Your Take
comments

Your Take: What Is Your Dream Job?

Space ShuttleWith the economy pretty much sucking, despite “green shoots”, I thought it would be fun to completely ignore it and turn towards the fanciful.

I want to know – what is your dream job? If nothing were off the table, what would you, beyond all other things, like to be doing? Is it finding a cure for a currently incurable disease? Is it playing in a professional sports league like the NFL, NBA, MLB, or NBPL?

My dream job would be as an astronaut. I would love to have the opportunity to go into space and do something very few people can do today, but millions upon millions will likely be able to do within the next hundred years. It’s the final frontier after all!

What is your dream job?

(Photo: pmarkham)

65 Responses to “Your Take: What Is Your Dream Job?”

1. Dave says:

Damn you! You stole mine! I wouldn’t want to be a “regular” astronaut however, I would want to be one who had the chance to “explore” our solar system – like be on the first mission to mars, etc.

2. Kathryn says:

I’d love to be a purchaser for a large company .. saving them buckets of money on things like cell phone plans, computers, supplies, etc. I love researching ways to save money without it changing service.

I’d also love to work for a large company as a financial coach to employees; a service that the HR department might run as an added benefit to employees.

3. I’d like to ditch the day job and become a novelist.

Until then, I’m writing short stories on my blog every Friday :)

4. Fairy Dust says:

Nothing particularly lofty – I’d like to own a small bookstore/coffee shop (and probably live alone, with a cat, in the apartment above it. :) If I could do that in London, that would be even better!

5. Jessica says:

Funny you chose astronaut since I’m an aerospace engineer! I work in the design and analysis of planes and helicopters though and will never ever go into space. It’s a great job and I do love it (most of the time) but if I could pick anything…

I’d do something you can do anywhere in the country so I could move away from flat, hot, strip mall laden Texas and some place I can be outside more and my job could bring me outside where I’m my own boss. Exactly why my fiance and I are working on a plan to open up a doggy day camp/boarding in Oregon (my fiance used to live there and we have a rental house there). I know there’s more to it than this but seriously, how awesome would it be to play with dogs all day?!?!

6. Patrick says:

Not socially responsible or reflective of my intellectual curiousity, but Quarterback for the Green Bay Packers is my dream job. I’d settle for a professional golfer as a close second. With my athletic abilities, both are definitely dreams. :)

7. Matt_SF says:

Major League Baseball stats keeper!

Combines all the necessities in life: ballpark hot dogs, stale beer, and a four hour excuse to get away from the wife/girlfriend.

8. aintdeb says:

My dream job is to not have one….. just live on a farm and raise chickens, cows, and a garden.

9. eric says:

Get paid for relaxation. *daydreams*

10. Brad says:

I’d like to be an HR recruiting headhunter for prime strip clubs. I could go to work pretty darn happy every day.

11. Jon says:

Anthony Bourdain’s superhero sidekick.

12. Traveling Blogger. I’d love to see the world and I really enjoy blogging.

It’s on my list of things to do.

13. C.J. says:

My dream job would be to travel the world and tell people abou the love of Christ!

14. ladytr0uble says:

My dream job is to own and operate my own yarn store.

15. Damon Day says:

For me, it would have to be playing in the NBA. A 5,11″ white guy with no hops. However, in my dream, I can somehow make every shot that I throw up, making me a serious threat that everyone has to worry about. :-)

16. Geoff says:

Interesting how the many of the dream jobs above are achievable.

I would be a professional sailor, like America’s Cup, not the navy kind.

17. stuarsj says:

Mine would definitely be a proffessional golfer. I would make Tiger look silly.

18. superch665 says:

Review amusement parks / writer of amusement park guides. Believe it or not, there are people who do this – ride roller coasters and have fun, then write about it. How cool is that?

19. Patrick says:

My dream job would be volunteering full time. I would love to spend time giving back to the community and giving up my current job.

20. Suzanne1946 says:

My dream job would be a dog walker/sitter in my home when I retire hopefully within the next 3 years.

21. Anthony says:

I wouldn’t mind having Jim’s job… LOL. :)

Actually, despite the stress and the occassional “short deadline” projects, I like the job that I am in. I make my own hours, am in the office 50% of the time, am out and about the other 50%, and get to interface with customers. I am engineer for system-level design. Awesome job right out of college!

22. Alina says:

My dream job would be to be independently wealthy…not to ever have to worry about money and open a home for runaway kids, and run a bed and breakfast in the North Carolina mountains. Cooking for everyone and listening to people’s life stories and writing about them. I love to tell stories and listen to people’s life stories. The ups and downs, the tragedies and happiness, the good, the bad and the ugly.

23. Bradford says:

This will likely sound crazy, but after years I have my dream job (I mean, if you just have to work!). I’m a proofreader for a company that issues nicely-produced editions of classic literature, and my job is to make sure the newly-typeset version matches exactly the old one chosen to reprint. Which means I get to spend my working hours at home, face-to-face with great writing (and great writers), while using everything I’ve ever learned as a lifelong English major. My only regret about my work is that I don’t have more. It isn’t as adventurous as being an astronaut, but I’ve been around the Universe.

24. Joey says:

I just got my masters degree in psychology. What I would really like to do for my dream job is to work as an industrial psychologist/consultant for businesses and agencies. Unfortunately I live in a small city and not too many people around here even know what all that means!

25. Foobarista says:

God Emperor of the Known Universe. Or, if not that, an independently wealthy guy running a little dive boat in the Caymans or Maui.