Cars
comments

Top 10 Most Reliable Cars (2009)

Chrysler 300The Chrysler bankruptcy, and the poor (and insulting) way in which the corporate office notified dealerships that were to be shuttered, has put many Chrysler dealerships in a pinch. In a few short days, those dealerships will no longer be able to sell any cars. It will, in fact, be illegal for them to sell any cars. To make matters worse, Chrysler won’t take back any unsold vehicles! That means those dealerships are just dumping cars out into the marketplace because they simply can’t keep them.

But should you buy a car from a dealership about to close its doors? Or a manufacturer that’s in bankruptcy? Yes… if they’re reliable vehicles.

J.D. Power and Associates always puts out a list of the most dependable vehicles on the road.

1. 2006 Lexus LS 430: Ranked number one with a “record-setting index score for problem-free ownership, setting the best performance in the history of the Vehicle Dependability Survey.” Certainly high praise. (Toyota)
  2. 2006 Lexus SC 430: Ranked second. The five most common trouble spots were failed battery, trouble with tire pressure monitoring system, peeling, fading, or chipping paint. (Toyota)
  3. 2006 Mercury Grand Marquis (Ford)
  4. 2006 Buick Lucerne (General Motors)
  5. 2006 Buick LaCrosse (General Motors)
  6. 2006 Mercury Montego (Ford)
  7. 2006 Toyota Camry (Toyota)
  8. 2006 Acura RL (Honda)
  9. 2006 Lexus ES 330 (Toyota)
  10. 2006 Toyota Avalon (Toyota)

Not a single Chrysler vehicle made the dependability list. Five Toyota vehicles, two Fords, two General Motors, a Honda and absolutely zero Chrysler vehicles. I think that says it all for the franchise. Here’s the full photo gallery.

(Photo: willvision)

37 Responses to “Top 10 Most Reliable Cars (2009)”

1. Pat says:

Was the 2006 a typo? I am confused here.

• MissMartha says:

I think they need at least 3 years of data to do the rankings.

• Chris says:

They DO have 3 years of data to go on. That’s why they are listing 2006 models for 2009 rankings. Look how well American cars did yet nobody seems to take notice.

2. I own a Toyota Corolla so even though my car didn’t make the list, it’s nice to know Toyota scored well overall.

3. CuriousAG says:

Proud owner of a Camry XLE ;)

4. BKK says:

Although I have to agree with sentiment that Chrysler and quality aren’t a match, JD Power isn’t someone I would use as a gauge for anything on cars. Their satisfaction surveys are more or less “are you happy with the car?”. Its easy to be happy with a car when you barely drive it (I’m looking at you, old people, who are driving the big Mercury and GMs) and haven’t given the car a chance to break. Look to something like Edmunds for a more reliable survey of cars.

5. Iacocca says:

Consumer Reports recommended something like 90% of all models Toyota and Honda put out. 70% for Ford. 50% for GM. Just about all other manufacturers were somewhere between 50 and 90%.

They recommended 0% of Chrysler’s models.

And they’ve got this repair-index graph of all the manufacturers and the Chrysler bar goes off the chart.

It’s a shame that GM and Ford have had to be lumped together in the same sentence with Chrysler, because it seems like they’ve at least been trying to produce quality vehicles.

6. thomas says:

why are they all 2006 models?

7. Lucy says:

My parents bought a Toyota Camry in 1997. Now, 12 years later, that car is still running strong. Gotta love the Toyota quality and dependability. :D

8. EmBee says:

I have a beetle triple white. it seems this has nothing to do with me eh..

9. My car isn’t in the list . . .

As for the dealers, I am torn on my feelings about this . . .

On the one hand, I feel they are being screwed royally . . .

On the other hand, I feel this may be the first time they are getting a taste of what some of their fleeced customers have felt over the years . . .

10. It would be better if more of those cars were more gas efficient. The Camry seems to be the closest thing to that.

11. Mercury and Buick? I am stunned.

12. I have a 2004 Toyota Camry and haven’t had any problems with it yet. My wife has a 2003 Toyota Matrix. We read Consumer Reports religously. It almost never steers you wrong.

