Personal Finance
comments

USPS Online Change of Address Form

Before we bought our own home, I moved every single year. I hate moving. It seems like such a waste of time and resources but sometimes you don’t really have much of a choice. You had to pack up your things, load them up in to a truck (hopefully the U-Haul place didn’t leave you stranded by giving away your “reservation”), drive the truck, unload it, return the truck, and hope they don’t try to screw you with some fee or damage or whatever.

One thing that always worried me was changing my address at the post office because I wasn’t sure if they’d get everything right. When you fill out a paper form, someone has to key that back into the system… and hopefully they don’t fat finger it. Well now the USPS has an online change of address form. The best part is that you still get all those coupons (I remember doing this a bunch to get a Lowes 10% coupon!) that were in the booklet, plus you avoid a trip to the post office.

There’s a $1 fee, just like the hold mail service, but I think it’s worth it.

9 Responses to “USPS Online Change of Address Form”

1. Sadie says:

If you move and plan to VOTE in a future election, don’t forget to update “both” your

(1)mailing address
    (2)residence address

Important your election address has correct “mailing address” to notify you in event of precinct changes, etc. As result of Census Counts your precinct where you vote could very well change where you vote.

2. steve says:

My wife and I just used this feature this week. What’s interesting is that I rec’d a $10 off $50 & a $25 off $200 coupon from Lowes, but my wife just rec’d a blanket 10% off coupon. Not sure if it was due to her request being the 2nd one at the new location, or if it’s generated randomly. Either way, we’re not complaining… and they’ll be put to good use!

3. Cal says:

Yes that is nice, BUT when you have a postal service that can’t even begin to “start” this process for your deliveries it gets tiresome…

Took 4 times – twice at the post office and twice online… before we started to get our mail….

4. Noel says:

Update your address with FedEx and UPS as well.

We moved from county A to county B which is 2 counties south of county A in same state 2 years ago. During last thanksgiving, I ordered stuff from Macy’s online. They did not print apt number on the shipping label. UPS guy got confused and they shipped it to the old address in County A.

You would think why they would ship to an old address but thats what they did. Good that I caught it in time otherwise I would have lost the shipment for sure.
    (BTW, UPS has a online system where you can change shipment address when its on its way but it won’t let me register for last one year. Their IT system can not help me. They told me 9 months ago that they will escalate the issue and help me out. 2 phone calls of 30 mins each there after, I still can not register)

Long story short, change address at both these places too.

5. Online Change of Address has worked out well for me. My packets also had $125 and $150 bonuses for opening up bank accounts. If money is tight, these can help.

6. Heather says:

Some websites recommend selecting a six month “vacation hold” on your mail (renewable) instead of the change of address form, to cut down on junk mail. But if you want coupons, perhaps the junk mail is ok.

7. David says:

It would be good if they used it. I placed a hold on my mail online and I came back after a week and found that they had delivered my mail all week and finally on the day that I came back took my mail back to the post office. It took 2 days to track down my mail. I asked my postman and she said that they didn’t use the online information. They also don’t listen to voice mail that you leave at the post office. This is not a small post office, they serve well over 100,000 people. Why have it if they are not going to use it?

8. Sun says:

I used the USPS Online Change Address Form two times now. Both times the change address never got processed. #usps.fail

The paper request goes through reliably.