Personal Finance
comments

Your Take: New Year’s Resolutions?

For many, 2011 was a struggle (much like 2010) as the economic troubles of our broader economy continued to bear down on everyone. Fortunately, that’s behind us and we can all look towards a better 2012. That said, with a new year comes the classic talk of resolutions. Do you have any new year’s resolutions?

To be perfectly honest, I’m not a big fan of resolutions, especially the ones around the New Year’s… I find the whole idea of changing because of an arbitrary date to be a little, well, arbitrary. That said, I think that if you want to make changes in your life, you should do it however you feel like doing it – including waiting for large date milestones like a new year. One thing that I do find a little humorous is that the gym gets packed for the first few months of the year before tapering off around March. :)

Instead of resolutions, I try to set goals for myself for the new year in terms of what I want to accomplish. I keep most of those for myself but the one that I will share involves golf. I picked up golf two years ago and I have discovered it’s an incredibly fun and incredibly frustrating game. According to the site oobgolf.com, on my last 20 scores, my handicap is a 15 and I hit fairways around 38% of the time (20% greens in regulation). My goal this year is to hit 50% fairways and 25% greens in regulation with a handicap of 12. I think it’s an aggressive target but it’s always good to work towards something, right? (yes, having goals around a sport/hobby like golf can seem a little capricious but it’s my resolution and I’ll set it however I want!)

Do you have any resolutions or goals for this year?

12 Responses to “Your Take: New Year’s Resolutions?”

1. Scott says:

New Year Resolution: Stop drinking bad beer. (Still defining exactly what constitutes good/bad beer but in general all light beer is bad and all German and Belgian beer is good.) Quality over quantity.

2. cvargo says:

HELLO fellow oober! I always have goals for golf each year…. I am a fairly new golfer as well (such a great sport, finacially for 2012 my goal is to buy a house and stop renting.

3. cubiclegeoff says:

I don’t bother anymore since I could make lofty goals, but won’t reach them, or won’t even bother attempting to. So instead, I’ll just continue on my path that is constantly being tweaked and upgraded.

4. Meri says:

I totally agree with you. I don’t need a set date to reach my goals. I have a couple issues i’d like to solve, but it will be when I’m ready.

Thanks for the great article!

5. Anonymous says:

I quit smoking over 100 times, many times at New Years. The goal was finally achieved. I think the resolutions helped.

6. eric says:

Never been in the habit of making any but I always have some goals I’m working towards!

7. There is another reason for the gym to be packed this time of year. I don’t like the cold and it’s warmer in there. :)

8. zapeta says:

I’ve got no resolutions set, but I am working on several self-improvement projects. I’m not one to wait for Jan 1 to start on something, I figure it makes more sense to start on these kinds of things as soon as possible!

9. Eli says:

I always resolve to use all my vacation days, esp. as they don’t carry over, but it hasn’t happened yet. Also, after reading an article on Slate, I’m going to try to learn how to program via free online tutorials at codeyear.com.

The Slate article:

10. Jeff Crews says:

I would have to say one of my New Year’s resolutions would be to put set a monthly thing to look forward to (i.e. Gadget, Trip, etc) and then save a little each week towards that. 1. Not only will I keep from spending on impulse but 2. I will be able to accomplish these goals without any debt.

11. Shirley says:

A neighbor and I have resolved to go to lunch together once a month. We had such a good time and a wonderful visit this month that we now both want to do it every month. :-)