Banking, The Home 

Victim of Foreclosure Abuse? Consider a Foreclosure Review

Email  Print Print  

Foreclosure SignsMany homeowners found themselves facing foreclosure due to circumstances beyond their control — and even through mistakes made by lenders. Shady practices by various lenders have resulted in foreclosure abuse that has been coming to light. Earlier this year, a number of lenders reached a $26 billion settlement that requires them to take steps to redress some of the abuses that some homeowners have experienced.

That news made big waves while a smaller program was mostly overlooked. This other program allows homeowners to sign up for an Independent Foreclosure Review. That review, conducted according to guidelines set forth by the Federal Reserve and the Comptroller of the Currency, could result in up to $125,000 for homeowners who have suffered from foreclosure abuses.

What is the Independent Foreclosure Review?

This program is completely separate from the settlement that the largest lenders in the country agreed to with 49 states and the District of Columbia. Those who were victims of foreclosure abuse during the years 2009 and 2010 can apply for a review. The mortgage servicers that have agreed hire independent consultants to review abuses include HSBC, Bank of America, Citibank, Chase, PNC Mortgage, Wells Fargo, and MetLife Bank.

Homeowners who want to have their cases reviewed have until September 30, 2012 to apply for a review (the former deadline was July 31). So far, only a relative small number of cases have been submitted for review, and there are many more people eligible. Borrowers have been sent letters asking them to respond, and few have done so. Some of those who might be considered eligible for compensation due to mortgage abuses include:

  • Service members who lost their homes while on active duty
  • Homeowners put through foreclosure, even if they weren’t in default (including victims of robo-signing)
  • Issues related to loan modification that led to foreclosure
  • Homeowners experiencing foreclosure because of trial mortgage modification errors
  • Other problems and abuses

Compensation depends on whether or not you were able to get your home back. If you were able to get your home back after the foreclosure mess was cleared up, you might be eligible for $15,000. If you weren’t able to get your home back it’s possible to receive up to $125,000 — plus the value of your home’s equity at the time the foreclosure took place. This can be a great help to someone who has been struggling because of an unfair foreclosure. This is money that can be used to buy a new home (assuming things are cleared up to the point where foreclosure victims can qualify for a mortgage).

If you were the victim of foreclosure, you might be eligible to receive funds. An abused borrow can receive up to $125,000 plus the value of their home as a result of these abuses. If you have been foreclosed on, you might have been the victim of errors or other poor practices. In such cases, you might be entitled to compensation beyond what is offered by the $26 billion settlement. You can find more information by checking the Federal Reserve’s page on Independent Foreclosure Review.

(Photo: ImageMD)

{ 3 comments, please add your thoughts now! }

Related Posts

RSS Subscribe Like this article? Get all the latest articles sent to your email for free every day. Enter your email address and click "Subscribe." Your email will only be used for this daily subscription and you can unsubscribe anytime.

3 Responses to “Victim of Foreclosure Abuse? Consider a Foreclosure Review”

  1. zapeta says:

    I hope more people take advantage of this program and get the compensation they deserve!

  2. Anonymous says:

    I bought a model home with the guarantee from the builder that they would rent it back from me for 4 years. The builder left town and stopped paying. I could not rent the house to cover the loan so I ended up with a foreclosure. The second mortgage was sold to a collection agency and they are threatening to sue me for that 2nd loan if I don’t pay. What should I do to get help?

  3. Al says:

    Don’t you have to pay a flat service charge of 3% or some similar charge? That would make it an annual rate of 6%

Please Leave a Reply
Bargaineering Comment Policy

Previous Article: «
Next Article: »
Advertising Disclosure: Bargaineering may be compensated in exchange for featured placement of certain sponsored products and services, or your clicking on links posted on this website.
About | Contact Me | Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights | Terms of Use | Press
Copyright © 2016 by All rights reserved.