Your Take
comments

Your Take: Would You Consider Wedding Insurance?

Down the Aisle!I’ve heard of a lot of wacky types of insurance but here’s one that surprised me – wedding insurance. It’s the subject of Cameron Huddleston’s latest Kip Tips column, which, (not) coincidentally, was published after to the wedding of Prince William and Catherine Middleton. Wedding insurance is “special event insurance that provides reimbursement for nonrefundable deposits if the wedding needs to be canceled or postponed due to a natural disaster, death, illness, serious injury or other catastrophe listed in the policy.”

When we were married, the thought of wedding insurance never crossed our mind. Our event was held indoors but it was also held in February, which risked Mother Nature’s snowy wrath in Maryland. While everything went off without a hitch, I’m not entirely sure insurance would’ve been something we seriously considered had we even known about it. The biggest worry is that a service provider (caterer, photographer, florist, DJ, etc.) doesn’t show up, but in those cases you have legal means to get your deposit back, and in those cases it pays to do your homework on the vendor.

As we ramp up wedding season, does wedding insurance seem like a good idea? I’m inclined to say no.

(Photo: pinreader)

21 Responses to “Your Take: Would You Consider Wedding Insurance?”

1. Scott says:

Never knew this existed. Interesting you post this today as I’m headed to a wedding this evening.

2. Strebkr says:

For a price $$$, you can insure just about anything. There was a list out a few years ago about weird things that are insured. a singers voice, a taste testers tongue, etc

3. Courtney says:

I’m guessing “bride sleeping with the best man” is not a catastrophe listed in the policy coverage? :-)

4. Martha says:

I heard about it when we were planning our wedding, but decided against it. I wonder if it would be worth it for those who are planning weddings in the Outer Banks during this year’s hurricane season! Especially with NOAA’s above-average prediction for this season (http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2011/20110519_atlantichurricaneoutlook.html).

My grandparents had to move their wedding up a day since he was due to deploy on the next day! The story goes that everyone minus one couple was able to make it to the wedding… I doubt they had insurance then! :)

5. zapeta says:

I wouldn’t consider wedding insurance. As we know, most of these insurance coverages that are offered with no screening of the purchasers (travel insurance, for example) are just cash cows for the companies that sell the coverage and generally not a good deal for the consumer.

6. Alan says:

My Wedding insurance is not having an outdoor wedding :)

weddings are expensive enough…i wouldn’t throw money away from something that I probably wont get back…

7. tbork84 says:

Now is this a better or worse deal for the person buying it than an extended warranty? My take: wedding insurance only really covers one day rather than a one-two year period for an extended warranty. On that basis alone it works out to be less worthwhile than something I already consider to be a complete and utter waste of money.

8. cubiclegeoff says:

I don’t think I would do it (and I didn’t), but if someone was spending $50,000 or $100,000 or more on a wedding, I could maybe see it as a possibility. However, I didn’t pay for my wedding, so I never even thought of it, and my wedding was fine, although started late due to snow and transportation problems.

9. Liz Kay says:

I agree with Alan, even though like Jim I had a winter wedding in Maryland. My ‘insurance’ was a $20 white down parka I bought in case of inclement weather. But it was so unseasonably lovely that day I didn’t even wear a jacket, and we even took pictures outdoors.

Now, I’m sure we would be feeling very differently if our event had been scheduled a month later, during last February’s twin snowstorms …

10. Megan says:

I guess I can see how you might want wedding insurance if you spend $50,000 or $100,000, like cubiclegeoff said, but otherwise… seems like a waste of money.

I never would have considered it for my wedding. Sure it was March. In Michigan. But we knew that going in. *shrugs*

• skylog says:

i am with you. if you are talking large sums of money, i suppose it makes financial sense; but, to be honest, someone who is spending such large sums probably doesn’t even really think twice about it.

11. wedding insurance is a great option as the premium is very low and you are financially protected against things going wrong at the wedding (services like photographers, food suppliers, etc.)

12. billsnider says:

I know of three incidents where this would have helped.

In one case, a co-workers daughter called the wedding off the night before the wedding! The honeymoon was an expensive cruise which added to the pain.

In another, my neighbors future son-in-law called it off a few weeks prior. In a subsequent marraige to another guy, the catering hall closed doors two weeks before the wedding. The catering hall made sure they had no cash in the business when they shut. My neighbors had nothing to gain by suing.

Bill snider

13. Alex says:

Weddings seem to have drifted away from church hall receptions or getting married in your parent’s backyard to destination weddings and large scale extravaganzas. I think that if I were a young couple and were spending more than $10,000 of my own money on a wedding, I would consider it. As a parent, if I were paying for a wedding and had any doubts about it going off, I would definitely get wedding insurance. Things do happen – pictures get ruined, the cake is dropped, the dress doesn’t come in time, the couple change their mind the week before the wedding, the reception hall is double-booked.

I’m a big fan of small weddings, and have known people who put together lovely weddings in two weeks, complete with wedding dress, professional photographer, cake, flowers, live music, and a sit-down reception with an open bar for 50 people, all for well under $5,000.

14. Ralph says:

Insurance is good idea if you want to protect some asset. Here in wedding insurance the amount of money spent should be considered. If you are spending high amount of money or money from your future retirement funds (or other imp. source) then it is better to take wedding insurance to protect. Also the premium here will be very low as the risk is also low.

15. Marilyn says:

I wouldn’t but I also wouldn’t plan the extravagant weddings that so many people seem to have these days.

I also wouldn’t look at a law suit as a way to recoup money in the face of disaster. You might get a little money out of the suit but you also have to pay lawyers, court fees, etc. And that’s if the business has insurance or money to pay damages, which as billsnider points out isn’t a given. In that situation, it’s likely that insurance is a better idea than a law suit.

16. Strebkr says:

I feel like if you are signing up for wedding insurance in the sense that you might not get married, you might as well just start calling each other your future ex spouse.

17. No Debt MBA says:

I think it really depends on the person and their attitudes towards the wedding day. For those who intend to have an expensive and elaborate wedding where many things could go wrong insurance may be worthwhile especially if you have your heart set on the day being perfect. On the other hand a simple backyard wedding would probably negate any benefit from the policy.

18. freeby50 says:

It doesn’t seem the insurance would really cover much. It generally only pays out for “natural disaster, death, illness, serious injury or other catastrophe listed in the policy” And the ‘cold feet’ option is separate and only counts if the couple breaks up more than 180 days before the wedding.