NEWS
comments

USPS Closing 250 Mail Processing Centers, Longer Ship Times

The USPS announced that it would be closing roughly 250 of the almost 500 mail processing centers across the nation starting as early as March 2012. This is in addition to the planned closing of 3700 local post offices. In total, approximately 100,000 postal employees could be fired. Interestingly enough, these are all steps that the USPS can take on its own without Congressional approval. Congressional approval is required for other items such as reducing delivery to five days a week (eliminating Saturday delivery), raising stamp prices, and adjusting other labor costs like health care.

These closure are expected to save the post office billions but will result in slower delivery (fewer processing centers = slower processing). First class mail is supposed to be delivered in one to three days, now it’ll take two to three days. Finally, all this happening is in the face of a one cent increase in first-class mail prices starting January 22nd.

Takeaway? Buy some Forever Stamps if you are running low, prices go up 2.27% next year.

10 Responses to “USPS Closing 250 Mail Processing Centers, Longer Ship Times”

1. Sun says:

Dude, I took that advice about Forever Stamps from 3 years ago. I still have them! Its like buying a gift card you will rarely use.

The building closures are a smart move by USPS. I hope they close the lands they lease and keep the ones they own. I couldn’t believe how much redundancy the USPS has. UPS and FedEx are smarter about their distribution routes. They only have to handle packages, but post office has to deliver junk mail to every house on the block.

The closures are good, but I also think they need to factor in the cost of driving (fuel & maintenance) from centralized locations to all the routes the carriers have to handle.

Honestly, I don’t think you’ll see much improvement until “legacy” employees retire or get bought out. USPS will face 50 year struggle I fear. For example, they had the APC (automated postal center) which was a big hit. Unfortunately, unions feared it would take away jobs, so they limited their deployment. The unions want inefficiencies at the USPS to save their jobs.

• Strebkr says:

I didn’t know that about the APC. It makes sense. I feel like every post office should have 3 of them, but it seems like every other post office I walk into doesn’t even have one.

2. Master Allan says:

Previous poster, funny, I was just thinking about the USPS and the APC before reading this article.

I was excited seeing them for the first time back in 2005. They were great, skip the line, or mail my ebay sales at midnight. But the USPS is an entity of habit and now I’m back to regretting anything involving “the post office”.

Just a few days ago I went to post office #1 to use the APC. Right at closing time the line was out the door and the APC was broken, again. Longer trip to post office #2 which has 4 APCs. Faster right? No, they are so slow it’s a five minute task from start to finish. Working in I.T. I suspect a thermal / computer speed throttling issue.

The USPS has more than a problem with expenditures, it’s an image problem with 20 and 30 somethings. Reducing services and issuing Lady Gaga stamps is not going to turn this around. I despise supporting the post office for ebay sales and very rarely for my own needs. It’s never a good experience: long lines, delays, inefficiencies, full package bins, limited mailing supplies, demotivated & slow working staff.

Back on topic – close ‘em. I think of the post office as VHS tapes, landlines, floppy disks, checks, or hang up calendars. Each year that goes by I think of them as less and less important till I dump them totally.

3. Shirley says:

I buy Forever stamps over the internet and rarely send packages. If I do need to visit the Post Office I get there right at opening time. I am up and about at that time anyway and there are no lines that way. :-)

4. Tony says:

So let me get this straight…more money, for lesser service. Yeah.

…and we wonder why the USPS is failing?

When will our government realize that quality > quantity?

5. Summer says:

It’s the constant attempt to pervert a public service into a for-profit business that is causing the post office to die.

The post office should be accepting public money and providing a public service in return, not trying to turn it into more money.

For those of you hoarding ‘forever stamps’ and bitching about the quality of the post office, enjoy paying $5000 per year for your unlimited DVD by Fedex or UPS (your CHOICE!) Netflix subscription in 2013.

6. Dave says:

Everyone, get the facts straight. The U.S. Postal Service is a semi-independent federal agency, mandated to be revenue-neutral. That is, it is supposed to break even, not make a profit. Because of the monopoly effect though, the government still has their hands in everything. Thats the real problem. The USPS has tried to make changes for years but the government keeps getting in the way. I’ll bet you also didn’t know that the USPS delivers thousands of Fed-ex and UPS packages every day so wishing it would go away is stupidity.

7. Scott says:

Wishing it to stay in its current state is stupidity. Any reductions in days delivered and not subsidizing local business is a good start.

Going to 3 day delivery & doubling up routes is also an idea.

8. Terrie says:

Since moving to Central Louisiana I have seen alot of post offices open that could stand to be shut down.We don’t use horse and buggie anymore.They are a few within 3-6 miles of each other.

9. Linda Crosby says:

I don’t understand why if you on a route you get mail delivered free,but if you live in town and need a Post office box you have to pay 96.00 a year for your mail? plus if you live in a town or city that has a walking route no charge for that also?