Personal Finance
comments

Go Vote!

I Voted

Remember to vote today… ten folks in Dixville Notch voted and it was the first tie ever at five votes a piece.

Get your sticker today and then tell us how it went! (even if you were smart voted early…)

17 Responses to “Go Vote!”

1. Glenn Lasher says:

Done.

You hear these stories about how this area or that has problems, long lines, or what have you. In some cases, these are predictable. In others, not so much. As such, to avoid the risk, I will typically go to the polls as early as I can.

That said, here in Schenectady, NY, there has never been a problem that I have experienced.

My polling place is for three election districts. It is within walking distance from all three, so it is located pretty close to the point where all three intersect. They use two scan-type electronic voting machines, so you get a paper ballot customized to your district, and there is a paper trail. They set up maybe a dozen booths for you to fill out the ballot, and then you go and stand in line (well, actually, no line this morning) to have your ballot scanned.

I find it a little anticlimactic, compared to the lever machines we used to have here, but I actually have more faith in this newer system because you can actually *see* the paper trail, whereas the lever machines required you to have faith in the clockwork behind them.

Interestingly enough, they had the privacy booths rigged up with battery-powered lights, where they had used plug-in lights in previous years. I suspect this was a thought that was put into place as a result of the problems they are having downstate.

2. Jim says:

I’ve never had a problem either and I tend to go between the morning crowd and the lunch crowd. We have someone coming by to quote us for a repair at 10am but after they go, I’ll be headed over to the polls.

3. Ryan says:

My sticker looks different. It says “I voted early.” ;)

Voting early was actually a breeze – very little wait time, and now I don’t have to worry about lines, or trying to fit it in during a busy work week. My wife and I were talking about it, and we think we will vote early every year. It’s much nicer.

4. Jim M says:

Waiting the morning out – my polling place is usually packed in the mornings. In ’08 I waited 2 hours! Hoping the afternoon will be better.

5. cubiclegeoff says:

I usually vote in the afternoon and it’s quick, but for a variety of reasons decided to go this morning. At 7:10 or so, ended up waiting about 35 minutes to vote (and it was 25 degrees outside for that wait). I didn’t expect that at all. And no one gave me a sticker after all of that.

6. Amy says:

Done. My husband and I went together. We arrived at our polling place just before 7 a.m. They seemed a bit disorganized. But, we were done by 7:05 ish.

7. Texas Wahoo says:

My wife and I waited over 2 hours at 7am in Northern Virginia. This is similar to our previous polling place 4 years ago (although I hear it was actually worse this year).

• James says:

Also in NoVA, we had about a 5 minute wait at 7 a.m. I have heard from co-workers that lines were pretty long at some places.

People missed out on a business opportunity; get a food cart and sell hot breakfast items, coffee, and hot chocolate to those cold souls waiting in long lines.

8. eric says:

Vote by mail all the way! ;)

9. Christian L. says:

My girlfriend and I had no wait at all. We both went at about 10:15 a.m. I was even greeted by a local candidate, which is pretty cool considering my polling place is in a rundown area.

Also, Columbia, Missouri seems to have very few electronic machines. This made me happy as I distrust those machines less than the ones that take my paper ballot.

-Christian L. @ Smart Military Money

• Ray says:

Can you really hang around the voting areas if your a candidate? Seems like there might be issues with campaigning at the booths.

• Christian L. says:

Ray,
        She was outside my polling place, probably a good 50 feet from the door. The law against electioneering prohibits handing out literature, talking with voters or posting signs within 25 feet of the polling place’s outside door.

She was easily 50 feet from the door. She was quite pleasant and had a firm handshake. She already had my vote, but it was a nice touch.

-Christian L. @ Smart Military Money

10. I did it. This morning, the line was only 10 people long.

11. Martha says:

I voted at 2:45 and it took ~5 minutes, shorter than previous non-presidential election years!

12. javi says:

I did early voting.. little wait until I voted.

13. Scott says:

Here in Washington state you vote by mail and they have a website where you can check to ensure your ballot has been received and verified. Very cool.

14. Shirley says:

I voted by mail about five days ago.

Hubby went at 8 AM yesterday and had no wait; in fact he was the only voter there! He was told he was the 10th voter and saw two cars coming in as he was leaving.