The other night I mentioned to my fiancée that we could sign up for Stamps.com’s free 4 week trial and get $25 in postage, a digital scale, and $5 in supplies (the paper the stamps get printed on). $25 means we can send out over sixty letters absolutely free, but the only thing she cared about was whether those stamps would have the ugly bar code on it (yes it would, but I don’t think that barcode is ugly). I acquiesced, because $25 isn’t really worth the hassle and I already have a free scale from when I took advantage of this offer back in college, but that got me thinking about the USPS’s recent push of PhotoStamps at the post offices I’ve been to.
If the bar codes aren’t worth getting 60 letters for free, does putting a picture next to it make it worth paying $XXXX on top of the postage? So far, of the five or six invitations/save the date’s we’ve received, only one has used PhotoStamps and I honestly didn’t think anything of the stamps (I mean they were obviously a nice touch, but I’m someone who wouldn’t mind bar codes… a stamp is a stamp is a stamp).
What do you all think of PhotoStamps? Cute and worth the cost? A sign of minor excess?
- NCN hates credit cards, learn about how he lives without one.
- Read about how FMF almost saved $100k on a home.
- MightyBargainHunter has found a helluva bargain if you’re a fan of arcades, try buying your tokens somewhere other than the arcade!
- JLP talks to us about Black Monday 20 years ago. Scary retrospective.
- JD wants to know who you think is the best brick and mortar bank?
- Nickel signed up for Amazon Prime, Amazon’s $79/yr service where you can get free two day shipping with no purchase minimum. I think it’s a bit excessive, not because of the $79 fee but because it’s excessive to have someone ship you a batter when you can drive to the store to pick it up. I guess it’s a tradeoff between your gas and a truck/plane’s gas, the cardboard packaging, and all that crap inside.
- Become a portfolio manager and earn nearly half a mil for your time… just for being average.
- Jeremy asks readers, if you’re investing, how do you know you’re doing well?
- Quit your job and you can win $50,000 – read Money Smart Life to find out how!
- Lazy Man talks about brewing your own beer, it’s something I’ve been doing off and on every since college.
- SVB is terrible at taking vacations and talks about why.
- Sun wants to know if you’re a rate chaser… so, are you?
- Golbguru is glad oil prices are at record highs. I’m glad but for a totally different reason, environmental reasons. 🙂
- Have you read reviews of your homeowner’s insurance provider? Comparing some things on price alone is fair, but with insurance companies, when you’ll be dealing with them at the worst of times, it’s important to consider other factors as well.
- The weather’s been great so I’ve been grilling a lot, especially with the new Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker, and picked up a good tip: keep a secondary grill ready!
- Facing foreclosure? The climate is great for trying to negotiate a loan modification instead of going under. The numbers are looking bad for lenders so they’ll be looking to make more deals than normally.
- Check out these 9 dumb retirement moves.