Career, Personal Finance
comments

The Best Job Perks & Fringe Benefits

Do you get any cool perks as part of your job? One of the cool perks at my new job is a free happy hour each month with free food and free drinks, which was light years better than any perks I had at my old job. But a free happy hour each month doesn’t compare with some of the ones highlighted on a list by CNN Money. If you worked at New Belgium Brewing in Ft. Collins, Colorado, you get a free case of beer a week, a free bike after one year of service, and after five you get a trip to Belgium!

Employees of marketing firm Brogan & Partners in Michigan go on a mystery trip each year and at Rockville, Maryland business publisher UCG, the thousand employees and significant others go on an all-expenses-paid long weekend every five years. Chipotle gives $30/month for vet insurance, insurance company Acuity has a stocked pond (keep what you catch) and $100 towards Weight Watchers. Free vacations? Free beer? Those are some pretty sweet perks, do you have any cool perks?

Check out more at CNN Money.

16 Responses to “The Best Job Perks & Fringe Benefits”

1. Lisa says:

My favorite perks at my current job are very financially related – 10% of my salary is contributed by my employer to my retirement fund. No matching required. Cha-ching! At a time when most people get 3% (match required), this takes the cake. The other big perk is 30-50% of my child’s college tuition will be paid for by my employer (assuming I still work for them 10 years from now when he is actually old enough to go to college).

2. CK says:

That’s pretty nice.

3. Patrick in VA says:

My current job has a few good things for it:
    There’s a built in Sport n Health Club on site
    The job will pay for your Masters or Law School
    We’re production based, and if you have the time you are allowed to work an extra 50 hours of overtime (w/o supervisor approval) if you choose – great for those who have the time
    After you pass some certifications you can apply for the work from home program:-)

4. I don’t think many perks compare to the life of a law firm summer associate. During law school you clerk with firms during the summer. Many of the larger firms take you to free, fancy lunches every day. You get nice dinners several nights per week. Finally, many firms take you on a trip somewhere for a weekend. All this happens in a couple months. Needless to say, I gained 60 pounds this summer. :O

5. Chrees says:

Hey, congrats on getting your Nasdaq 5th-letter post mentioned at TheStreet.com!

link

6. FMF says:

Free soda — all you can drink!

7. Ty says:

I work at a Credit Union and I get 4.0% loans up to double my annual salary and an interest free loan up to $4000.00 to purchase computer equipment.
    I also don’t pay any of the service charges or fees, including ATM fees.

It’s no happy hour, but it all adds up in the end!

Have a good one!

8. Amanda says:

At my soon to be old job, I will be giving up free breakfast everyday (6 different kinds of cereal and assorted bagels and cream cheese). It is by far the best perk I’ve ever had! Oh, and you can get the cereal and bagels all day, so you’re not limited to just the breakfast hours!

There’s free soda too…

9. Lets see:

I was a bartender in college…free booze!

I worked for a software “etailer” who ended up going bankrupt. I got 5 monitors, 3 desk chairs, software (including Win 2000 and Office 2000) and a bunch more computer related items before I got caught up in the layoffs (I was let go in the 4th of the 6 rounds of layoffs).

I worked for a video game maker… free games, free accessories (i.e. steering wheel for games), free t-shirts, LOTS of free t-shirts.

Not much since then.

10. George says:

I get matches up to 10% on the 401k, free cable, internet (3meg speed), local and long distance, $3000 a year for college (paid before class is attended, with obvious caveats) and it is possible to have all college paid for with approval from the GM.

11. Debbie says:

I work at a university and have loads of perks. My favorites are free health insurance, an old fashioned defined benefit pension plan (I contribute about 6% and so do they), and semester-long check-out privileges at a huge academic library. I also use the free shuttle buses, lots of professional development opportunities, frequent free breakfasts and lunches and birthday cakes (yes, I have gained weight, too), and beautiful grounds to stroll across and museums to visit during lunch. Also, there are all kinds of things going on around the place like poetry readings and musical recitals and health fairs and such. And a local service fraternity brings a bloodmobile to campus three times a year. They’re about to provide a Roth 403(b) (401K equivalent for nonprofits) which I will take at least some advantage of. And they almost never lay anyone off; during financial difficulties they do hiring freezes instead. So long as you can stand being responsible for more than just your job, you get to stay employed.

On the negative side, I was told at my last job that my current employer is the only employer in the city whose salaries she can beat–so it’s definitely one of the lowest-paying large employers around. Also there is not enough parking and it’s far away and expensive in a town with very mediocre mass transportation systems.

12. Davy says:

At my job I get free H20 all day long. OK we do get a cupple of perks but there not much. We close down 2 weeks a year!!! an after a year of working you get a gift card for $75 bucks. I really liking Patrick’s perks the best, perhaps we could get his boss to talk to mine for a few ideas.

13. Christie says:

I work for a hotel with only 3 star properties and better (most 4-5) and get 12 free nights I can use anywhere in the world. :) Nothing beats the trip I took to Hawaii and didn’t shell out a cent for the $750/night hotel room we stayed in for a week and a half.

I also get free lunch everyday, free soda (all you can drink), free dinners sometimes, free sporting tickets to see the city’s NBA team (I get to go to the playoffs in the hotel’s club level seats… I am in Sales, so I’ll have a client but it’s still awesome), NFL tickets, free alcohol at receptions etc, free tickets to theater shows such as Riverdance or Mary Poppins (Broadway) depending on which groups stay with us, and free use of the hotel’s gym (which is actually state-of-the-art equipment).

Downside: horrible horrible horrible numbers of hours to work… This week it was approximately 60-65…

14. jayno says:

One year my employer gave all of us a free turkey around Thanksgiving! Woot woot top that! lol