Taxes
comments

2010 Taxes Due on April 18th

You know how the tax deadline is usually April 15th? Well, the IRS adjusts the date, they are required by tax law, if it falls on a holiday or on a weekend. This year, the folks in Washington D.C. will be celebrating Emancipation Day on Friday, April 15th. Normally the date is April 16th, the day in 1862 when President Lincoln signed the Compensated Emancipation Act, but this year they’re observing it on the 15th.

What does that mean for you and me? Taxes won’t be due until April 18th, that following Monday. If you are due a tax refund, I’d file as soon as possible so you can get your own money back. If you owe taxes, I’d wait until the 18th. :)

16 Responses to “2010 Taxes Due on April 18th”

1. file now pay later says:

While filing the return there is an option to specify the date when the IRS initiates a debit against your account, so you can file now & pay on April 18th ( or 1-3 days earlier to be safe )

The post above seems to be saying that we should wait till April 18th to file if tax is owed

2. Rockbell says:

Given that those who file schedule A must wait until 2.14 should not they delay tax filing the same number of days(14 days based on having tax info in the mail by 1.31)

3. zapeta says:

Nothing wrong with having a couple extra days to file taxes, especially for those who have to wait to file because of changes in the tax laws.

4. MoneyNing says:

I would rather file earlier and know exactly how much I owe than to leave it to the last minute in case I need to somehow come up with the money.

5. skylog says:

it is nice that people have a few extra days, but is there any doubt that most people will now just be putting them off longer and still be rushing to get them in on the 18th? sad, but probably true

6. eric says:

I admit it…I actually haven’t heard of Emancipation Day until a week ago.

7. Yep, a few extra days to procrastinate! No matter what the end date, I’ll still file in mid-February when I receive all of my info.

8. billsnider says:

Every year I make it a point to drive by the post office around 11PM on the due date. There is a line going out the door. People either procrastinate or refuse to pay before it is due. I even see people writing up their returns!.

Do you think a few extra days will make a differance?

Bill Snider

9. Holly says:

The federal taxes aren’t due until the 18th, but the state taxes are still due on the 15th, so there really is no point in waiting until the 18th to file fed taxes if you have to file state anyways.

• Anonymous says:

good reason to live in a no income state and the fact you dont loss half your money before you get it

• Ivette says:

Not all states, NY is also due the 18th and Massachussetts is due the 19th. People need to check their particular states.

10. Master Allan says:

I heard that the IRS is so flooded with mailed tax returns in the days after the due date they sometimes do not care/do not notice a return postmarked a day late. No one is paid to sit at a desk on April 18th to sort through a million mailed envelopes looking for April 16th stamped by the post office.

Anyone have a story that proves or disproves what I was told? It could be nonsense or may have truth to the filing date.

11. Expert Procrastinator says:

I am probably the worst procrastinator in the world so of course I haven’t yet filed my taxes. I was wondering, do my forms have to arrive to the IRS by the due date or can you send them out on that date at the latest?

12. Lynn Kocher says:

WOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! I am SO happy. A reprieve. THANK YOU, thank you thank you