Credit, Personal Finance
comments

Two Negative Items on My Credit Report

I applied for another 0% balance transfer card and was summarily rejected! The reason? Negative items on my credit report from Equifax – which means I get a free copy of my credit report but it also means I have to contest some issues. What I found were two records in collection from Verizon in collections for around $120 a piece; except I’ve never had any sort of relationship with Verizon!

This is somewhat disconcerting because a few months ago I found inaccuracies on my Transunion credit report which included an erroneous social security number, a fictitious address in Pennsylvania, but no open accounts I couldn’t match to an account I had (Equifax did not have these personal information errors). I contested those errors and they were fixed quickly but now I find two open accounts attributed to me from Verizon in Pennsylvania? Could it be that someone who was stealing my identity was using one credit union to record personal information and another to open two accounts? Or is this a case of just a pair of coincidental errors?

I’m inclined to believe this is just a pair of coincidental errors because if I were to really be a victim of identity theft, I doubt they’d just spoof some personal information and put on a couple cell phone accounts. I’d probably see a bunch of credit cards and other big ticket items on there, this is probably just a case of erroneous paperwork.

6 Responses to “Two Negative Items on My Credit Report”

1. Rich Slick says:

I suspect that you have been a victim of identity theft and the pattern appears to be that of someone in the US (probably undocumented illegal) using your identity for work rather than for theft or profit. I had a family member go through identity theft and it starts out small: a new cell phone contract or local department store credit card and ends with car loans and home mortgage – all in your name.

I would encourage you to file a police report asap with Pennsylvania State Police (or whatever agency deals with such matters) and you should probably sign up for a year worth of credit monitoring service to be on the safe side.

2. buttercrud says:

Maybe this is coincidence, but lately, out-of-the-blue, a collection agency for Verizon has been trying to reach me repeatedly to collect a debt for around $120. Too weird. My credit report looks OK though, but I’m watching it. Good luck.

3. amillionby40 says:

Oh boy, that sure doesn’t sound very good. I hope that you aren’t the victim of identity theft. My dad had some problem with that and it was a headache. I agree with Rich Slick about filing a police report. The police will probably not help you at all but usually the lendor/creditor requires that to prove your “innocence”, so to speak. Good luck.

4. nelson says:

I had a similar problem when applying for insurance (credit checks for insurance rates is a whole other issue). They said I had “too many accounts” and was being dinged for that. I too got a free credit report and found that it was 50 pages long! Which is odd because two months earlier I had a credit check for a government clearance and it was completely correct and much shorter.

I called Experian and they said that what must have happened was that my file was “joined” with three other people’s files because I have a common name. Nevermind the fact that I always use my middle initial, they joined my file with other files and my file read as such:

Name (my name), other aliases (the other three guys’ names), SSN (my social), other known SSNs (their socials), my addresses, their addresses (two must have been in the army…lots of military base addresses), all of my accounts and all of their accounts.

I was suprised that I could see the other guys’ SSNs, bank accounts, credit cards, addresses and everything else. I was also surprised that the CS rep said this happens all the time (even though SSNs were unique between all 4 of us), and suggested that I pay $5.95 a month to monitor my credit report for any inaccuracies. I laughed at the fact that the CS Rep wanted ME to pay THEM $5.95 a month to monitor any mistakes THEY made. I asked if the $5.95 a month would mean that they would clear up any problems or if I would have to initiate all changes. The CS Rep said I’d still have to call, so I pointed out how absurd that sounds. The rep didn’t say anything else.

Anyway, 30 minutes later my record was clear. That was 4 months ago…I checked all 3 not too long ago and they were clear. Such a hassle.

So I hope that your problem is just the “joining” of another file due to the one inaccuracy.

5. EMF says:

When I first checked my credit reports a couple of years ago, one of the agencies that starts with “E” had my credit history mixed up with that of someone else who has the same first name and apparently the same SSN except for one digit (a “4″ VS a “9″, which can also be confused if the handwriting is sloppy). But the report listed the other person’s name and SSN.

When I complained in writing, they corrected my report and stripped the other person’s info out.

6. yan says:

This is not a very encouraging new at all. I tend to agree with others, it doesn’t sound like a coincidence at all. Keep us informed on how things develop, and good luck!