Personal Finance
comments

Wow, Another Reason I LUV Southwest

Right now we’re sitting on a two hour layover in Oakland, CA on our way to Hawaii for our honeymoon. Our trip thus far has taken us through Kansas City on Southwest and we were reminded once again why Southwest is easily my favorite airline. We were the only two people on the flight from Baltimore to Kansas City that would continue on to Oakland and we arrived ten minutes early so we had some time to chat with the flight crew. They asked us where we were going and my wife said we were flying onto Honolulu for our honeymoon. They said their congratulations and we thanked them, everyone smiling all around, and we thought nothing of it. A new flight crew came on board to help the first flight crew clean up and then we were on our way. About five minutes before we were to land in Oakland, the a member of the flight crew came on the PA and said “We wanted to congratulate two of our passengers who recently got married, everyone please give them a round of applause!” There was clapping all around, some more congratulations, and then one of the crew walked over and gave us a bottle of Korbel champagne!

Before you cynics out there chalk it up to something devious, you have to know one thing… you can’t actually buy champagne on board. This wasn’t someone just grabbing one of a million bottles and handing it to us in a nice gesture, this was far more than that. One of the Baltimore-to-Kansas City flight attendants had to have picked it up and passed it onto the new flight crew. That’s some serious customer service, I have never heard of anything like that.

So, in addition to fares that can’t be beat, a speedy seating policy (some might call it herding but I have absolutely no problem with it, you can’t expect great fares and to be coddled), great flight crew attitudes and company personality, you can add on a personal touch that you can’t get from many airlines, budget or otherwise.

So Southwest, that’s why we LUV’d you before and why we will continue to LUV you. And if there’s an executive out there, the crews were the ones on Flight 1945 out of Baltimore at 1:05PM and the crew on the continuation leg from Kansas City to Oakland, they deserve some serious kudos. Thanks!

(As a testament to technology, I’m writing about this from the Oakland terminal… the above said act just happened about an hour ago)

10 Responses to “Wow, Another Reason I LUV Southwest”

1. That’s a great story. I haven’t flown Southwest in quite some time, but it’s encouraging to hear that some people still know how to make a customer feel special.

Congratulations from me as well!

2. Kira says:

I LUV Southwest too! FYI – Southwest/ATA is having a promo right now that doubles your points. So the 2 Southwest credits you are earning EACH WAY now becomes 4 – which makes 8 credits round trip for each of you – half way to a free flight! (I used this promo to go visit my Dad in Hawaii last February. The round trip ticket from PHX was $343 and I earned 8 rapid rewards credits.)

3. Cap says:

wow. definitely a pro customer service atmosphere. have a good one mate :D

4. paidtwice says:

Congrats!

We got champagne on our honeymoon flight too. How cute! We brought the bottle to the hotel to drink it. lol

We flew Northwest, though.

5. Posco says:

Similar experience after our engagement a few years ago… actually two experiences.

After a little engagement vacation, we were at the airport waiting to board our Southwest flight to LAX. We both were so excitedly calling our friends that we actually forgot to board. We literally watched our plane leave from the gate. A few minutes later, I realized our mistake. The gate agent whisked us to a neighboring gate where a flight was leaving for Burbank, CA in ten minutes. No change fee. No re-ticketing. No hassle. We even got to sit together.

After we boarded, my wife stole away and told a crew member that we had just gotten engaged. To my surprise a few minutes later, they congratulated us over the PA and presented us with a bottle of champagne and Southwest luggage tags. SWEET!

6. Patrick says:

Congrats, and enjoyt the honeymoon! :)

7. MoneyNing says:

Wow good for you! Enjoy your honeymoon!

8. Wish we had Southwest here, but they don’t fly to our area. Enjoy your honeymoon!

9. Meg says:

I love Southwest too. Always the most pleasant, helpful people. I love that you can change your flight anytime (like the day of the flight) with a simple phone call. No fees, no re-ticketing. And if you don’t use your ticket (like you miss your flight, or it’s canceled), you don’t even have to call or do anything; the ticket will just be held in your account (online) to be transferred to any future flight you may decide to purchase.

10. Benny Rogers says:

I really like their new boarding policy. While it is a little bit less egalitarian, I am quite pleased to not have to stand for an hour before the flight.