Your Take
comments

Your Take: Name Your Favorite Bank or Credit Union

ATMThe recent economy woes have not been kind to banks. It seems like every weekend a bank is failing (over 60 so far this year) and mainstream media is piling on. Four of the thirty two companies in Consumerist Worst Company in America 2010 bracket are financial services companies. Chase, Citi, Capital One, and Bank of America, an eventual Final Four participant (though none of them stood a chance against Ticketmaster for sheer “worstness”). Slamming a bank is just too easy… but it’s also a little unfair.

Remember, for all the crap large banks take, many people would not own their homes without them. How many people locked in low interest rate mortgages they could afford and now live happily in a home they make regular payments on? We tend to focus on the bad, looking for scapegoats for our woes, when things aren’t really that bad. 10% unemployment is certainly not good, but that means 90% of people are still working.

So today, I want you know your favorite bank or credit union. It can be a local bank that is active in the community. It can be a huge megabank that treats you well. Maybe you’re a fan of PNC Bank, cited as having the most positive recommendations by marketing firm Zócalo Group and research firm M/A/R/C Research.

Who is it? Or do you have no favorite?

(Photo: catatronic)

62 Responses to “Your Take: Name Your Favorite Bank or Credit Union”

1. Sean says:

My favorites are my local Credit Union Nassau Educators Federal Credit Union in NY and the other is Amplify Federal Credit Union in Austin. Nassau offers top rates and services and Amplify isn’t bad either, but I mainly use them as a hub since I moved cause of their good tech services. Not one problem.

2. Dee in DC says:

PNC (free ATMs, no fees with direct deposit & bill pay), Navy Federal Credit Union for everything else

3. Anne Doherty says:

My husband & I joined Navy Federal Credit Union 54 years ago when we married. We are still members as well as our 4 children who are in their 40′s and married. NFCU has never let us down.

4. ralah says:

just love the Federal Reserve, biggest PRIVATE bank in USA

5. Kathy says:

I use USAA banking services. They are amazing. I know it’s limited to military etc., but I just had to post how happy I am as a customer.

• Paul says:

I have been with USAA forever because of my dad being in the military. We have always had great service etc. with them. If I’m correct they no longer limit service to military only. Those interested should check them out.

6. I have had good luck with ING bank. You can link up to 4 accounts so that is nice. I also have a Sharebuilder account so I have that linked as well.

The interest is not great but it keeps pace with most of the other banks.

7. ralah says:

Federal Reserve Bank

8. hoht says:

Mountain America Credit Union

9. Shirley says:

My favorite bank for checking is our local county Federal Credit Union. We also keep small savings accounts there for possible immediate need, and savings accounts for each of the grandkids.

This is a smallish town and many of the staff are people we know. Forty-seven years there also leads to friendly acquaintances. We always get top-notch service there.

ING is my favorite Savings account bank for ease of online use and better than my CU rates. Telephone queries have always been courteous, helpful, friendly and personal feeling.

10. I have no favorites. Just an enemies list.

Jim, this rant may be of interest to you and bargaineering readers: (http://tinyurl.com/23353dr)

I’m going to need a new credit card. Please link me to your latest on the best cards.

Thanks

11. aua868s says:

my choice Firs Tech Credit Union…first 3 cashiers checks free and all document notarizing free.

12. Glenn Lasher says:

Mohawk Progressive FCU. It was originally founded for the electric utility workers in Schenectady, NY, and later expanded out to the whole Capital District. I have a very short account number, and all of the staff know both me and my wife on sight, and by voice when we call. You can’t get any better than that from a customer service point of view.

13. zapeta says:

My local credit union and ING are my favorites.

14. Marcie says:

Definitely USAA!

15. HSBC for international needs, and Key Bank when at home.

The worst? B of A, hands down.

16. Jake says:

Nobody mentioned Charles Schwab Bank – it has the best financial products, top-notch customer service (just like USAA!), AND excellent rates for savings/checking accounts. Plus, they have a credit card with 2% cashback on everything. I consolidated all of my accounts – checking, savings, Roth IRA, other investments and a credit card – all the Schwab and have never looked back!

17. Ann McD says:

I use Glass City Credit Union, based out of Toledo, Ohio. Everything I’ve ever done, from loans to managing accounts, has been easy plus I get 3% (!!!!!) interest on my checking account.

18. eric says:

Well I’m pretty sure local banks and credit unions are people’s favorite because of the personal rapport you tend to develop with them. I haven’t had any huge negative experiences with big banks. I have BoA and Citibank and both have been fine for my purposes.

19. fred says:

I like Connexus Credit Union because of their 3.05% checking account and helpful staff. You don’t have to live in the area to become a member and they refund the ATM withdrawal fees up to $25/mo.

20. Electricguru says:

Bank of America

21. thunderthighs says:

ING Direct has never even so much as raised my blood pressure.

22. Stephen says:

USAA! Top notch service.

23. Ann Marie says:

I love my credit union and would never bank at another financial institution. They treat me like the member I am and not someone to make money from like a bank does. Banks in my opinion are all about greed.

24. Steve says:

I’ve had USAA for 4 years. I just signed up for PenFed moments ago because of all the good things I’ve heard about them. Plus I wanted to be a voting member of a military-oriented credit union. USAA is by far greater in my opinion, I do everything with them like CDs, Insurance, Checking, Savings, Credit Cards, credit monitoring, and my investments. But since I’m not a former/commissioned officer, I’m not in the same member catogory as they are. My insurance isn’t thru USAA itself, it’s through a subsidiary called USAA General Indemnity Company, which isn’t a “Texas Insurance Exchange” but a Delaware corporation. Actual USAA members get some kind of subscriber account where their insurance payments are stored, and they all collectively insure each other, along with the USAA itself, but I don’t get that benefit since I’m enlisted. But USAA is the best institution I’ve ever been with for banking, I could get better insurance rates with Geico or Progressive, but I trust USAA more than anyone else.

25. Tracy Sylvis says:

Tout d’abord, permettre à la valeur de ma famille le commandement d’une personne au cours de cette affaire. Même si ce n’est certainement flambant neuf, néanmoins peu de temps après l’enregistrement de votre site, cette intelligence a explosé en profondeur. Laissez-nous tous pour s’emparer de son rss pour aider à garder le contact avec à tous les messages probables Sincère comprendre mais le transmettre à aider les admirateurs et ma personne sont membres vivants