General, Personal Finance
comments

What did you get on Black Friday?

As you probably know, today is Black Friday and it’s the day that many retails go into the black on their books. Doors at many stores open at 5am to huge lines waiting for tremendous deals like a sub-$400 HP laptop from Walmart. So I wanted to know, do you take part in the festivities and if so, what did you get? I think eventually I’m going to drive on over to Staples and pick up a free after rebate paper shredder but I opted for the best gift of all, as much sleep as I wanted we hosted eighteen people for our first Thanksgiving dinner at the new house. Can’t buy good sleep… :)

8 Responses to “What did you get on Black Friday?”

1. Flexo says:

I’m catching a flight in California and returning home by about 9:00 pm local time, so I’ll be missing all of Black Friday. I’ll probably do my shopping on Sunday, and I’ll be getting something special for my girlfriend and a few other small gifts like the Chronicles of Narnia for my brother, who surprisingly never read it as a child or forgot he did…

2. Neo says:

I was up at 3:00am and I arrived at the local Wal-Mart by 3:30am. At that point, there were already a couple hundred people ahead of me. Once the doors opened at 5:00am, those people interested in the the HP notebook, desktop or the flat screen TV got into yet another line inside the store. Due to the number of people ahead of me at this point, I was pretty sure I wasn’t going to be getting a notebook. At 6:15am, I knew for sure when they announced they were all sold out. Oh well… Maybe the big computer manufactures will have some deals online as we get closer to Christmas.

3. mbhunter says:

Neo, that’s crazy (the demand, not you).

I didn’t get anything today. Never left the house. Just as well, because of the sheer violence some cities saw. Absolutely ridiculous!

4. Neo says:

I was pretty sure I wouldn’t be getting anything once I arrived at the store and saw so many people ahead of me. The funny thing is that the conversation in the lines typically consisted of “Did you see the deal on the laptop?”. I actually spoke with a few people standing around me and none of them really knew what they were getting. They just knew it was a laptop and cost less than $400. The worse part of it all was that Wal-Mart was allowing families to purchase more than one. I saw a few poeple walk by and the parents each had one as well as the kid. Did they all really each need one? Oh well, I am sure they are planning to resell them and make a buck.

5. jim says:

This is why I never understood why companies were angry when websites revealed Black Friday deals early… all the hype created made people who might have needed something go out and buy it. Does a family of three really need THREE laptops? Probably not.

6. john says:

I wonder how many people who rush to those sales don’t just turn ‘em around the next day and try to sell ‘em online?

In terms of financial prosperity, I am developing a website that offers consumer reviews on debt consolidation companies. Does anyone have any suggestions on which companies are the best and which ones are the worst?

Thanks,

John

7. Joshua K says:

I’m glad I didn’t fight Wally World for the notebook. I considered best-buy for the $150 e-machine, but figured I should hang on to my cash since my wife’s heading to Florida to see our first nephew. However, I did pick up a great deal on a 1gb Verbatim Store’n'Go at officemax for $40. I’d been wanting one for awhile, and I’ve already found it useful for taking stuff to mom’s place :)

8. Ed says:

I was at my local WalMart at 3am was lucky enough to have gotten one of the $378 laptops! It is actually very nice for the money.