Personal Finance
comments

USPS Increases Cost of Postage for 2013

Forever Stamps IncreaseThe USPS will be increasing the cost of mail on January 27th, 2013 to help offset the losses as people use the post office less and less. If you’ll remember, we just increased the cost of stamps earlier this year by the exact same amount.

There will also be a few new products such as a First Class Mail Global Forever Stamp – a stamp that lets you mail letters anywhere in the world for a set price, just like the domestic version of the Forever Stamp. That will be priced at $1.10.

Here are the postage increases:

• Letters – 1 penny increase to 46 cents (additional ounces will remain at 20 cents each)
  • Postcards – 1 penny increase to 33 cents
  • Priority Mail Flat Rate Small box – 45 cents to $5.80
  • Priority Mail Flat Rate Medium box – $1 to $12.35
  • Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope – 45 cents to $5.60
  • Priority Mail Flat Rate Legal Envelope – 45 cents to $5.75
  • Priority Mail Flat Rate Padded Envelope – 65 cents to $5.90

January 27th is a Sunday so you’ll want to pick up a few Forever Stamps on the 26th or 25th (or ship then) to save a few cents on shipping.

16 Responses to “USPS Increases Cost of Postage for 2013”

1. shiela says:

the people that live in the US are amazing. I am sure that they will be griping about the increase. I have done a lot of traveling around the world,
    and the services and perks in the US are far superior. Imagine, gas at $9 a gallon, taxes at 58%, mailing a postcard at $ 2.87 per card, it goes on and on. wake up and appreciate what you have

• Lraetoo says:

I agree. Having lived overseas for a time, we do have a far more superior postal service. Adding 1 or 2 cents is reasonable as long as I continue to receive quality service.

• HP says:

I have done a lot of traveling too. Many of the European countries that charge that much for gas and taxes also have better public transportation and offer a lot more services to their citizens for free. I don’t mind paying a little more for my postage but I think it’s fair to belittle peoples concerns about rising prices just because other countries have a difference economic set up that makes their prices higher.

2. Tim says:

Priority with delivery conformation is act. going down !!
    Flat rate Envolpe with conformation is $5.90 now, going to $5.60 with conformation included.
    Conformation will be included on all package.

3. Ray says:

I stocked up last year right before the increase, and am just running out now, Maybe I’ll pick up a few books before the increase.

Thanks for the heads up!

4. Shirley says:

I did the same as Ray and will get another five books of stamps before Christmas. That seems to be becoming an annual thing for me. :-)

5. Jim M says:

Time to stock up!

6. Master Allan says:

The bigger issue here is the post office needs more money to offset losses from decreasing revenue. I think the USPS has an image problem with younger Americans. Mailing something today I feel as much enthusiasm at the post office as jury duty, the DMV, airport security, and so on.

Today on Saturday while standing in line for 20 minutes the front door was locked promptly at 12:30. Several customers over the next few minutes were turned away. I’m certain they were annoyed as I was standing in a long line with several unused service windows. I continuously think how I can avoid the post office by shipping less. It’s an aggravation like Monday morning rush hour traffic.

I think of other companies that were somewhat customer unfriendly from their sheer size. AOL…gone. Blockbuster…still around? The local phone company…haven’t used in years. I don’t claim to have the answers but if they desire my business they would on attracting customers not push them away.

• Shirley says:

Your analogy of going to the Post Office as compared to jury duty, DMV, etc is spot on. At our ages we simply do NOT stand in line any more by choice.

I will buy my needed forever stamps online and they will be delivered to my door.

If I need to ship anything I will go to the small ‘commercial’ post office where there are no lines, even though it may cost me a few cents more.

7. Ted Jenkin says:

Here’s what wont be forever . . . daily mail service. You can’t continue to lose billions of dollars and have the same daily postal service. I’m surprised rates haven’t gone through the roof yet. Within 5 years my bet is USPS service is down to three days a week.

8. freeby50 says:

” I’m surprised rates haven’t gone through the roof yet.”

THey aren’t allowed to. Congress dictates that the cost of postage can’t go up faster than inflation. Its one of the various reasons why the USPS is losing so much money. Congress has hobbled USPS in various ways and stops them from controlling costs or raising prices to fit the market.

9. BB says:

Why blame Congress…blame technology.
    USPS is losing business because it’s not needed
    as much. People can email, text, skype,
    or whatever technology is used now to
    communicate. Technology is also hindering
    USPS employment, and employment in other
    areas as well.

The USPS is also competing with more than one company such as UPS, and FedEx. In the past
    there was less to compete with.

10. Barb says:

I don’t see any increases listed for bulk mail. If the USPS added one cent to each bulk mail item, I am thinking they would get a lot more revenue.

11. Cindy says:

People seldom send letters or bills via the post office any more, but I send @ 25+ packages a month to ebay purchasers, not to mention items I purchase online. The cost of mailing these packages rises significantly every year and thus the profits for sellers decreases and forces more and more sellers out of the market which in turn decreases supply and increases the price of the remaining products. In the long run, no one wins.

12. tanyetta says:

I just purchased the Freedom Stamps. I wasn’t aware of the increase. I would have STOCKED up on a few more books. Thanks for the tip.

13. Tina says:

I also noticed the size of the flat rate priority envelope got a lot smaller, what next?? Maybe they should just go ahead and bankrupt..They need some competition who can force them to lower their rates.