Personal Finance
comments

Welcome New York Times Readers

I’d like to welcome all the visitors from the New York Times to my humble blog. As you may have read in the article by Elizabeth (scan of the print version, courtesy of Neville, also archived by a UMSL student or… resort to BugMeNot), this blog is about personal finance and I’ve tried to write in a way that someone clueless about money could understand. I would like to take this time to highlight some of my more interesting posts below, because sometimes they’re hard to find in the maze of archives:

All the tracking of my net worth is reported in this series of articles. I’m in no way trying to show off, which is why I didn’t add net worth until after a few months in at the request of some readers, but I’m just trying to show you how my financial decisions impact the big picture. Just as with anything online, take my numbers with a grain of salt because I could’ve miscalculated or my interpretation of net worth may be higher or lower than the consensus belief of what net worth should include.

Buying A Home – This is a journal, day by day, of how I went about buying my first (and only) home. It lists each article I wrote along with a little blurb as to what it’s about. It includes my thoughts from before I “hired” a buying agent to after I physically moved in. I think it’s pretty comprehensive, albeit long, but a good read for novice homebuyers. I learned a lot by writing it. I’ve also begun writing a series of articles, which I call a homebuying autopsy, where I review where I went wrong and what I could’ve improved.

Is AAA Worth It? – was and still is one of the most commented on articles I’ve ever written. I was debating whether or not to keep AAA service and lots of people weighed in. Despite all the positive comments (they were practically all in favor of keeping AAA), I went with the almighty dollar and nixed it.

The Beauty of Mutual Funds – One of my earlier articles, it’s the first one that ever had an external link to it from another blogger, JLP (a financial Planner in Texas) of AllThingsFinancial, who thought it was a good explanation of mutual funds. I also interviewed him (he’s a really friendly guy).

If you’d like to subscribe to the RSS Feed, you can do so with the buttons at the top right of the screen, and if you’d like to send me a personal message please feel free to use this contact form (I try to respond to messages within 24 hours). Thank you for visiting, enjoy your stay, and hope to see you back in the future!

[Oh, and if you're from HP, I could use a new laptop! :) ]

35 Responses to “Welcome New York Times Readers”

1. cristopher says:

hi! I just read about your blog on the NY Times; n i think it is a great idea! i ll try to follow your example to see if i can begin to save some money to buy some stuff.

thanks! good job!

Cristopher
    Costa Rica

2. Flexo says:

Excellent press! Congratulations!

3. jim says:

Thanks for the positive comments guys.

4. Malcolm says:

Just for comparison, a dental filling with resin (not amalgam) here (Philippines) costs $9.00.

5. Interesting blog. We’ve been using the Web to support our financial goals too, but in a slightly different way.

Cross Country Investment Club

6. carl weber says:

Jim: I just read about you in the New York Times and I admire your bravery for showing your financial underwear. I for one could never do it due to the fact if you have anything, number one people get jealous and call you cheap. To many Americans if you are not in debt to your eyeballs there is got to be something wrong. Its OK to have the car and the house; its not OK to have alot of money in the bank. One my ex friends found out how much I had in the bank and I could not believe the jealous reaction I received. Number two someone will always be trying take it away from you. Identity thievery is a cottage industry in this country.

7. jim says:

Unfortunately I don’t have that much money in the bank, I just bought a house, but thanks for the words of both encouragement and warning Carl.

8. lightme says:

I’d like to welcome all the visitors from the New York Times to my humble blog.

ohhh nice welcome, Hi Jim :)

9. Solid! You even got your picture in there, watch out for all the gold-diggers!

10. Jan says:

Hi,

My husband forwarded the NY Times article to me, and I in turn forwarded it to our daughter and my nephew, both around your age. I have not read your other blogs, but wondered if you read a book you could recommend that helped you on saving and investing. It’s wonderful to hear about a young person being financially responsible.

Thanks.

Jan

11. sam says:

well.. the only downer is you bought your house at the peak of the bubble primed to fall by around 50%..long term though, you should be fine.
    SAM

12. Congratulations for getting mentioned in the New York Times. Keep it up.

13. Jim, congratulations on the positive press!

cheers, nickel

14. Beth says:

Well, this is just what I’ve been looking for. Someone to talk to me about money! I am 55 years old and have made so many mistakes trying to manage my money during my lifetime. I can’t tell you how many “wrong” investments that I’ve made and how many stockbrokers who have made mistakes for me. I’m at the point where I’m actually AFRAID of money. And I’m probably back where I was when I was 25 years old with the amount of money I have on hand. Luckily, my house is almost paid for, but I have a lot less “earning” years ahead of me. Anyway, I’m here. THANKS!

15. Coy says:

Wow! good press and very brave to share this level of detail.
    Good Luck
    (Coy)

16. ncnblog says:

Congrats on the article. You do a great job with your blog!
    ncnblog.com

17. Neville says:

CONGRATS on your mention Jim!
    -Nev

For anyone that wants to see the actual print version of the times, you can check it out here:

18. Steve says:

I saw your item in the NYT. You appear to have your financial act together, more younger people should follow your example and disipline. Steve in Virginia.

19. djchuang.com says:

about my personal finances, not
    One of my personal core values is honesty, transparency, and vulnerability. While there are different nuances to each of those terms, and shades of different meanings, they are words that point to an ideal world where we can know things about one anot…

20. Congratulations on the great press!

To answer Jan’s question, one of the greatest first books on finance that I recommend to folks who are young and need to begin reading on finance is The Richest Man In Babylon.

21. speed_of_life says:

Great job!
    I am gonna be the most novice in all. I just read the article by Elizabeth and got so excited about everything about personal finances…I haven’t done anything but ‘ve been thinking of doing something…maybe i will start focusing on how my grandad’s mutual fund works and see if i can crank something up there…i m a cs major and feel excited the way Wang has been been handling his ficancial life…congrats you are a role model

22. jim says:

Thanks for all the positive comments but please don’t think I’ve achieved something incredible, it’s something everyone is capable of doing if they work diligently. I’ve never had a huge amount of credit card debt and changed my entire lifestyle in order to conquer it, that’s a role model. I just go to work, work hard, and am careful about where I spend my money.

23. Congratualtions on being featured in New York Times. That is a great accomplishment — I want to wish you all the best now and in the future with your blog.

24. CZ says:

Hi Jim
    The Richest Man In Babylon is the book that got me started years ago. I have been giving copys to people for years but few ever read it. What a shame, it is short and a great starter book. Larry Burkett Dept Free Living is the next book to read after The Richest Man In Babylon and then the Millionaire next door. I found this blog in the NY Times thanks.

25. Cap says:

quote: “[Oh, and if you’re from HP, I could use a new laptop! :) ]”

bwahaha