13. barry says:

i just rolled past 123,456 miles on my 2002 Camry. Other than regular maintenance and replacing brakes, the only “major” repair I have done is $1200 for a new Air Conditioner. Granted, I rarely use it, but still. It’s my 4th consecutive Toyota, and i’m sold. Fan for life.

• thomas says:

I’m hoping my current ride will last to than and beyond without major repairs. It’s not US made, so I got a fighting chance.

• Chris says:

I have two FORDS. A 1995 with over 129,000 and a 1993 with over 144,000. Both have been rock solid cars with no problems. Brand has very little to do with it my friend, its all in the maintenance.

• jlm says:

then move to japan if you love their products so much. i’m interested in helping our economy, not japans.

• Max35 says:

The 90% of the Toyota Camry parts are made in the US and it is assembled in the US. You can buy Toyota and support the US economy!

14. The reliability of a car will mostly depend on how you treat it. Are you getting the oil changes when necessary? Are you keeping your tires inflated? Are you getting maintenance checks? When driving, do you accelerate quickly? There are so many factors but ultimately, I think it comes down to the driver.

• nano says:

If it’s junk begin with like most of the Chrysler and GM products, it does not matter how you treat them. Because you are stiill going to be spending half of your life in repair shops getting it fixed.

• Patrick says:

Here! Here! Our Saturn has been a piece of crapmobile since it’s 2 years old. Never has a month passed w/o something needing repair/replacement

15. Carlos says:

I drove my old Toyota Tacoma (1999) for 8 years and put 120k miles on it…. I never had a problem with it, not a single thing… I did regular service to it but still drove it pretty hard, solid truck indeed….. now I drive a brand new Scion TC and Im very happy with…..

16. CUTEMAN says:

BUY AMERICAN YOU DORKS!!! (JK)

I’m glad Buick and Ford pulled their heads out their asses.

17. DAVE says:

I drive a 98 FORD F150 WITH 179,00 smiles and lots more to go.As usual FORD is still #1….

18. JakeMan says:

’85 bmw 535i 350,000 miles
    ’91 bmw m5 160,000 miles
    both run great. bmw straight six: bulletproof.

19. Kyle says:

Technically I have a Ford – a 1993 Ford Festiva
    (really a Mazda powertrain built by Kia) 13 yrs and 185,000 miles is the ONLY uberreliable car ever owned – the only ‘expensive’ repair- replaced axle shafts (cv boots split and dirt got in) Love my lil’car

20. nano says:

Where is the 04 Toyota Corolla why is it not on the list.They put some crapy GM cars on that list and expect us to believe it. I don’t think so

21. Gabi Presby says:

Wonderful…can’t afford any of these cars!

22. Jackson says:

@jlm – toyota vehicles in the united states are domestically produced for the united states

it’s not about another country’s economy

toyota for life.

23. Anonymous says:

I have a 2003 Dodge 2500 with 130,000 miles and have never done a single thing to it except tires and oil.

24. Max35 says:

Finally a Chrysler owner comes forward!! Speak up all you other Chrysler owners. My friend owned a 300M and constantly complained about the problems me had! He traded it in for a Honda and I never heard any more complains out of him.

25. Smokey says:

So first I owned a 2007 Dodge magnum SXT, never gave me any trouble until I was t-boned in the drivers door, at 45 MPH and walked away. All this stuff about Dodge vehicles being problematic is crap. Now I have a 2006 Magnum R/T and it also is a great car. My brother has a magnum as well, not a problem. Things are going to wear out and break. That is just part of owning a car. Brakes wear out because we use them to stop, suspension wears out from out great roads, and things just break. Cars are made of metal, plastic, glass, and rubber. They are subjected to heat, cold, vibration, and abuse. Any car can suck, but as for Chryslers, I think they are great. My wife has a 2008 Grand Caravan it too is a great vehicle. It does need tires though at 53,000 miles. Is that Chryslers fault?