Your Take
comments

Your Take: Are You a Cat or Dog Person?

Cute Cat Cute Puppy

I’m a dog person myself, though I’m not an anti-cat person… I just happen to be allergic to cats. :)

I’ve always liked dogs because you can play with dogs. You can throw toys with them, you can chase them around, they can chase you around, and they’re a lot of fun. You can’t really “play” with a cat outside of flicking around stuff for them to try to scratch.

Are you a cat person or a dog person? Or perhaps you are a hamster, rabbit, or hedgehog person?

(Puppy photo: klash, Cat photo: dougwoods)

31 Responses to “Your Take: Are You a Cat or Dog Person?”

1. Jon says:

I’m a “both” person and you can indeed play with cats (I have 2). One of them will fetch Mardi Gras beads that have been thrown down the stairs and bring them back up. :) I’d love to have a dog, but I wouldn’t feel good about leaving one home alone all day, whereas the cats could care less.

2. I always used to be a dog person, and derided cats as inferior pets, akin to whiny, destructive pieces of furniture. That was until, of course, I got married and my wife’s cat came as part of the package. All of a sudden, I found myself actually enjoying the company of cats. We ended up adopting two kittens a while later and I think I can safely say that I’m now a full-fledged “cat person”.

You can definitely play with dogs a little more, but cats have their own playful ways as well. They’re affectionate in a much more complex manner, and I find it fascinating to watch their hunting instincts show. I still love dogs, but cats have taken my top spot at pet of choice (or right behind a monkey of some sort).

3. Tyler says:

I like both. Cat’s when kittens are great to play with, they are fun to have lay on your lap and pet when they are older.

Dogs are great because they fetch.

Though Dogs beg if not properly trained lol.

If the girlfriend wasnt allergic to cats I’d have one.. though looks like later we might get a dog.

4. Glenn Lasher says:

I’m a “both” person, also. I used to prefer dogs, however, it quickly occurred to me that dogs are much higher-maintenance than cats. Growing up, we had one of each.

At present, we have cats. In the end, dogs are good workers and faithful companions, but the emotional and intellectual complexity of cats makes them more interesting, at least as far as I am concerned.

5. Glenn Lasher says:

Tyler posted while I was typing . . .

Cats can also be trained to play fetch (much more difficult). Annoyingly, though, they beg just as much as a dog. It is not as apparent because cats are typically smaller, and so it makes it a little more difficult for them to make a nuisance of themselves, but believe me, they do beg, and it’s harder to get them to stop it.

6. A.J. says:

I have a small parrot! He’s very acrobatic and cuddly, but he doesn’t talk.

7. Michele says:

I have had both in the past but I prefer cats. They are very affectionate but not needy. They play fetch. I have one cat that likes to play with the shadows on the wall, and then there are the laser lights.

They can be left overnight with no adverse problems, and vacations are a matter of asking someone to come over, make sure there is food and water and maybe scoop a litter box if you are gone more than a weekend.

I love dogs too but they are too high maintenance for my life

8. Love dogs (own two) and hate cats (arrogant and stink up the house). Do cat owners actually become immune to that oppressive litter box smell in their homes?

9. Jon says:

If you keep the litter box clean, it doesn’t smell.

10. Jim-

Because I have for most of my life lived in the city I am a cat person – I had as many as 4 but am not down to one. When I lived in the country we did have a dog – and I miss it. As soon as I move out of NJ to the PA country I will get a dog again.

You can play with cats! I had one that would fetch for me – just like a dog. I would throw a small ball and the cat would retrieve it and bring it back to me.

TWTP

11. Sheila says:

I’m a dog person. To be more specific, I’m a wiener dog snob. Dachshunds rule! :-)

12. Laura says:

I grew up with both, but I’m a cat person. I love dogs but right now I can’t give them the time and space that they need. My husband and I do a lot of last minute things and having a cat works with our lifestyle now.

13. JimmyDaGeek says:

I’m a dog person. I like an animal I can interact with, one that seeks me out, one that I can roughhouse with. I don’t own a dog now because I don’t have a fenced yard so that I can leave a dog outside so I don’t have to walk it when I not around for the day. My wife likes cats so that’s what we have. It’s an outdoor cat and quite mouthy about what it wants.

