The Home
comments

What $300,000 + Will Buy You in Howard Co. (Baltimore)

That was the title of the post in which JLP posted a picture of a gorgeous house located in Houston. While I doubt he intended for something like this to go viral, I think it’s a fun comparative game along the lines of Cap’s What’s In Your Wallet so let’s see what $300,000 can buy you in Howard County, a county south of Baltimore and the one in which I live.

300k house in Jessup

This house (above, and you only get the one in the middle) is listed at a hair shy of $300k, compare it with JLP’s listed house (below) and you can start to see how undervalued one place is or how overvalued another place is. The home listed is also in Jessup, which is one of the more moderately/reasonably priced cities of Howard County.

300k house in Houston

If you post about what $300k can get you, email me, and I’ll add you to this linklist below:

9 Responses to “What $300,000 + Will Buy You in Howard Co. (Baltimore)”

1. Dave says:

Top idea!

Although from the North of the UK, I thought it would be more interesting to post about London…I managed to find a lovely little property … :o S

2. Kim says:

Oh, I hear that! We do live in Baltimore County so I know how crazy the housing prices can be. We sold our townhouse in Owings Mills about 2.5 years ago and just about 6 months ago they resold it for $100k more than what they bought it from us. That is just crazy!

3. Flexo says:

I did a quick search on Yahoo Real Estate… they have nothing in my town for $300,000.

4. See, Texas ain’t so bad after all…

5. Miller says:

I love the topic! Hopefully, others will be posting.

6. Cap says:

I dont think you can get anything with $300k in Orange County, California. heh.

I’ll check!

7. Anonymous says:

But who will you work for? What schools will your kids go to? What kind of taxes will you pay? What are utilities like? What is crime like? What about health and enviornmental conditions? Economic stability of the area? What about comuting? What about weather and natural disaster related expenses? What about racial, religious and idealogical tension? Will local gov’t or residential associations attempt to control all of your home improvements? What about access to culture and entertainment? What about your neighbors? You end up getting a lot more than a house when you buy a house.

8. jim says:

Anon – I totally agree, but it’s fun to compare the superficial things. :)