Credit
comments

The Black Card from Barclays

Barclay's The Black CardOoooh, have you seen the latest and greatest in buying technology? Forged from carbon graphite by the hammer of Hephaestus himself, Barclays just announced The Black Card. It’s so exclusive that it’s available only to 1% of U.S. Residents. Only 1% of U.S. Residents get to experience the 24-Hour concierge service, only 1% get to enjoy “luxury gifts,” only 1% get to touch the patent pending carbon graphite card, and, of course, only 1% get to pay the $495 annual fee for a card that has offers few details about it.

You might be able to tell I’m a bit tongue and cheek about this thing, I was just surprised to see such an “exclusive” card advertise on site like Buy.com. I don’t associate Buy.com with luxury and exclusivity, I think of it like Amazon.com, a site you visit when you want to find good prices on regular products. You won’t find expensive brand named products there, unless it’s electronics, so it confused me why something so “exclusive” was advertising in a place that is normally frequented by us unwashed masses.

As for the card itself, if you’re into the whole exclusive card thing (and they are hoping you are) and have $495 a year to burn, it’s not that bad of a card. When you compare it to other affluent banking cards, like the American Express Black Centurion card, it seems to offer the same type of services but at a lower price point. The Barclays Black Card is made of a fancy material (ooooh graphite! like pencils!), offers the Travel Lounge Priority Pass, and the 24/7 concierge service. The Black Card also has a 0% APR on balance transfers for six months and a 1% cash back program – at only $495, not $2500 a year.

So, anyone running out and applying for this bad boy? It is the first time I’ve seen a company advertise an annual fee as an exclusive privilege!

13 Responses to “The Black Card from Barclays”

1. Cap says:

haha. so true. list of exclusive privileges: annual fee $495

hey sweet. i get to pay $495 per year and not $0? I’m so signing up.

2. tom says:

HA… what a joke. One of the benefits is Priority Pass that grants you access to airport lounges… that program is a joke too. I’m a member through another card and you still have to pay to access the lounges!

All such a joke.

3. AngryDino says:

This card is obviously made for elite athletes. When Lance Armstrong tries to win the Tour de France again next year, do you think he wants to have some regular, plastic credit card weighing him down? No way. Lance will have a carbon-fiber bike, carbon-fiber shoes, and OF COURSE a carbon-fiber credit card.

Besides, once he puts the shoes and the bike on his card, the rewards points will be adding up…

4. jim says:

Touche Angry Dinosaur… touche. :)

5. I love it! “ooooh graphite! like pencils!” Obviously, a Number 1 pencil and not the lowly # 2,

6. Bill M says:

You have to remember, the selling point is the graphite. Next, they will make a credit card made of Titanium. ooooh, titanium, ohhhh

7. MoneyNing says:

They need to make one they will just scan my face and recognize me. Why even carry a card (graphite or not)?

8. Tim says:

well, it doesn’t top the mastercard you can get in the Emirates that has an actual diamond embedded in the card.

9. Eric N. says:

Maybe in my next lifetime…

10. Carla says:

Maybe in my currently lifetime. :)

It is strange that its advertised on Buy.com though.

11. Peter Harvard says:

I signed up for the card and got my 6 kids cards at only $150 a year for each additional card.

12. Another Eric N. says:

I had never heard of this card, and in the middle of a ridiculously bad economy when I haven’t gotten a single credit card offer in about a year (hmmmm.. less junk mail is actually one benefit), I get this bold offer for an even bolder card. So I open it up, take note of all the huffy self-importance of the packaging and catch-phrases and see: a 13.24% *VARIABLE* rate (you can get fixed-rate cards with a much much more favorable rate), an annual fee of friggin’ 500 smackers, and… uh… little incentive to do anything other than drop kick the thing into the trash.

13. scoler says:

I applied for the Black Card because I thought it might have better benefits than my AMEX Platinum. When I received it my credit limit was less than what I spend monthly on my AMEX, also when I called they said you only get two free entrances to the airport clubs anything above that they charge you. Stay with AMEX better services and amenities.