14. Diane says:

I’ve always been a dog person – we never had cats growing up. I’ve had dogs all my life. After being adopted by a stray cat about 10 years ago, I was won over! When that cat died we got a kitten (now 3 years old) but she is not as friendly and affectionate as the stray that adopted us. We still love her though…

When our 15 year old dog died in June, I seriously considered just having the cat, but after a couple of months we really missed having a dog, so now we have a new puppy.

It depends a lot on your circumstances – cats are less work and they can be left alone for a few days with food, water & a litter box. Dogs require daily care and if you travel someone must come in to care for them or they have to be boarded. Dogs require more time, attention and training.

Each has its good & bad points. I really love having both!

15. Stacy says:

I’m a cat person. I grew up with both and I agree that cats are more complex. Cats have a certain dignity which doesn’t exist with dogs. They are much more low maintenance and cats don’t usually smell bad, although, the litter can smell if it isn’t maintained properly. Most dogs do smell in my opinion. Maybe people don’t bathe them as often as they should or take care of their teeth, but my boyfriends dog smells bad all the time. I think dog owners are immune to the stink of their dogs in some cases.

16. Miss M says:

Dogs all the way, I’m allergic to cats though I think they are cute and interesting. We have enough outdoor cats hanging around the property I get my fill. We have 4 dogs right now, 3 boston terrors and a foster chihuahua who is going with my dad come christmas. 4 is insane, I never planned to have so many it just kinda happened. They can be a lot of work but they are a lot of fun as well. The vet bills are outrageous, I’ve spent about $1500 at the vet this month and will spend $1500 next month on a surgery.

17. Mrs Groovy says:

Dogs rule, cats drool! No just kidding they’re both groovy but I prefer my dogs. I like that my dogs are excited to see me when I’ve been gone.

18. I like dogs because of all of the above but don’t have the inclination for all the maintenance (walking and cleaning behind the dog from walking, etc.). You can’t really leave a dog alone for a weekend while you go away (or even longer).

My wife has always had cats but I’m “just OK” with the one we have left (the first one died from old age and a detached retina). The remaining one got a broken leg and nearly broke the bank with vet surgery and recovery and so on. Thank God, I had some money in the bank.

Pets, generally, aren’t as expensive as human kids but almost.

19. Patrick says:

I’m an animal person. I love both dogs and cats. The only problem with dogs is that they require more attention and need to be walked every morning. This is a good and a bad thing depending on what situation you are in. Right now I have a cat, but I do want a dog in the future.

20. Eric N. says:

lol this is such a random post! (and yet it got so many replies….) :-P

I can live without pets but I would choose dogs since you get more interaction (though cats are a lot more self-sufficient!)

21. Jeff Rose says:

Got to go with dog on this one. Have a boxer named Klaya after Cassius Clay. Just added an “a” and changed the C to K and wa-la. She lays on me every night when she sleeps and competes for space in the bed with me and my wife.

22. Peter says:

I’ve never been a cat person, mainly because I’m allergic to cats. Of course cats seem to somehow realize I’m allergic, and as soon as I show up make a b-line straight for me.. I slept over at a friends house one time and woke up to find the cat sleeping…. on my face. Needless to say i had quite an allergic day that day.

We have a dog- a little 9 lb shih-tzu that thinks she’s a cat. She likes to crawl around on the back of the sofa like a cat, and peer out the windows. So we have the best of both worlds… a dog that thinks its a cat.

23. I used to be a dog person but a few years ago a stray cat kept hanging around our house and we eventually ended up taking her in. She completely changed my opinion of cats. She had her own unique personality and loved nothing more than jumping up onto the sofa and playing games with us despite her age.

Unfortunately she developed a tumour and had to be put down last year but she left a lasting impression and is still sorely missed in our house.

24. Emily says:

I’m such a dog person. I have a cat only because in college I wanted a pet and my mom said I wasn’t ready for a dog yet, so she let me have the family cat (they didn’t like each other much). I got bored with him really fast — he’s really independent, not affectionate very often, and he throws up a lot! I had grown up with dogs all my life and really missed that companionship, so I started fostering dogs as a test run to see if I was ready for it. I decided I was, and adopted my fifth foster dog. I have had her almost 2 years now and I just love her to pieces. Yes, she is expensive, and can be a big pain in the butt sometimes (I have to base much of my schedule around her and have to find plans for her when leaving town) but she is an incredible companion. I live alone and she makes me feel more safe and less lonely. She is small and snuggly but loves going on long walks and is very sociable. She makes my cat look worthless :)

25. april says:

We have 3 dogs and 4 cats. I feel very fortunate to have this much love under one roof.