Career
comments

The Most Interesting Resume Bullet You’ve Ever Seen

As a part of my new job, I’ve had the chance to review a few resumes to try to find good software engineering candidates (let me know if you’re looking for a job, can develop software well, are in the Baltimore region, and you aren’t Rob :) ) and I’ve seen more than a few interesting resume bullets in my time. The top candidate, and I argue that you probably aren’t going to find anything to rival this, has to be when someone put on their resume that they were the leader of a 6,000 member clan (guild?) on World of Warcraft. That isn’t, by any means, a negative at all (it shows leadership skills, interpersonal skills, and a whole host of other attributes that are very positive in a candidate) but it was surprising to see it on a resume because, at least I think, World of Warcraft is a means of entertainment.

At first I thought this was a peculiar item to put on your resume but then I thought about how we have a double standard here. If you saw someone was the captain of a mainstream varsity team sport, like basketball or football, would you react the same way? Definitely not. You’d think the candidate was a good leader, had good interpersonal skills, hard working, etc. I’d argue that being the leader of a clan in World of Warcraft (granted I’ve never played but I can imagine the hierarchal structure there isn’t that much different than any other game) is probably much harder than being the captain of any sport. If he joined after the clan started, he had to ascend past the other 5,999 members. If he started it, he had to, in some way, shape, or form, recruit 5,999 other players to join his clan. I don’t know how many players there are on a high school and college football team (though it’s under a hundred, probably under seventy) and there are only 12 players on a basketball team (again, not sure the limits at the high school and college level), so 6,000 trumps that by several orders of magnitude.

Anyway, what’s the most remarkable resume bullet you’ve ever seen?

28 Responses to “The Most Interesting Resume Bullet You’ve Ever Seen”

1. zen says:

I’ve read of people landing jobs because they put in unique interests – like being a fan of certain shows or activities, and other being rejected for them (one girl was rejects for putting down she liked The Simpsons, and said if they weren’t comfortable with that on her resume, she probably wouldn’t want to work there anyway. Rationality? Maybe)

Of course, I know a couple HR people where if they see certain things like that, or like WoW on a resume, they pitch it immediately – often for vague or idiotic reasons.

Personally, I think those little items are what make you unique and stand out. It’s lets them know you are human, and you have an interest (in something) outside of work.

2. Joe says:

I wouldn’t hire the person that put that on his/her resume. Not because there’s anything wrong with it – but because it’s a lie. Blizzard caps the guild size at 500 and has for a long time. And I should know because I was GM of a guild that averaged between 450-500 people for about a year and freqently ran up against that cap during that time.

• jim says:

Is there a difference between a guild and a clan? I’ve never played (and neither did the other folks interviewing) so we had no idea.

Lying = bad.

3. Rocketc says:

My brother was rejected during an interview with a police department (he is an officer) because he didn’t like cats. The chief of police really liked felines. This is a true story.

4. WoW, Just WOW!
    Now I’ve heard everything… I’m not sure how well I’d accept such a resume — I’d probably put this in context with the rest of the resume; but unless you’re trying to get hired for a video game company, it’s something I’ll have to confer with other folks about. My husband plays WoW pretty religiously and I still wouldn’t compare the experience to real life social interaction. OTOH, would you put blogging in your resume as a marketable skill? :)

• jim says:

I’ve always considered whether I’d put the fact that I am a blogger on my resume… what would give it more pop in the real world? visitors? revenue? It’s a strange thing to think about.

5. I’ve heard some stories of people getting jobs simply because of the informal style the resume was written in… Considered “bold”, “different”, “think[ing] different”.

I think it’s pretty much a crapshoot if your resume stands out. It’s a recipe of right time, saying the right thing, and being seen by the right person. Only one of those can be controlled.

6. Liz says:

I had an intern that wrote, “Making Sandwiches” under his list of skills. That’s not *why* I hired him, but it certainly made me look more closely at his resume.

7. jtl says:

It’s possible the guild had members across multiple servers.

8. Eric says:

Not true, the guys at The Instance podcast have a guild which is now in excess of 1000 members and they haven’t hit a limit yet.

9. Greg says:

A Guild in World of Warcraft is a group of people limited to a single side on a single server. Guilds are specifically supported by the WoW software, and membership in a guild is indeed capped at 500 members.

