evenly spaced?

8. LouH says:

I filed an extension for my father thinking that he might have to file a return. I just reviewed his info and he is below the filing requirement. Do I still have to file his return because I filed the extension??

• Andrew says:

I am not a lawyer and I don’t work for the IRS, but I would assume that if you don’t have to file a return, you don’t have to file a return. I can’t imagine asking for an extension would change this. What did the IRS say when you called? Did your father pay in any taxes? Might he be entitled to a refund of any or all of the amount paid in? If so, it would probably behoove him to file even though he’s not legally required to do so.