General
comments

“United 93″ Trailer Sparks Outrage

I went to see Inside Man this past weekend, the bank heist thriller that was directed by Spike Lee and starred Denzel Washington, Clive Owen, and Jodie Foster; and one of the preview trailers was for a 9/11 movie called “United 93,” a movie depiction of the events aboard the flight that crashed in the Pennsylvanian countryside. Well apparently, when this same scenario was played out in Grauman’s Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, the audience didn’t react favorably.

I very much respect the director and writer, Paul Greengrass of “The Bourne Supremacy,” in that he sought and received the approval of every family of every victim and involved them in the making of the movie (in terms of accuracy). That being said, is it too soon? Would you go see it?

(I realize this has nothing to do with personal finance but there’s plenty of time for that later)

via MSNBC.

11 Responses to ““United 93″ Trailer Sparks Outrage”

1. Heidi Tighe says:

I would absolutely go see it.

2. RS says:

I too saw Inside Man this weekend and the trailer for Flight 93. I am ok with it and do not think that it is too soon. I also respect that he got the input from the families.

My wife and I are from NY, so 9/11 hit very close to home for us, but we will definitely be going to see it.

3. I watched the United 93 trailer online and I liked what I saw. No Hollywood actors is a definite plus. Mr. Greengrass is either very brave or very stupid to make a film like this. It has to be a good, perhaps even great, otherwise a lot of people will be upset. I would hope that a portion of the film’s profits will be given to a worthy 9-11 charity as well.

4. Tim MMF says:

I plan on seeing it. I don’t see why people are outraged. Movies have been made about every conflict, sometimes during the conflict (Vietnam).

5. KW says:

Having seen the trailer, this looks like another blindly patriotic movie that celebrates the same cliche we’ve heard for over four years now: namely, that of the one-dimensional terrorist characters and the courageous passengers that united the country.

That tagline “On the day we faced fear, we also found courage” pretty much tells me that this director is playing it safe. It doesn’t take much bravery to direct a film that preaches what the crowd wants to hear.

This film will probably please the popcorn-movie crowd that demand unambiguous heros and villains. But for those who seek deeper meanings and do not mind having their views challenged, this will fall way short.

I have a bit more faith in the World Trade Center movie by Oliver Stone, a director with record of being unafraid of controversy.

6. Matt says:

Um…KW? It’s a _true story_. “Unambiguous heros and villains” are not creatures of Hollywood. In fact, in the modern media climate, I’m surprised he was able to get the movie distributed without switching the characters around so that the terrorists come out as the good guys.

I doubt I’ll see it in the theater, but I’ll be looking forward to the DVD.

7. Amanda says:

I don’t think I’ll see it. I don’t have a problem with it, but I think it will be too disturbing.

8. Matt, I agree with you 100%. KW, do you have a soul? How can you call the story of a group of passengers who died trying to stop terrorists from killing innocent people a cliche?

9. J.E.Hess says:

I can’t believe that anyone could think it’s too soon. I for one will never forget nor be afraid to be reminded of the events of that day. If we are trying to forget then it will always be too soon and we’ve lost the battle already.

10. CV says:

There’s been two t.v. movies on this already. Pay to see it in a theater? No way.

11. Mike B says:

Thank you to Matt and William for their responses. KW, what is wrong with you? How can you belittle what happened on that plane that day by saying that this movie is nothing more than a patriotic crowd-pleasing cliche? It happened; this story is a depiction of what transpired on that plane. It is not a safe movie it is an accurate movie. Those people risked their lives to save countless others. There may be one-dimensional characters in this movie but there was a clear cut line between good and evil that day. Obviously, you have already forgotten that. Shame on you. You should be embarrassed for not only thinking that but then deciding to write it as well.