A “clan” in online gaming is a somewhat more tenuous concept. Clans can extend across multiple servers, or even multiple games. Clans as a concept have no representation in the WoW software – the only real social grouping available to players is the guild. Theoretically, it would be possible for a clan to have 6000 members, but I have been a hardcore WoW player since release, and have never encountered a clan in WoW of such a large size.

10. no says:

I’d throw that resume in the trash. “Gamers” are notortiously irresponsible and screwed up people. Not to mention boring, immature and uninspired.

We have a few a our company and they routinely have bill collectors calling for them and other assorted nonsense. Nothing’s more pathetic than a 30 year old man who comes off like a preteen boy.

• loser says:

Funny how you talk trash about “gamers” yet you can not spell out a complete sentance. I’m willing to bet that it is in fact you who has a boring life and feels the need to type such nonsense to get some excitement. You are truly special!

11. Seth says:

This statement that was made was unbelievably closed mind and obviously based on a very small and limited selection of the gaming community. “Gamers” are certainly not any less responsible or in debt than non gamers, the specific person whether he plays games or not is. Not to mention that the statement you made about being boring, immature, and uninspired are completely unquantative traits are that are how you feel about them.

A 30 year old man that is having bill collectors call him more than likely has nothing to do with a gaming hobby. More than likely it has with him not being able to pay his bills because he purchased large items outside his means (wash and dryer, car, house, etc) and I can think of many non gamers in this country that do the same thing.

So please don’t make a blanket statement of your limited experience with people that play games. Become a little more informed and a little less opinionated and maybe you will find that gamers are a little more interesting as a whole than what you are giving them credit for.

12. Kevin says:

I have to say, as a 23 year old gamer, that I take offense to this post. Sure, some “gamers” are irresponsible or screwed up, but lumping all of us together is the same kind of thinking that is getting Jack Thompson in trouble these days. I’ve been playing Video Games since I was 5, starting with old black and white educational software and moving up to computer and console games. My love of gaming is what led me into pursuing Computer Science as a field of study in college, and now I have a non-gaming related job that pays just shy of $50,000 only a year out of school. In addition, I’m considered rather mature for my age, consistently come up with and flesh out ideas for stories, game concepts, and new solutions to old problems, and am oftentimes considered the life of the party. So please, before grouping all us “gamers” together under one umbrella, research things that “gamers” have accomplished. We’re not all the 35 year old living off our parents, and working to support a $50 a month hobby that involves staring at a screen all night and laughing at words written using numbers instead of letters.

13. Kevin says:

While “no’s” comments are ridiculous stereotypes likely designed to get a reaction, the reason that double-standard spoke of is because sports are respected and high-level games have a negative (incorrect) stereotype attached to them – antisocial dweebs living in their mom’s basement, avoiding sunlight and pleasuring themselves repeatedly throughout the day.

14. dranoz says:

Um, I find that pretty easy to believe – if everything else is more or less equal, I’ll hire the person I think I’m going to get along with.

Plus…how does that even come up? Gotta tell you, if I’m interviewing someone and they tell me off the cuff that they don’t like cats, I would find that o.d.d. odd. And if I ask – I wouldn’t – the smart answer is always benign neutrality. Ex: Q: “So, do you like cats?”, A: “Never really been around them much, but they don’t bother me.”

But mainly…how’d that come up? Your bro’s statement/response must have left quite an impression…

15. Andy Lester says:

If your potential employer has any savvy whatsoever, they should know that you’re a blogger from Googling your name. I would never even consider calling someone in for an interview without checking their Web footprint.

16. James says:

You’re full of crap. The guild may only show in-game as 500 members, but I was in a 500+ member guild (Dark Souls on Antonidas server) for several months. The new WoW armory (in Beta) has guild stats and there are guilds w/ members numbering in the 1000′s. So…I call BS.

17. Kitanis says:

Guilds are hard to pin down.

I am the squad CO of the Battleground Europe Squad, Black Knight Brigade.

In-Game tab shows a membership of over a 1300 souls.. but I estimate that only 600 are active subscribers to the game.. the rest have left or left their memberships lasp.

The game dose not make the provision of a clean up easy. but my website shows a active membership of over 700 users.

Go figure.. but if you do actively lead a guild or Clan.. your BUSY!!! but not too sure if thats a empoyable bullet.

18. WoWEscapee says:

It’s true that the WoW in-game guild mechanism is capped at 500, but it’s common for a guild to just form secondary guilds when you reach the cap. It’s also extremely common for the “uber successful” WoW guilds to have chapters on every server.

19. Jeff says:

Stereo typing at its finest. why you are at it you might as well say you dont hire Hispanic people because they are lazy. I am truly thankful that i do not have a manager as ignorant as you are.

20. Jack Thompson says:

Don’t forget that 90%, err… I mean almost 100% of gamers are potential mass murders.

21. AaronV says:

I agree that you shouldn’t stereotype the guy for being a gamer, but he’s obviously a liar. 6000 members is impossible even if it’s across servers or a clan or whatever, and the fact that he claims he is the leader shows that he doesn’t even know how guilds work in WoW. We have a 40 member guild with three leaders/founders and we’ve all been in other guilds. When it gets up to about 200, that’s usually 50 players with 4 or 5 alts each and when we were at 250 in other guild it was hard to get a meeting together with more than 25 guys at a time. It’s just used to share skills and get people to help you run through dungeons. I’d be more impressed with him managing a 20 member group that had been there for 2 years than being a “leader” of a 6000 member group.

Toss it! ***BS ALARM***

22. Mike says:

I have not played WoW, but I was a guild leader in Everquest several years ago, and I would never list it on my resume. For those who are not familiar with MMOGs, I wouldn’t see any benefit. For those who are familiar with it, there is too much stigma about being addicted to MMOGs for me to risk listing it on a resume.

The media coverage of MMOGs talks about people who play for endless hours, to the detriment of their work and personal lives. My personal experience with guild leaders isn’t entirely inconsistent with that, either–most of the guild leaders I knew on Everquest would seem to play almost constantly. The guild leader who preceded me would play *from work*, on a regular basis.

Certainly I wouldn’t generalize that to all guild leaders, and when I was guild leader I did not play obsessively. I also did make use of my prior leadership and organizational experience to strengthen the guild and make them more self-sufficient without an omnipresent guild leader to hold their hands. Yes, it can be a difficult “job”, and requires certain qualities that not everyone possesses.

However, there are too many potentially negative associations for me to put that information in front of an employer.

23. Glindale says:

As an avid WOW player almost from it’s inception, I definitely think that you can tell a lot about people who play, to include whether they’d make a good employee. In fact, as a professional, I talked at length to a person in my guild about working for our company, even though I had never met him. When you spend a lot of time playing online with someone and talking to them live on Ventrilo or Teamspeak (a Skype type communication system), you can tell a lot about a person to include their honesty and integriy and abilities to handle people and problems. In the case where the person put down he was the GM of a 5,000 person guild, I’d discount him right off the bat, based on the fact, guilds can’t be that big. Therefore, he’s quite an embellisher.

24. anthony says:

500 or 5000 as a Hiring Manager how does it relate to the job?

Is it linked in any way to a skill (leadership, dedication, loyalty, charisma…and does that relate to the job?)

Knowing people view gamers as dweebs, living in their moms basement, spending 20 hours a day online (stereotype) would I then list it? How does this add to my resume and sell it better than without it.

*utilizing my excellent interpersonal and communication skills I have recruited and maintained an online team of 5000 members, a new record in WoW, something ‘experts’ said couldn’t be done.

However if 500 is the limit and I the recruiter know that, he wouldn’t get an interview. Its not embellishment, its LYING.

25. Jim says:

I just wanted to take a moment to respond to this, being an older adult that is and has been for quite some time, in a position where I review resumes and hire people to fill posted job positions. I typically skim the resumes and build 3 stacks (they are: “defiantly want to talk to”, “will talk to if I can’t find anyone better”, and the “you’ve got to be on crack”).
    Turn in a resume to me with a bullet about a game on it (unless you were the one that developed/designed/marketed etc) and it’s going in the “you’ve got to be on crack” stack and will shortly be in the trash for no other reason than it looks unprofessional and tells me that you just can’t come up with anything better to fill that space with.